Fire-Resistant Combats - Multicam

TheFull9

Fire Resistance isn't ever a criteria I've really worried about in airsoft and I'd imagine I'm far from alone in that, but I'm after some new apparel and I'm after stuff with good/high levels of FR.  Preferably that doesn't just wash right out as standard issue kit does.

After one each of the following in MC (ideal world it'd be MTP but I can't really see that happening and I can get away with MC):

-Combat cut shirt

-Field cut trousers

-Base layer t-shirt

-Gloves

-Balaclava

At the moment I've got an ICE FR combat shirt but it's been used a few times so I'd rather start with brand new stuff, it's also a bit odd in that it's all the same material and feels like pyjamas.

I've only really looked at Applied Orange so far, they seem to have a good reputation.  Had a tru-spec shirt a while back that said FR on the label but for the price it was I somehow doubt it'd give the performance I'm after if push came to shove.

So if anyone's got any suggestions at all of brands that make relevant gear please do throw them up, the more the merrier.  Price isn't really a big concern, neither's location of the store.

FR wise, eBay is your friend - look for the Patagonia and Crye flame retardant clothing. The US Army Combat Pants in Multicam are pretty much Crye Gen3s with a more 'ACU' look. Field wise the Patagonia and Crye ones are the only real option. Base layer, stick with a merino t-shirt OR, if you can find them, the US Army 'FREE' base layers (cheaper). We were issued FR shirts, underwear, and socks sourced through ADS. Shirt and underwear I forgot the manufacturer but the socks are from Darn Tough.

The Massif combat shirts are OK, and if you don't want to spend mad amounts of cash they're pretty much the best thing on the market - if you're willing to pony up for the Crye or Patagucci FR shirts (when they pop up on eBay) they're worth it IMO but I was issued the Massif shirt and pants and they worked just fine for most use. I ended up with some Patagucci FR pants that were more comfortable than the Massif pants, and cheaper to boot since no one has figured out that the Patagonia stuff is actually an improvement over the Crye clothing.

Any reason you want MC gloves? OR makes a wide range of FR gloves, mostly in tan/coyote.

Thanks for all the input guys, looks like there's tons of the US Army issue stuff on ebay.  Unfortunately finding the FR Crye stuff new and in vaguely my size is proving difficult but at least I know there's other options available.

How about 'normal' kit, and flame retardant spray? Is that an option?

Can't say I've heard/seen anything about that, but from the little I know of FR fabrics I can't imagine you'd ever get the same performance out of just spraying normal gear.  It'd make life a lot easier if it worked because then I could just treat any apparel I wanted, but it's not something I'd really trust to be honest.

Any reason you want MC gloves? OR makes a wide range of FR gloves, mostly in tan/coyote.

Useful post, thank you.  Didn't word my OP terribly well actually, long as the UBACS and trousers are MC that's all that matters; the OR gloves were something I was considering actually.

OR gloves wise I've got three sets which are flame retardant - OR Sentry (discontinued), OR Overlord Short, and OR Flashpoint. Thoughts on each:

Sentry - not combat gloves. These are, as the name suggests, for general purpose gloves. They're great, and I rocked the hell out of them in the cold. If you can find a pair, these are money makers.

Overlord - Made in the USA. 'Murica. Pretty solid gloves, survived three years of military use so far. Order up a size, these fit snug. They're like a (flame retardant) second skin, which for my line of work is pretty much required.

Flashpoint - Imported. Made in Commielandia. Good gloves, but not as well made as the Overlords. I just picked these up. These are getting use as utility gloves, since the Overlords offer much better dexterity for weapons manipulation. Good gloves, but I wouldn't pick up a pair again.

Can't say I've heard/seen anything about that, but from the little I know of FR fabrics I can't imagine you'd ever get the same performance out of just spraying normal gear.  It'd make life a lot easier if it worked because then I could just treat any apparel I wanted, but it's not something I'd really trust to be honest.

No worries, it's just something I've heard of, but know nothing about :)

PKM pretty much hit the nail on the head but I find the Massif shirts garbage if there is any other option present at all. For gloves I will cut my losses and either go with aviators with the key fingers cut off or mechanix knowing they aren't FR to any degree as more of a work glove.

Archived