Yep. I got one of these. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post it.

I had a lot of nice embedded pictures but upon trying to post i was notified that I wasn't "allowed to use that image extension on this community". All photos are now links embedded in the text (Either as bare links or hyperlinks).

(Review copy pasted from reddit)

I picked up the APS CAM870 Magnum: http://i.imgur.com/1UI9UDM.jpg

Oh boy, I've been lusting after this gun for a long time. This thing is the reason I haven't picked up the TM M870 yet.

Don't get me wrong, I love the TM 870. I had the chance to run it this summer in Japan and it was amazing! I just didn't need two 870s in my life yet. http://i.imgur.com/szfMZeE.jpg

So why the APS? A bunch of reasons:

1. Metal and wood. Yes I know the marui is also metal.

2. Pretty much completely real steel compatible. Functions just like the real one and takes many of the parts made for real ones.

3. Virtually no one else has one because it's so fugging expensive. I want to be speshul snowflake.

4. If it fits, it shoots. I'll get to this later.

The box it comes in is very nice. http://i.imgur.com/gN6s150.jpg

Although I feel like I've seen it somewhere else.....COUGH COUGH.

So it's not really original. But this gun sure as hell is! By the end of this little review thing you'll certainly understand why.

The gun and parts were held in very securely in this box. A lot of egg-carton-style cardboard bits that hold everything nice and tight.

Here is everything that comes with it:  http://i.imgur.com/6rRwo8C.jpg

You get:

1. The ScatterGat

2. 2 shells

3. A Manual

4. A Shell catcher that clasps on to the receiver (http://i.imgur.com/tyHluQw.jpg)

5. The CO2 Charger (http://i.imgur.com/uYfRjYW.jpg)

Now I want to **draw your attention to the manual**. It is a surprisingly top-notch manual. The english is quite coherent with some big words and fancy structures! The pictures are all pretty informative too. 

(Of note, remember that airsoft is not a real word in english, so it's not that weird that APS uses it to refer to airsoft guns.)

But the real star of this show is that APS has ***THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF AIRSOFT SAFETY*** which I wholly enjoyed reading. 

Some fun examples from the text:

>A superbly crafted airsoft is only as good as the hands that hold it.

>Kids are fascinated by airsofts. It's a natural curiousity that can have tragic consequences when no properly supervised.

>SHOOT SOBER!!!

Oh APS, I love you now.

Yes this will be on the test.

Back to the gun!

The wood on the stock and forend is gorgeous. Hyper smooth and looks oh-so-good.

The sights are boring Remington "rifle" shotgun sights. The rear sight is adjustable if that's your kind of thing. They work. They will also be replaced shortly. Too boring.

The trademarks are extremely realistic, just like on the APS CAM870! Bravo to APS on that.

Now this gun is really cool because pretty much all of the *airsoft* bits are contained in the shell. The bolt slides back to reveal.....

There is no inner barrel because this gun is a shotgun!

So with all the gassy bits contained in the shells, the CAM870 uses a firing pin on the bolt to release the gas.

So yes, a spring-loaded metal rod is released by a trigger-pull, slamming into the back of a plastic cylinder, which then releases rapidly expanding gas that launches projectiles down the barrel. This is an airsoft gun, I swear. ATFplsdontkill

Loading this gun is an intensive hands-on process, and because airsofters often look for the opposite of what real gun owners desire (We want more recoil, FFS) the process of chambering shells is awesome!

Step 7. BLAT! x7

If that doesn't sound totally awesome something may be wrong with you.

Each shell is charged with the fancy CO2 device, then you put a plastic wad in the shell to create a backing followed by 12 BBs and a cover slip of cardboard paper that holds the BBs in(which I didn't put on these shells so you can see inside).

But where's the fun in that?

The real reason to buy this gun is for the endless list of non-APS-approved projectiles!

I've only shot BBs from this gun once. It is simply too much fun sticking random *suitcase* (Not literal feces yet) I find into the shells and seeing what happens.

But kids please don't try this at home, do it at your friend's house instead!

If it fits, it shoots!

Now earlier I said this thing was real steel compatible. So naturally I have big plans for it.

This is what it looks like as of July 14th:

I know that most of you will probably disagree with me, but I do like the wood stock with the MOE forend. It's that good kind of weird.

Also, vertical grips on shotguns without pistol grips feel weird, and lights are awesome on shotguns.

Unfortunately real steel scope mounts do not fit as the trigger pins on the APS870 are not real steel spec.

So do I recommend it? Hell yes. Endless novelty for me. Is it skirmishable? Eh........I mean it works great as a scattergat, you'll just need to buy a lot of shells (A little pricey at $10 each!).

But in the end it's an extremely expensive item (**$519 retail!!!**). So I guess I wouldn't buy this at the asking price unless you fit in the target demographic. The gun is kind of like a shotgun version of a PTW/Inokatsu/WA/ETC. 

Expensive but hyper-realistic. It's for the people that have reached the "end of the line" so to speak and want to buy something cool that they can work on for a long time. I have big plans for this gun. 

And it is just sooooo satisfying to work the action. And shoot random objects out of. And then eject the shells across the room. And try to catch them. And...repeat.

So do I regret it? No, I don't. But it's probably because I have enough practical guns and this gun really fits what **I** wanted, which is something to fiddle around with. It does a damn good job at that.

I bought this gun from AirSplat. And if you plan to magpul it out and save money they also have a Magpul custom one, which is notable in that it's actually cheaper to buy it pre-assembled. I would've gotten that model except I wanted the wood.

For my final words in this review, I really do want to complement APS on this gun. They did something new, and did a damn good job at it. Not to mention something that is for an extremely small market niche, which **very few** companies aim for these days. I love seeing improvement, so between this and the UAR, I'm actually looking forward to future APS releases (Shrike especially). 

________

________

Again if you have any questions or requests, leave a comment.

Thanks for reading!
  • Like 2
  • Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With a few exceptions, this is the business plan of almost all the entire airsoft industry.

Awww yeah.  Super Shorty version incoming  

FPR steel bolt, looks much more realistic than the original, cycles the same as before.   

Posted Images

there is one thing i need to know about this gun and it can potentially destroy it.

please, for the safety of other airsofters, see if it can chamber and fire live rounds.

i know that the chamber has a slightly different shape than a real M870 chamber, so im guessing it wont even chamber real 12g shells, but regardless, someone has to try.

I'm thinking the firing pin is way too big, and hopefully not forceful enough to touch off a primer: http://i.imgur.com/qhIzIVe.jpg

But why would he do something destructive and dangerous like that?  For the safety of others?  Suppose I go hitting shotgun shells with a hammer, to see if it's a "safe" hammer?  Let the BATFE buy and break their own toys, don't do it for them.  

Also, the cruiser model is much cheaper:  http://www.evike.com/products/48501/

only because if someone comes to my field with one, if they can chamber and fire real shells(even if it explodes when it goes off), its a no go for field use for the same reason people cant use real shotguns with the madbull training shells.

Yet you allow hammers and vises in the tech room, dont you?

ALERT THE ATF!.

haha.

On a serious note, its a terrible idea for anyone to attempt to chamber a real shell for any reason, test or otherwise. As they would be risking both their gun, and their hands/face/head for what basically comes down to "Internet said to do it"

Edited by Brigg
  • Like 1

Compromise - what about one of those laser boresighters that has the firing pin activation switch? Same size and shape as a 'real' shell, and the firing cap will be in the same place.

Snap caps would be a safer option too I'd have thought.

Yet you allow hammers and vises in the tech room, dont you?

ALERT THE ATF!.

haha.

On a serious note, its a terrible idea for anyone to attempt to chamber a real shell for any reason, test or otherwise. As they would be risking both their gun, and their hands/face/head for what basically comes down to "Internet said to do it"

did i suggest how he should do the test? no, i only asked him to try it because nobody else has tested it yet. chambering a shell is harmless enough, but there are safe ways to pull the trigger from a distance.

regardless if VB will test if for us, someone has to try it and tell everyone if the gun is ultimately safe or not. the damned thing is too realistic to leave it in a gray area.

i dont give a *suitcase* about the ATF, i want the whole department *fruitcage* destroyed along with the NFA, but we still need to test certain things ourselves to make sure the game stays safe. i dont care if it will chamber and fire real shells with some modification and maybe a rebarrel, only if it can take and fire shells as its sold.

Edited by Horsem4n

did i suggest how he should do the test? no, i only asked him to try it because nobody else has tested it yet. chambering a shell is harmless enough, but there are safe ways to pull the trigger from a distance.

regardless if VB will test if for us, someone has to try it and tell everyone if the gun is ultimately safe or not. the damned thing is too realistic to leave it in a gray area.

i dont give a *suitcase* about the ATF, i want the whole department *fruitcage* destroyed along with the NFA, but we still need to test certain things ourselves to make sure the game stays safe. i dont care if it will chamber and fire real shells with some modification and maybe a rebarrel, only if it can take and fire shells as its sold.

If It was capable of firing 12 guage shells out of the box then it would not be legal to sell it without registration and transfers. So no. It cannot fire shotgun shells out of the box. Pretty sure the ATF would have been all over that.

Just a thought, are you going to reimburse him when it blows up and wrecks his gun?

um, no, i only asked him to. i fully expected him to just say "nah bro, *fruitcage* off." and i'm fine with that.

i have asked everyone that i have seen in the US with one of these (all of 3 people). nobody has yet to even try to chamber a shell.

im not surprised at all that nobody wants to test it. but i just dont think its safe to just assume it can't. if i had the money to buy one and wanted one, i sure as hell would have already tried.

at least measure the *fruitcage* shell to see if its true 12g in size. if its undersized like goblin and tanaka shells, i can put this *suitcase* to bed.

and brig, its absolutely possible that the ATF has no clue the gun exists yet.

Edited by Horsem4n
  • Like 1

I will assume that real shells won't work in this as I tried APS shells in a real 870.

The real firing pin misses the release valve.

The release on the back of the shell is a donut shape. The APS firing pin is big enough to depress the whole donut, whereas the real firing pin just hits the air in the middle.

• Like 1

Looks like wgcshop has the shortened variety in stock. That might be enough to make me get one. I like the idea of the full sized one, but I don't know how good of a primary weapon it would be.

The cruiser type could be slung as a secondary weapon which is a much more attractive option. Still not quite sure about those shell wads though. I'm uneasy about requiring consumables that might dry up and become unavailable.

Vorpal, would you happen to have any shotgun wads laying around? I'm kinda wondering if a regular shotgun was might work.

• Like 1

Looks like wgcshop has the shortened variety in stock. That might be enough to make me get one. I like the idea of the full sized one, but I don't know how good of a primary weapon it would be.

The cruiser type could be slung as a secondary weapon which is a much more attractive option. Still not quite sure about those shell wads though. I'm uneasy about requiring consumables that might dry up and become unavailable.

Vorpal, would you happen to have any shotgun wads laying around? I'm kinda wondering if a regular shotgun was might work.

Sure I'll try some real wads. But I've been re-using the APS ones so far. They only go 30 feet or so and splay outwards making them quite easy to see.

Still curious about the wads. Mostly because regular 12G wads are $10 for 500, and Im pretty sure you could make paper caps out of cardstock with no problem. That would make it much better then needing proprietary consumables. Since Im planning on using this for CQB skirmishing, picking up every wadding isnt going to be an option.

If you get the chance to, can you see if it shoots well just using some damp tissue as a wadding?  If theres some easy way to load the shells without those proprietary wads I might just buy one when Evike gets the short ones in.

Edited by Brigg

Furniture is real steel spec. I've seen a lot of them with the magpul stock installed.

The body pins are not though, so a scope mount I bought will not fit.

Real barrels are stopped by some ridges inside the APS receiver, but it looks like you could dremel them off to make it fit. Although I have seen some real steel barrels with channels that may fit the ridges. So some real steel barrels may work.

Only the pump "arms" were magnetic (of the externals, besides little things like screws and sling mounts).

Okay, so I took a damp paper towel and it seemed to work fine as a wad. You could also fit a ton more BBs into it (but I only loaded 12). Spread has notably more-spread-out and range stayed about the same.

However fruits and vegetables are the most fun to launch so far. It makes carrots and cherries completely explode at 17 meters.