Radios/ Comms Equipment

hudsons89

My entire team kitted itself out two weeks ago with Baofeng BF-888S radios. I think we bought 10 of them at £10 each plus one of the data cables you need to programme them. I have to say, I'm very impressed - I thought they would be awful, but they're actually brilliant. The radio feels solid, it's stupidly simple to use, and has all the functionality you need for airsoft - plus, it includes a headset and PTT (not the highest-end thing I've ever used, but it works fine) and a belt clip which fits MOLLE just fine. I really cannot stress enough how much more realistic airsoft feels with high-quality radio chatter in your ear, and the ability to communicate objectives, movements and other observations quickly and quietly was extremely useful. At that price, you won't spend a better £10-15 in airsoft.

Aod on here uses what I think is Baofeng's UV-5R (about twice the price of the BF-888S) which is a much more advanced model.

What I would recommend above all is that you establish who you're hoping to use the radio(s) with. The more players you can communicate with, the better, which is what made a team buy such a sensible option - we're all using the same gear, which means we have inherent compatibility and redundancy. Once you know the radios that everybody else uses, and their capabilities, it's much easier to work out what you should be buying.

Hi,

What would you recommend for someone looking to get a two-way radio set for Airsoft. 

Are there any makes I should avoid, any you'd recommend?

Likely price range?

Specs I should keep and eye out for?

As always thanks!

If you do go for the Baofeng radios you will have to program them, the Baofeng BF-888S UHF 400-470 MHz radios can be set-up for UK PMR446. There are a bunch of Youtube Video's that show you how to program the PMR446 frequencies.

Alternatively you can go for something like the Motorola TLKR T60, you can pick two up for £42 on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360930406287?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 You can also get some really good priced covert heads sets for them :-)

I'm looking at getting some radios at present so will keep this thread updated with my progress and any info on programming the Boafeng if I do for them.

Looked into this a bit more as the site I played at the weekend was running "BaoFeng BF-888S" radios and some of the players also used these as well. For you to legally use these radios you must program them to the licence free PMR446 channels and they must transmit no more than 500mW (there is a Youtube video somewhere that shows you how to set this up). 

The information on the PMR446 channels is as follows:

Technical information
Analog PMR446 covers band 446.0 - 446.1 MHz and digital dPMR/DMR cover 446.1 - 446.2 MHz; CEPT envisions that the digital band may be extended onto analog band in the future.

Radios may now have removable antennae as long as the ERP does not exceed 500mW.

Analogue FM
Analogue PMR uses eight FM channels separated by 12.5 kHz from each other. Per regulation, maximum power, like FRS, is 500 mW ERP and equipment must be used on a mobile basis. CTCSS is usually used, with more upmarket models also featuring DCS.

PMR Channel Frequency (MHz)
1 446.00625
2 446.01875
3 446.03125
4 446.04375
5 446.05625
6 446.06875
7 446.08125
8 446.09375

Digital FDMA
Digital dPMR446 uses sixteen digital voice channels separated by 6.25 kHz from each other with 4-Level FSK modulation at 3.6 kbit/s.

dPMR446 Channel Frequency (MHz)
1 446.103125
2 446.109375
3 446.115625
4 446.121875
5 446.128125
6 446.134375
7 446.140625
8 446.146875
9 446.153125
10 446.159375
11 446.165625
12 446.171875
13 446.178125
14 446.184375
15 446.190625
16 446.196875

Range
The range of PMR446, just like any VHF or UHF radio, is dependent on many factors like environment (in-city range is far less than in an open field), height above surrounding obstructions, and, to a lesser extent, weather conditions. The antenna type and location, transmit power and receive sensitivity also affect range. However with PMR446 most of these variables are fixed at manufacturing to comply with the PMR446 specifications. Most of the time the maximum range that a user in a city can expect is a few hundred metres or less.

Range may be many kilometres, for example between hilltops, or only a few hundred metres, if for example a hill or large metal object is in the transmission path between radios. The best known long distance record is 333 mi (535.8 km) from Blyth in the United Kingdom to Almere, Netherlands.[1] This was the result of enhanced propagation conditions, not a line-of-sight signal.

Price wise I would say yes - I watched one go for £12 on fleebay and just seen a pair of them new for £23. I'm just waiting to hear back from someone to see if you can program ALL the 16 FDMA channels into them. The marshes were using channel 9 (as they called it) yesterday. The two guy's on the table next to me also had these radio's and used them for door work at a local club, he purchased 10 of them for around £100 with chargers ect..

Here's a pic from yesterday

c2847579-7190-4d28-bc9c-66c618e19a0f_zps

Headsets are also very cheap at under £5

headset_zps5c821953.jpg

They include a set of headsets, too. I'd be interested in knowing a full channel selection if you can tell me what they should be; I don't think ours were pre-programmed for FDMA/PMR446 and they presumably should be now we've got them.

Do you have the USB lead for the radio? If so you can plug it in and download the channel setup, it will look something like this:

BaofengBF-888_zps4abeb9cf.jpg

SOFTWARE INFO

With the BAO-888 Programmer you can begin a new “factory fresh” file into which frequencies and option settings are entered. Also you can read from the radio, store these details on your computer and make changes. Then send the new configuration back to the radio.

The Radio Programming Software allows you to create and save as many files as you want for your radio. Files can even be shared between users via email or the Internet. Any RT Systems Version 4.50 program can open a file from any other RT Systems Version 4.50 programmer... even from a different radio.

A couple of good links: 

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/Articles.asp?ID=450

http://http://miklor.com/

PLEASE REMEMBER - For you to use these radios in the UK they must be set to low power and not give out more than 500mW / Channel programming must be set to the information in this link: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/publication/ra_info/ra357.htm

Thankyou, that's very helpful. Another teammate does have the USB connector, and I'll probably buy one myself too (does this one look OK?).

Is there a step-by-step guide anywhere as to which frequencies would be sensible to use? The handset supports 16 preset channels. From what I can tell, there are 8 analogue PMR frequencies:

• 446.00625MHz
  • 446.01875MHz
  • 446.03125MHz
  • 446.04375MHz
  • 446.05625MHz
  • 446.06875MHz
  • 446.08125MHz
  • 446.09375MHz

I could program the radio to use those, but that would leave me with a further 8 channels on the radio that wouldn't do anything, correct? Can I programme the radio to use the 16 dPMR446 channels instead? Those are:

1. 446.103125MHz
  2. 446.109375MHz
  3. 446.115625MHz
  4. 446.121875MHz
  5. 446.128125MHz
  6. 446.134375MHz
  7. 446.140625MHz
  8. 446.146875MHz
  9. 446.153125MHz
  10. 446.159375MHz
  11. 446.165625MHz
  12. 446.171875MHz
  13. 446.178125MHz
  14. 446.184375MHz
  15. 446.190625MHz
  16. 446.196875MHz

That would give me all 16 channels, correct?

Ok - I did some reading on this and also spoke to someone I know who has around 40 of the BaoFeng BF-888S radios, apparently you "CANOT" program the BF-888S to work on the "dPMR 446 FREQUENCIES DIGITAL"

You can however program all 8 PMR 446 channels (MAIN PMR 446 FREQUENCIES ANALOGUE)and also program 8 sub channels IE;

THE UK PMR 446MHz LICENCE FREE FREQUENCIES ONLY
( 446.00625MHz to 446.09375MHz )

CHANNEL No1 to No8
Talk with any other UK 446MHz licence free walkie talkie on the same channel numbers.

CHANNEL No9 to No16
On same 8 UK PMR 446MHz licence free frequencies as above, but squelch toned (ctcss) this time so you hear no one else only other than the other walkie purchased with the same (ctcss).

Hope that makes sense, I have a pair on order and a USB cable so will be looking at this very soon. I'm going to have a look on the net to see if I can find a screen print of the settings, but so far this is what I have found;

ScreenShot2014-07-14at194002_zps4bfc561e

Why can't the BF-888S use the dPMR frequencies?

The 8 PMR channels are already overcrowded. CTCSS is all well and good, but I'm less interested in not hearing other people and more interested in other people not hearing me; with 16 channels to scan the chances of OPFOR stumbling across my team's channel is halved.

Why can't the BF-888S use the dPMR frequencies?

The 8 PMR channels are already overcrowded. CTCSS is all well and good, but I'm less interested in not hearing other people and more interested in other people not hearing me; with 16 channels to scan the chances of OPFOR stumbling across my team's channel is halved.

I was told you could not use dPMR frequencies with the 888s radios as the software wont let you program it??

Anyway your not limited to the PMR446 - providing you have a licence you could use the other 8 channels for what ever you want! As said I haven't had a chance to play with them yet but as soon as I do I will update this thread.

Hi All

I managed to get the frequencies correct and now I'm able to talk to a Motorola TLKR T50 that is a PMR446 radio. However, I have to use my channel 9 that is programmed with CTC/DSC DEC 67.0 to talk to the Motorola T50 on its channel 1 (have a look at the screen cap).

EDIT!!

I managed to set the channels to 0 on the Motorola so there is "NO" CTCSS. I now have two way communications, I would still like to know if I am going to have issues with other radio manufactures or is this common practice? I would think that most (if not all) manufactures let you select no sub channel so you can get comms between two different radio sets on PMR.

I think the only way to be 100% is to now get to a game and talk to as many people on different manufacture handsets as possible. The settings bellow will defiantly get comms up on the standard 8 x PMR446 channels if the other user is not on some silly sub channel!!

currentsettings_zps5a496782.png

• 2 weeks later...

What I said to Puresilver a fortnight ago;

Radio first because it will be quick;

The 888S will come with a load of channels programmed that are in the licenced bands here in the UK, I'd advise you not to transmit on those unless absolutely unavoidable, the potential repercussions can be considerable.

Programming the first 8 channels to the 8 PMR channels is a sensible idea, that's what I've done on all the UV-5Rs that I've programmed (about 15 now I think!). As for the last 8 channels, the dPMR446 channels would have been my suggestion.

OFCOM has reserved the 446.1-446.2 MHz band for use as the "digital, unlicensed bands", which means for use with digital PMR handsets only, however, because there are only two dPMR handsets available (the Icom ID-51E and the Icom IC-F4029SDR, ~£430 and ~£260 respectively), the number of legitimate users of the dPMR band is very low.

Because of this, the "Ham Radio community" has unofficially (and technically in violation of the law) started using the digital bands for analogue transmissions in what they have called the "unofficial CB band".

Many people have been using these channels in their chinese radios for a while now, seemingly without any consequences whatsoever. Due to the unlicensed nature of the PMR and dPMR bands in the UK, OFCOM essentially "wash their hands" of any and all complaints of crosstalk, overtalk and other such band interference that PMR and dPMR users may or do experience.

I would suggest that you consider which privacy codes to use carefully, given the difficulty of reprogramming the radio in the field. What I did with the UV-5Rs that I've programmed is set a CTCSS tone/code for the PMR channels 2-7 (Channels 1 and 8 are usually left "open" in the Ham community). This allows interoperability with conventional PMR handsets, most of which cannot use the digital privacy codes. To facilitate easy configuration for people with regular radios, a little note showing which PMR channel has which privacy code is usually a good idea.

On the other hand, for the dPMR bands, I use a DTCS privacy code on all eight and by preference, usually use channel 6 or 7 as they always seem to be clear.

To avoid interfering with any "legitimate" users, I try to spend about 5 minutes listening on the dPMR frequencies at the beginning of the day to see if any of them have digital transmissions taking place on them (you'll know them when you hear them)

• 1 month later...

I've got a Baofeng UV-5R coming form ebay. 

After only now reading the above im still confused on if i can actually use this radio legally without a licence. 

having read through the link form xrayhead, it mentions radios that can use other frequencies cannot use the PMR446 ones:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/publication/ra_info/ra357.htm

"5. RADIO EQUIPMENT

PMR 446 radio equipment must be handportable, have an integral antenna, have a maximum ERP of 500 mW and be compliant with ETS 300 296.

PMR 446 radio equipment must use the above frequencies only. Radio equipment which can operate on any other frequency, including Short Range Business Radio (SRBR) equipment capable of using frequencies in the 461 MHz band, must not be used for the PMR 446 service."

Im also confused on the 500 mW ERP power level and how i would set this up if i can in fact use the radio on the PMR446 frequencies. 

I was looking at the same radios,

The basic answer is no, technically you can't use them on PMR freqs, because the low power mode is still 1W output, i.e. double the max output.

However lots of people do and even use them on 5w output on PMR bands- ie. 10x the max output!

I have stuck with my TTI TXL's for now as they are 100% legal, but the Baofengs are legal to own (to use to receive) but transmitting at 5w would require a licence,

and even with a licence cant be legally used on PMR freqs due to power restrictions.

People ignore this and these radios seem very popular, however if you did get caught you could be prosecuted.

I'm still pondering the risks vs gain.

I'd love a more powerful, more professional style of radio with an interchangeable antenna for different roles.

Jim

The Baofengs are everywhere, and like Aod says the authorities have basically washed their hands of the PMR-446 frequencies; they don't seem to bother regulating them. The risk is pretty minimal and use is widespread, so I'd say you're perfectly safe to use them so long as you stick to the approved channels.

• 4 months later...

Archived