Stargate & Modelling/Painting Fans I need your help!

bankz5152

Hey chaps,

Finally after years of searching and waiting I have finally got my hands on a 1:1 Jaffa Serpent Guard Helmet! For the resonable price of £120!!

However it is unpainted and has no eyes...

Now im no stranger to painting models and the like but never done somthing this large before and Im almost certain I won't be able to get another so Im going to do as much research as possible with as many ideas as possible before I start painting.

First off heres what Im trying to achieve -

Serpent_Guard_head.jpg

Some more detailed pics here -

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8745574

Need some suggestions on what colour paints to use really. My idea was to start with a matte/flat medium/dark grey base primer. Though not sure what to use for the metallic grey-ish/silver/gun metal colour or even what type of paint? I assume spray cans would be the best for an even coat?

Detailing I think ill be alright but again not sure what paint to use. Only ever really worked with acryllics before. Would enamel paints be better? Especially for the gold outline?

Any ideas what to use for the eyes? I want them to glow, but thats as simple as a few red LEDs and some batteries...

Any help would be great thanks chaps!!

Josh.

For a metallic finish like that, I'd be heading straight for a tin of Humbrol Metalcote 27003 (Polished Steel), or 27004 (Gunmetal). However, it comes in tiny little tinlets. It's great stuff though. It drys matt, but you buff it up with a cloth. Looks just like metal! May be worth investing in an airbrush.

Maybe check out some videos on YouTube on how to age a prop to look metal and worn. Also, sometimes they'll paint a prop a certain way due to lighting etc. that means source photos might be off (maybe go on one of the stargaze forums as I found out how to make the stargate scope. I say make it's modify not made).

Thanks chaps. Im terrible with airbrushes, never had any good luck with them!

Sadly not mechanized... I saw Teal'cs original helmet go on propwerx - the mechanical one - for $10k.... Looked amazing though!!!

Personally always gone down the route of building multiple layers starting with a solid base coat.

Might pick up a tinlet of the Humbrol Gunmetal get a feel for the colour maybe try and find a rattlecan the same... or practice with an airbrush. Though I remmber those tinlets being rather pricey and this helmet is BIG

Thought about those too, probably use them for some detailing. Though i think generally they would come out too flat for larger areas.

Ill get the size up for this when i get home

Anyone got some ideas for the eyes? All i could think of was getting them vacuum formed but no idea how i would go about that...

I do eventually want to make/get a full set of armour to ware on special occasions lol. May be getting ahead of myself a little but I though of fitting a small wide angle camera in the front linked up to a small but quality moniter inside the helmet. So i can actually see when walking along! Coupled with coupious amounts of fans....

Ooooo didnt know they did that!! Ill grab a can tomorrow!

Hmm what does everyone of

Grey primer

Citadel gunmetal

Highlight/detail with humbrol gunmetal and rub for metal effect

What would people suggest for the gold? Bog standard enamel?

I have dark metallic spraypaint I found in Leroy-Merlin (so I assume it'd be easy to find), the color name is "Metallic Anthracite" or something like that, it comes in tall silvery cans. If you use it on a dark basecoat, it'll be a little darker than normal. But for the details? Brushie brushie brushie ;).

:D Tbf wasnt expecting so many replies so fast!

In an attempt to show the size. This is on a man around 5'10" slender athletic build.

Jaffa_Serpent_Guard.jpg

So yeah its frickin enourmous....

I shall research all the paints listed and soon as it arrives (this time next week hopefully!) Ill get some pics up!

EDIT -

It seems as though Games-Workshop no longer sell the Gun Metal spray paint :(. Though looking through their site again Boltgun Metal looks like its an almost exact colour. To get some texture going aswell I thought I could do a mixed primer. Medium Grey & Dark Grey/Black, hopefully this will create some sublte tone and texture. Then use this Humbrol to highlight various places where needed.

What do you guys think of that?

Yep hence why I was apprehensive about the humbrol tinlets!! Id end up spending a small fortune trying to paint this!

I reckon it will take 1 - 2 cans as a base coat!

People who air bursh....

How much coverage can I expect to get from one of those small Citadel paint pots? I assume it has to be thinned?

I would say before you start on the helmet, try out the paints on something similar and see if you can achieve the desired effect. Test before and see what works for you. That way you'll see what it looks like after it's dried which can be very different to when it is wet/drying.

Archived