WE new products

fnc

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair point. But do they need to hear it over and over? Surely they've heard how we are better at R&D than they are enough.. Don't want to rub it in too much or they'll not go any further with it just out of spite!! ;)

I would also be very interested to know if they actually did look at forums like this and how useful they find our ingenious ideas!

Well no, an SMG fires a pistol round, frequently 9x19 mm. A PDW fires some other, more rifle-y round like the funny bullets the P90 and MP7 use, whatever the KAC PDW fires etc. etc. It's a blurry line between a short barrelled rifle and a 'PDW'.

You do get oddball PDWs like the russian PP2000 though. It's 9x19 and uses regular 9x19 rounds, but it has a special high pressure chamber so that you can stick in a fresh mag using 9x19+P+ rounds that are developing a pressure so high they become armour piercing.

It's been speculated that moving to smaller (e.g. 4.5 mm) BBs would give us immediately better performance, but there's quite a lot of industry inertia to overcome first...

More like economics, I doubt any manufacturer could justify the risk of making a gun that fires 4.5mm BBs then have to spend a considerable amount of money having the injection moulds produced to make the BBs which would only be sold to a very limited market and therefore due to the much lower production/sales volumes be priced much higher which would only serve to further put off any potential buyers.

Think how much more expensive heavy weight 6mm BBs are compared to your bog standard every day .2s made to the same size and may well be made using the same moulds then multiple the price a few times, it's not difficult to see why manufacturers of airsoft guns stick to 6mm, they don't even have to produce their own BBs if they don't want to.

Then there is the whole issue of who'd bother to stock smaller BBs with such a limited sales potential, I doubt the pros would really outweigh the cons.

The problem was a 300fps ICS M4 broke a car window.

Apparently they cut through the air so well there was little to no air resistance.

The science and reliability of this is sketchy to say the least as it was some time ago i read the article.

6mm is the market, it aint going to change. I expect there is a good reason 6mm was chosen and not 4.5mm. Possibly to make a big difference between airsoft and air pistols.

Personally I'd be a bit iffy about switching to 4.5mm as don't metal bbs for air pistols come in that size?

Yes, but ball-bearing balls also come in just about every other size imaginable, including 6mm and .63' (the same diameter as paintball markers).

The problem was a 300fps ICS M4 broke a car window.

Apparently they cut through the air so well there was little to no air resistance.

It goes one of two ways. Either an ICS M4 can break a car window at point-blank range with a regular 6mm BB (seems unlikely) and therefore it might also be able to do it with a dimpled BB, or it can't, and it can't do it with a dimpled BB either. Energy is what matters when it comes to breaking windows, not drag; as long as the BBs are of equal weight and speed their energy will be equal.

I expect there is a good reason 6mm was chosen and not 4.5mm.

Before airsoft settled into the 6mm calibre, there were all sorts of variants - 6-, 7-, and 8mm BBs, aspherical projectiles like diabolo pellets, the works. I had a spring-powered pneumatic revolver that shot rubber bullets like Minié balls. The general rule is that, for a given weight, the smaller and denser the projectile, the lesser the drag and therefore the further it travels. However, interaction with the hop-up rubber might work better with a larger-diameter projectile; it's hard to know without experimentation.

It goes one of two ways. Either an ICS M4 can break a car window at point-blank range with a regular 6mm BB (seems unlikely) and therefore it might also be able to do it with a dimpled BB, or it can't, and it can't do it with a dimpled BB either. Energy is what matters when it comes to breaking windows, not drag; as long as the BBs are of equal weight and speed their energy will be equal.

This.

The only other possible thing that would make a difference to a window breaking or not from BBs of the same size, same weight and same velocity is hardness. A soft plastic BB would deform on impact, expending energy while doing so. A harder BB would not deform on impact and would transfer all of its energy through the single point of impact.

I feel this has been done to death in the old Bioval thread.

Im not sure the PMM and P38 were scheduled for release any time soon. From what i recall of the barely comprehensible google translation it seemed like they were more "possible" releases rather then sure bets like the fancy pants glocks and stuff.

If you recall, even thought the pictures are gone now, the M84 was the only one they even bothered painting. So, I dont doubt they'll release them all eventually, but they might not be quite in the release pipeline yet.

Archived