Hi all.

Just a quick preview of my new toy, I had this delivered from Sniper-AS

imagejpg1_zpsea1a4317.jpg

While hesitant considering VFC's tales of woe I decided to jump in and pick up the 417 once it was available. 7.62 GBBR.. Say no more ;-)

The rifle comes in the typical Umarex box which cradles the rifle very well. In the box you'll find aside from the rifle and magazine, a hop up tool, manual and a bb loader. No thrills there but it's always handy to have another loader.

The rifle is nice and solid, the finishing also very nice. There is zero wobble between the upper and lower receiver. It's as if it's made from one piece of metal. In fact trying to disassemble it may cause injury if you're not careful. So yeah it's solid.

3397CB6D-1A38-4AA4-8615-7D3C2AABC0F6_zps

EA619D9E-FE6D-4D8C-807D-671B5CE34DC0_zps

The 417 has plenty of storage space for batteries and other things of similar size. It's quite a weighty piece of kit in its standard configuration, I'd imagine it to weigh a tonne with a few of the general household appliances attached.

The magazines while short and fat, are surprising light. Very light in fact. Also it's a real cap mag so you get only twenty rounds of rock and roll. Because of this, I think I'll make it DMR. I bought two spare magazines which I've yet to test, however the one in the box was gas tight.

I love how the mags slot and clunk into the gun, it feels really satisfying. Once it's in, there's no wobble either. I haven't had the chance to shoot the rifle on the range yet but dry firing indoors gave me a taste of things to come.

The way to describe it would be like using a pistol like a Beretta M9 or a 1911, then picking up a Desert Eagle and noticing the difference as a huge piece of material is slung back and forth. When you break that shot, the rifle seems to send a jolt through the receiver and buffer tube into your shoulder. But the jolt isn't a fast snap that of the little 5.56 counter part. It's almost moving in slow motion.. but not.

Either way it's a great experience to shoot.

Internal wise most of the fcg is made of steel, apart from the trigger. That unfortunately is not steel. The bolt carrier is not steel, just as well. But upon closer inspection there is steel reinforcement on the areas in contact with the bolt catch. I'm unsure if the hop up unit is of the older variety, out of the box the hop is all the way off.

imagejpg1_zpsbba702e0.jpg

Couple of things I'm not keen on

Charging handle: It feels cheap and there's a few mm of play between seated position and charging the rifle.

Selector switch: Nothing exciting about this, feels loose and it doesn't lock into select modes as it should.

For now these are my only issues with it, aside from that I really like it. I'm taking it to the range this week so I'm hoping it'll do well.

If you can spare 10 minutes here's the unboxing.

[VIDEO]

[/VIDEO]

imagejpg1_zps4eed862c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Took my 417 today for test firing. VFC 420mm inner with PDI W-Hold bucking, I could hit a man sized target at 80 meters 90% of the time. My gun works and feeds perfect on semi, with an occasional flye

Hi all.   Just a quick preview of my new toy, I had this delivered from Sniper-AS     While hesitant considering VFC's tales of woe I decided to jump in and pick up the 417 once it was availa

Looks great on the outside, but we all know VFCs are like that.  If (and that's a big *fruitcage* if) the gun works fine out of the box (HA!) I may actually get one, though if WE stops clowning aroun

Couple of things I'm not keen on

Charging handle: It feels cheap and there's a few mm of play between seated position and charging the rifle.

Selector switch: Nothing exciting about this, feels loose and it doesn't lock into select modes as it should.

Even on an RS there is a few mm of play, its to stop the cocking handle getting crushed by the BCG.  As for how cheap the cocking handle feels, while I agree on the lightness of the thing, I don't think I have seen a VFC cocking handle break yet, though they are noticeably lighter weight than an RS cocking handle.

Selector:  If its anything like the 416 (and it should since most modern manufacturer of 556 and 308 ARs try to keep FCGs the same between each platform), then it should have the same amount of play as the 416.

Mind you, the selector indent on the VFC is not a pointed indent like on an RS but rather a rounded indent, so a small amount of play does exist.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n
  • Like 1

Could you post up some pics of the internals?

Alright this is the state of affairs having fired 60 bbs through this system.

1969c55385f2113c8a9fe0666e4ab5bd_zps7016

00f6d35a4f698cdc9260c2a0431c69b4_zps748a

1269227f212ffe4760de55adf83b462d_zps0aa8

c4f251eaf36693d5dd773f19885a1b17_zps0a57

d1ea5707b2746ec7c46df4fb3ba618f6_zps7b3b

0af8747ed8d4f58ed7510bfc3a8826de_zpsad89

816c0767d12994504b78218d137b9374_zps801d

7db019f6843f4da65617df00f49b9fa4_zps677e

And I know I shouldn't read much into this but look what I found stamped into the nozzle...

81b17e1e2d478ccc76ae6e8365c4aa6a_zps029e

Also I weighed the Hk417 mag and compared it to other mags I have to hand.

GHK AKM (gas) 715g

GHK G5 610g

Hk417 450g

WE G36 415g

Systema M4 325g

I like the way the GFPA is secured but I don't like the cheesy way they added steel where the carrier engages the bolt catch.  From your picture it looks like they just added a screw, similar to the UMP design.  I much prefer the new steel insert on the 416 to the screw method but whatever.  The hop unit takes VSR buckings and if history is any indication, the stock bucking is worthless piece of and needs to be replaced immediately.

How is the wear on the bottom of the carrier?  Curious how the alloy will hold up to a steel (non-roller bearing) hammer.

Looks solid.  VSR rubber will pretty much increase the possibility of good consistent performance so there isn't much to ask for on the VFC HK417. 

The carrier wear depends on hammer tension and number of rounds.  VFC hammer spring are very light compared with RS so that shouldn't be an issue.  It has never been an issue on my VFC M4, though from the shop I find that some people did have issues with the earlier BCG (possibly because of age).

The two screws on the side of the BCG, is for the bolt catch, as it looks to be functioning from both sides to spread the wear.  Thats a good move.

Also looks to be standard VFC M4 FCG, so also good news.

Question is now whether to get rid of my VFC M4 CQBR just to get this :P  Bigger mag = more energy in the system = large surface area for heat absorption = less cooldown.  Downside is 809mm on the 417 vs 672mm on the CQBR retracted for a SBR weapon.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n
  • Like 1

It looks like the screws in front of the bolt carrier are used to hold in a nozzle retainer.  I don't see the usual retainer that's inserted from the top.  The part sticking out near the bolt catch paddle may be the valve knocker lock.  I'm not 100% sure though.  

Kinda disappointing to hear the recoil isn't as crisp as the M4.  Would it be possible for you to measure the diameter of the nozzle o-ring?

From the picture, the retainer is still sitting at the top, its visible on the picture showing the top of the bolt.

The 308/762 AR doesn't cycle as crisp as the  223/556 AR either.  Its a longer  bolt travel distance and recoil impulse is heavier and slower also.

• Like 1

The screw is a good idea in my opinion as for the most part it will not be visible and it offers an easily replaceable option if it were to ever wear down. The VFC is wholly based on the WA platform so this is no surprise, it's basically a more realistic WA system.

I wonder why they skimped out on the trigger seeing as how steel parts oem from vfc are so cheap. If they're m4/416 compatible, would you mind picking up a steel m4 trigger and testing it?

The switch on the top of the mag is to disable the bolt catch right?

yep that's right.

How is the wear on the bottom of the carrier?  Curious how the alloy will hold up to a steel (non-roller bearing) hammer.

It's not going too bad, just minor paint wear.

0b92d638e3c38845209341003d7ee3e6_zps8c71

701a3dee8f2e3ff6b82356b8d49b9723_zpse9d4

Would it be possible for you to measure the diameter of the nozzle o-ring?

I'll have a look into it

would you mind picking up a steel m4 trigger and testing it?

I wasn't planning on getting one for it, does that part have to be steel? I mean I know it's an integral part of any gun but is it subjected to forces which would call it be made from nothing else but steel? If yes then I could perhaps have a pop at it.

Also here's a photo of the buffer and spring.

b32243fa863cefb5ac0335264f4bb3f2_zps294d

I only see the mock cam pin, but not the other half like on the VFC M4 that the nozzle actually contacts.  I guess we'll just have to wait for a disassembly to find out.  

Hmm, my 416's only have the fake cam pin as the nozzle guide.  I think you might have an older M4 carrier design...

The screw is a good idea in my opinion as for the most part it will not be visible and it offers an easily replaceable option if it were to ever wear down. The VFC is wholly based on the WA platform so this is no surprise, it's basically a more realistic WA system.

I wonder why they skimped out on the trigger seeing as how steel parts oem from vfc are so cheap. If they're m4/416 compatible, would you mind picking up a steel m4 trigger and testing it?

I definitely prefer the method that VFC used when they released their latest M4/HK415 carrier with the steel insert.  They sell the inserts for CHEAP and it looks more pleasing.  So far I haven't had any issue with the steel insert...but I might have just jinxed myself...

Hmm, my 416's only have the fake cam pin as the nozzle guide.  I think you might have an older M4 carrier design...

http://www.wgcshop.com/WGC_Shop/images/vfc_pt_blt_416g_zn01_l.jpg

I mean like in this picture, bottom section.  The mock cam pin should be separate from the actual nozzle guide.  On the 417 carrier I only see the cam pin, but not the actual nozzle guide.

Edited by vilerk

The cam pin bolt retractor IS also the nozzle guide on the HK416 bolt.

Even on the older VFC/WA M4 the plastic bolt retractor IS the nozzle guide.

I guess we will wait and see it up close when it arrives here.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n