Sentence for execution due to being a Christian

Habakure

I've just read this (going to do a bit more digging):-

http://act.amnestyusa.org/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1839&ea.campaign.id=28558&ea.tracking.id=MessagingCategory_PrisonersandPeopleatRisk~Country_Sudan~MessagingCategory_Women%27sRights~Region_Africa~MessagingCategory_DeathPenalty-international

So, in this day and age we still kill people for being different? Kind of makes you want to stick your head in a microwave and let the intense heat fry your brain.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say we split the countries where these nutters want to impose barbaric laws.  Like NK/SK.  Everyone that wants to live a normal life moves to the free zone.  Everyone that wants to enforce Sharia law/live in a cave/*suitcase* in a bucket in the dark lives in the other.  No one is allowed to be held in either zone against their will and no one is allowed to enter their opposing zone to spout BS/terrorize the people.  And everyone can live in peace.  Shame some people couldn't stick to it.

Unfortunately the religions that end up with fanatical follows dont have "sit down quietly and have a nice think about the "truth" you have come to realise and generally keep it to yourself and dont make a fuss" as one of their tenets, it'd be nice if they did!

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly as they have done for 1000s of years lol. Unlikely to change anytime soon but the fact is we are currently in the least bloody time in human history (shocking as that sounds) theres also a direct correlation to people who dont believe in magic anymore.

The less people believe it religion - The less bloody and violent we become.

It is after all the source of the majority of wars since the dawn of civilisation.

Exactly as they have done for 1000s of years lol. Unlikely to change anytime soon but the fact is we are currently in the least bloody time in human history (shocking as that sounds) theres also a direct correlation to people who dont believe in magic anymore.

The less people believe it religion - The less bloody and violent we become.

It is after all the source of the majority of wars since the dawn of civilisation.

That's not entirely true.

Humans will continue to engage in conflict, regardless of religion. The 20th century is known as the "Century of Warfare" by historians. Several of the major wars during that period had nothing to do with religion. In fact, the two greatest wars in human history (WWI and WWII) had little to do with religion.

To say that religion is the "source of the majority of wars since the dawn of civilization" is an uneducated generalization. A historian would say that religion is the excuse used for a majority of wars since the dawn of civilization. Territorial and political aims typically guide conflict, and the governments of the involved countries typically utilize religion to galvanize its population against their opponents.

As for the original topic, what else is new? Christians have been killed for their faith since Christianity was established. The New Testament even warns its followers to expect persecution.

Could have chosen a better selection of words and crafted it better. Then again im not a historian or anything.

1& 2 not so much apart from the Halocaust... but there are a hell of a lot of smaller civil wars around the globe. Think about things like the oppression of woman in the Middle East & Africa- Cause religion. FGM - Cause religion. The Dark Ages, 800 years where science was heresy - religion, 9/11 & 7/7 - more of the same. The young pregnant woman who was just stoned to death, Malala a child being executed, you guessed it religion. Yes there are 1000s of crimes across the world with no religious basis but that isnt the point.

It is said a lot by many people including Havard Proffessors that we are living in one of the most peaceful times in history. Regardless of whether it is known as 'The Age of Warfare' which I expect is more to do with the tech and advancements made in war rather than wars themselves.

FGM is not caused by religion. It is by religious state yes and a way of controlling. It's misogyny plain and simple. Another example of the media dumbing down a serious problem so we can point and go:- 'religion is at fault, not a bunch of sick idiots who'll find any excuse to control women'.

Regarding war. It's pretty self evident that there are a shed load of wars going on. Invading Iraq and Afghanistan, had nothing to do wth religion. North and South Korea, politics. Vietnam, you guessed it politics.

That's not to say there arnt a fair few religious secs, who are using violence to get what they want. Far from it. Banning never works. It's a short term gain that doesn't last.

Edit:- but religion has no place in politics. Which we still have. But people should be free to believe what they want, just so long as it doesn't mean hurting others (either by persecution or physical violence).

Religion should be taken out of the education system completely untill kids are at least 14 years old and mature enough to make their own choices .

As said earlier it has been the cause of so many wars and atrocities and still is.

Even the most peacefull religions have been dragged into religious wars ( Buddhists ) Tamil Tigers issues .

I also think it is yet another form of population/ people control put in place and used by the powers that be .

People should try and be the best person that they can be . Rather than follow unproven ideologys and gods .

'Religion' isnt to blame, its cultural. That is their backward dark age undeveloped culture (from our POV), they just happen to be religious and thus put it in a religious context.

You think if you proved to them there was no god they would all just quit the crazy *suitcase* they do and live good lives?

After all no athiest ever has murderd someone or done *fruitcage*ed up things and athiests have never killed en mass, right?.... right?

No athiest has ever opressed or murderd in the nane of athiesm.. right?

Oh no thats right they have done all that stuff.

This is nothing to do with culture . This is a sentence to death for refusing to accept the religious beliefs that they all share . Their one track blinkered forced religious beliefs will be the cause of this persons death .

Yeah they are being sentanced to death for a 'religious' crime. the people who decided they must dies interpritation of religion, not religion or Islam. Influenced by there own prejudice and beliefs.

Not every muslim who believes in a god agrees, hell not even every muslim in that town of the same sect agrees. As evidenced by the fact they willingly marry against their own faith and are persecuted by a section of their community. It is the people in powers USE of religion to force their own views and cultural biases against others.

If i ran you over with a car because aliens told me to, would you blame the car? the aliens? or me?

if i attacked you because you are an a adulterer in the name of religion you blame all religion?

Certain cultures treat women as secound class and use them as comedities ect. Its cultural, not religious. Humanitys problems are far more complex and *fruitcage*ed up than 'people do bad because they believe in sky people' .

It's a moot point I suppose but I wonder how they would justify it without a sketchy interpretation from a magic book. Purely down to the fact that some people are just plain barbaric?

The Abrahamic religions were born out of the harshness of the desert and the brutality in the writings reflects that.  Having said that, religion will be here to stay. The main danger of it is not the beliefs of individuals but the authority of organised religion when it teams up with Government. We have bishops in the house of lords by virtue of them being Bishops. We aren't as "modern" as we'd like to think, whatever that means.

Consideration of religiosity and religious tensions is key when trying to understand why this happened. Literally millions of people died in the the Sudanese Civil Wars fought in the last century. These wars were primarily fought because of the religious animosity between Muslims and Christians. In addition, Sudan's history is intertwined with orthodox religion. Just in modern history this can be seen from Mahdi Jihad against the British in the Victorian Anglo-Sudan Wars to the protection of Osama Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda in the 1990's.

Context is key when analysing acts like these. Our supposedly 'Enlightened' mindsets struggle to understand situations like this, the application of Western rationalism and reason cannot justify these acts. Mainly because rationalism and religion are incompatible. Religion at the core is based on the concept of faith, a concept that defies the need of rationalism for evidence.

Understanding the contextual combination of orthodox religiosity with religious tensions helps us to understand why in this situation, the killing of 'people for being different' still happens.

Islam is a religion which along with the religion side it has another book and message

So as well as look at this merciful Allah look at this vengeful Allah look at this man who I spoke to to bring you the word of allah thou shalt not have another sky wizard thou shalt eat this and this not that thou shalt not kill etc.

it has a whole book dedicated to the rules of the Islamic state.

Dictating not just food and worship times not just rules for believers but rules for none believers who are allowed through the mercy of allah to live in the islamic state. ( which according to the book MUST be all of the world and anything other is an abomination)Dictating amongst other things that all none believers must pay a fine to be allowed.to live and which infidel faiths would be allowed to pay said fine. It isn't just a religion it's a complete culture being treated as a never changeable truth.

Most other religions at their core don't drill their believers from birth that their faith MUST be the ruling body of the entire world and all others must be subjegated and forced to pay danegeld to live and eat.

You don't see Lutherans or sikhs demand that where ever they live change to a totally religious law where vicars or a guru are to be the judge and jury.

As much as some Christian groups argue for Christianity to have an influence in the law. Discussions of judeo-christian ethics being the cornerstones of western law etc etc etc.They don't generally call for everyone who doesn't worship their brand of sky wizard to have to pay a tax to the Archbishop of Canterbury to be allowed to live in England.

Yes I know there have been in the past tithes to the church which paid for the church and a church court. However at the time that was for the most part solely focused on punishing.members of the congregation for theological sin and other than the whim of the local Lord was the only court system other than the star chamber.

Also yes I am aware of the crusades and the attendant attempts to forcibly convert people along with the barring of groups from particular trades by church edict.

But the majority of religions today are not political organisations holding power and control of states and do not argue they should. Nor are there baptist gendarmes operating with the ability to legally drag me from.my bed and force feed me fruitcake for my 'crime' of wearing a tee shirt with a funny picture of jesus on it.

Well, how about this:

Over here, a cop lost his job and was arrested on ###### charges because he dared to issue a speeding ticket to an archbishop.

A priest refused to call an ambulance to his lover, who was 18 at the time and giving birth. The child died. Nobody even bothered to find the *bramston pickle* and prosecute him for neglect that led to the baby's death.

Pedophile priests got shuffled between parishes and their victims were terrorized into silence in what was actually a terrifyingly common practice over here. A bishop wanted in a pretty recent pedophilia case in the Dominican Republic fled back here, not bothered by anyone, and when the prosecutors wised up, he bailed to Vatican claiming that as a citizen of Vatican, he cannot be held responsible under Polish law.

A redemptorist friar running a radio station embezzled millions donated to him for the purpose of saving a local shipyard. The only person to challenge him on that died in a mysterious car crash, on a straight road, in good weather.

Year after year, the government spends millions on the construction of a massive *fruitcage* church, with the excuse that they're funding "a museum dedicated to John Paul II", conveniently located in that church.

"Catholic doctors" sign a "Declaration of Conscience" that goes against the Hippocratic Oath and the local regulations. At least you in the UK told this sort of hypocritical hucksters to go and *fruitcage* themselves with a fresh saguaro, because if they want to believe in that mumbo jumbo, they should be kept out of the medical profession.

Now if you excuse me, I'll stick to my guns. Because over here, the priests are treated like the *fruitcage* mullahs, having the last word on everything and living on whatever they can con out of the gullible morons called the general public and the corrupt wankers called the government. Before every election, there's a massive priestly *albatross*-kissing fest that includes almost every party, yes, the commies being among them. One example of the priestly *albatross*-kissing was the refusal by the Ministry of Administration to register the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster over here, on the grounds of it being "a fake religion made up only to mock real ones".

Archived