Shark Gear-Pantac color compatibility

Achaian

I am looking to upgrade my vest and after alot of browsing it seems that i will be going for a MTV vest. The MTV is made by Pantac-Flyye-Shark Gear. The 300$ value of the vest, without taking into account the extra cost for pouches,is what makes me hesitate to go for a Pantac or Flyye one.

The Shark Gear one is half the cost of the other two, but since i will be going for an OD as well as a CB loadout i would like to ask if any of you fellow operators whether the Pantac-Shark Gear combination of vest and pouches would seem off.

If anyone has a pic of similar loadout where the color difference,if any, would be displayed,that would help me out a lot in deciding which way to go.

Thanks in advance,

Achaian

I know it's of little help, but I've never even heard of Shark Gear.  Do you have Pantac pouches already?  Or, are you unable to locate Shark Gear pouches to go with a possible vest from them?  I can understand your hesitation over the cost, but the quality of Pantac and Flyye is excellent.  You could consider a different vest option, perhaps.  A lot of Pantac vests can be gotten with pouches for less than $300(CIRAS, mmmmm)  The MTV was pretty quickly dropped after a lot of complaints, not sure if the Pantac model is based on the modified MTV that fixed some of those problems.

Sorry I couldn't answer your actual question  :pioneer:

Thanks for your input! I found Shark Gear on Rsov.

http://www.rsov.com/product.php?langId=1&currencyId=1&manufacturerId=10&prodId=12659&cateId=243

Seems to be new and it is the only other company besides Pantac-Flyye who makes the MTV.  Regarding the MTV choice it has to do mostly with the really wide shoulder straps that will help me in even distribution of the vest`s weight on my shoulders, as well as the need for a full molle platform for my loadout. i have been using the Pantac Body Armor so far and i am really happy with it, but the lack of molle especially on the side as well as to the front of the vest is making me look at the MTV. 

Have you worn one before?  I have not, but I remember hearing a lot of complaints when they were issued a few years back.  Worth looking into, for the price you'll be dropping on it.  For shoulder pads, you have other options, like putting HSGI pads onto whatever vest you get($20 and EXTREMELY comfortable).  I've run a Pantac CIRAS for a few years, recently added some First Spear pads to it(and because I was indecisive, HSGI pads underneath them :unsure: ) and it provides quite a bit of MOLLE space.

However, if you're set on an MTV, rather than dish out $300 for Pantac or Flyye, I'd say look for a real one, that's well within the price range for a used one.  I don't mean to seem too biased against the MTV, as I said, I have no personal experience with it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USMC-MTV-/181439753394?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item2a3ea6ecb2

I looked around some, but couldn't find any color comparisons of anything with Shark Gear.  It's hard to find information on the sort of Chinese stuff you find on sites like rsov, since they aren't nearly so widespread as other brands.

As seraphim989 said, I would go for pantac or flyye, both are proven high quality manufacturers, but If you can get hold of a second hand real one, thats the way to go.

I have almost cero info about the Shark Gear and being so low price, I wouldnt be surprised if it was a cheap nylon copy.

After having used quite a lot of ACM gear, I still prefer shelling a bit of money and get the real deal (or pantac, oflyye) once I know thats what works better for me, not only for durability but because once it is used in the field, it looks aaaaawesome ;)

An MBAV or similar vest would provide more or less the same MOLLE space while being MUCH more comfortable. The padding on the shoulders can be solved with different alternatives, but even the standard ones are comfy for me.

2_zps12371a6b.jpg

Thanks all again for your help!

@seraphim989: I can't get a definite feel whether there are more haters of the mtv than the ones who swear it's the best vest they have been issued.the ciras is an option, but it seems way too bulky on the area between chest and groin.in regards to the shoulder pads that is some great advice thanks!

@Isamu: generally I follow the guideline that you speak of. The combination of the financial crisis and the constant change of BDUs by my team lead me to a dual OD-CB load out, so it is rather difficult for a dual flyye or pantac set. That is why I was considering the shark gear one.

@wingmann:do you have personal experience with the mbav mate? It seems to be rather slim on the shoulder straps. Is the weight distribution when fully loaded bearable?

To be honest, Im not very fuzzzed about colors in my gear, I have a mostly khaki set and a mostly OD set. The OD one has some Ranger green, khaki and slightly different OD shade in some pouches, while the Khaki one has some TAN, Multicam new shoulder pads by a different manufacturer, so I expect them to not match

Not to mention the first line, now that one has some serious color mismatching :lol:

@wingmann:do you have personal experience with the mbav mate? It seems to be rather slim on the shoulder straps. Is the weight distribution when fully loaded bearable?

I've used mine quite a lot and it's always been comfy to wear. I use it with several pouches and a MAP backpack plus a combat belt. No problems.

fr1.jpg

IMG_20120331_123133.jpg

FR6.jpg

I am also super OCD about colour matching, so I get where he is coming from.  The CIRAS is definitely a big vest, no doubt about it.  You could try out the MBAV.  I also think the shoulder pads look a little thin, but if you get it and decide they are inadequate, you could always fit some aftermarket pads like the one's I mentioned before

Your suggestions have made me  to reevaluate the entire concept of what i would like to have my rig do best. I did not take into account that in Greece a big part of the year the temperature is way above 20`Celcius and the heat must  deifinitely  be taken into account. the MTV is perhaps too all-encompassing as well as the CIRAS so perhaps a more lightweight rig could be in order. After lengthy discussions with some of my teammates one approach had got me into considering the Pantac RRV vest. Mobility seems great, the molle space while not as big as the full plate carriers can be adequate with some careful pouch management.

The ability to carry a backpack which can be dropped when encountering opforces, gives a better tactical approach to the loadout. And if the shoulder straps prove to be uncomofrtable, i can always use Seraphim989` advice for an HSGI addition.

I don`t think that i am sold to the MBAV yet but it definitely is an option. 

If you decide to go for the Chest rig route due to comfort reasons, forget the RRV, get yourself a Tactical Tailor 2 piece MAV with an X harness. I wore a Bulle clone and it was/is astonishingly comfortable, even with a MAP or similar. Stopped using it due to boredom and finding an almost new EI skd full molle chest rig for dirt cheap

Now, my gripe with the RRVs, I had one and sold it after some games with it, is that while they have a lot of real state molle, comfortabel and useful shoulder pads (molle, elastic retainers... etc) they are heavy and cumbersome for what a chest rig should be, which for me is light and low profile. If you are thinking about putting a back panel to an RRV to attach a MAP, just get a low profile plate carrier like the one wingman hinted, a 6094 or a FAPC

In short, get a TT 2 piece MAV with Xharness and forget everything else. BTW, its almost the same price or cheaper than some Pantac and flyye alternatives.

PS: I play in Madrid, Spain, where you can freeze off cold in winter and melt/cook yourself on your own sweat in summer, just so you have some more background on my opinions =)

That was fast Isamu! i think i get what you mean. I was thinking of adding  a back panel to the RRV since i consider my hydration panel essential. i will look into the TT MAV for sure. (though i haven`t come across it yet...)

Living in  similar climate conditions you do understand what my reservations are. perhaps a plate  carrier like the ones you mention above is in order.

I wouldn't say the RRV is a bad option, especially since it can be low profile with the bib removed, or much larger with a back panel.  That said, the MAV is a neat piece of kit, and quite cheap.  But, it sounds like Achaian wants a plate carrier, which the MAV is not, and something that provides a good bit of real estate.  While the MAV is adequate, it is hardly something you can load down with tons of stuff.  The MAV is also a very different look from the other things we've discussed, if style is a consideration.

I was going to post a picture of someone wearing a MAV, but the first one I could find on google that actually worked was a dude in a thong wearing a PACA and MAv, which, while hilarious, may not be ok for the forum

No, the RRV is not a bad option, but if the OP needs something light and comfortable, if I read it right as I usually rush through posts, while being able to attach a water source, the TT 2piece MAV is a better option (comfort an d lightness wise). Attaching a back pannel to a RRV is like carrying a plate carrier in the first place, IMHO, of course.

Funny enough, the 2P MAV (18 columns) has more real state than the RRV(16 columns) and with the X harness, he can attach a low profile molle water bladder (EI style) if he needs to carry more stuff. making the TT setup lighter, lower profile and can easily carry everything he may need to a skirmish. It is used by real soldiers too, so he can stay classy with it too

Of course at the end of the day, these are just my opinions, I believe the best route is allways watching a ton of pics and choose what you like the most. Now the OP has quite a lot of options to "google pic" for a looooong time :lol:

EDIT:

pics with hidration for cool guy points

tactical-tailor-2-piece-mav-marpat.jpg

ttmav1210-01.jpg

If you are now also looking into open designs check out the Weesatch/Wasatch. They are similar to an RRV on the front and already have the back attachment. No MOLLE on the sides though, but plenty of integrated space.

Sorry for taking so long to respond but real life caught up with me. In addition to that my team is under some serious restructuring and the matter of the vest may be taken out of my hands since we are probably going for full uniformity. I really appreciate all your feedback and help, but until the whole restructuring thing is complete, a final decision has to be postponed.

• 1 month later...

Just an update on things...

My team decided on a OD plate carrier approach, and a couple of days later i got hold of a Flyye MTV vest in a rather good price with a lot of pouches included. 

Alas Seraphim989 was right. The vest did not work for me at all, and after a test skirmish i decided to put it on sale... a pity since i got it rather cheap but what can you do right? 

So back to square on and looking pointedly on the Wasatch/RRV  route.

Achaian: When you speak about an RRV, do you mean something like a chest rig? if so i recommend again a tactical tailor MAV or MAV 2 piece and some tactical tailor universal mag pouches, nice, comfortable and quite "loadable".

If you prefer a dedicated plate carrier with back plate, I used a pantac 6094 for some time (now on display only) and it has some internal webbing from where I could thread a 2" belt and ditch the cummerbund, which made a HUGE difference in comfort

The RRV -Wasatch Solution is a "hybrid" solution as far as I can see. The team council was quite strict that we have to go the plate carrier path without any specific recommendation on which one. They were adamant that chest rigs will not be allowed.The RRV-Wasatch( with the addition of a MBSS for the RRV) is on the borderline between a traditional plate carrier and a chest rig, quite possibly combining the advantages of both.the absence of a cummerbund though troubles me, since I find that the cummerband would make the vest more form fitting and thus less wobbly on the run.the Molle space seems to be borderline adequate.

On the 6094 I find from the pics that I have seen that it seems to rest high above the belly possibly reducing the amount of Molle that I would like to have. besides that I do not find it aesthetically pleasing.

The MTV had a very small neck opening and although adjustable , when I tried to perform any crouching maneuver the front part of the u-shape neck was choking me. It was quite stiff, and it seemed like i was being throttled.

I wonder could I fit a cummerband with a RRV?

Archived