So we should really be loading this thing "upside down" is what you're saying ? :o

Yup, especially you with the 88g adapter :) The upside down with the twin cartridges probably uses the liquid from the lower cartridge pushed by the pressure of the upper cartridge. In the right side up case the whole tube is an expansion camber and you are not getting any liquid CO2.  

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With a few exceptions, this is the business plan of almost all the entire airsoft industry.

Awww yeah.  Super Shorty version incoming  

FPR steel bolt, looks much more realistic than the original, cycles the same as before.   

Posted Images

Whelp got my shorty version from planeman. First thing's first - going to make a Drake Magpul shotgun.

Secondly, it seems the shell latches are worn or bent in a way that prevents me from loading the next shell - I might experiment on seeing if RS ones fit.

And of course, due to my stupid nature, I already broke the firing pin. Will also try to see if a RS one will work.

Aaah, so that's why he never responded to my tips :P

See my reply to planemans issue with the shell latches a few pages ago, see if that helps. If not post more pics and info and maybe we can sort it out.

You can get replacement latches from APS for 12 USD a pair.

RS ones may work though.

RS firing pin won't work since the strike face is an outer circle, not an inner circle one.

One thing to look out for, when loading the shells with CO2, if you don't get the lock-down tool in the right place (centered) you can actually have the tip hit the circled edges around the "primer" of the shell, deform the aluminum rim and this may very well be what breaks the firing pin. Because it would not be able to go into the hole it's supposed to and depress the "primer" in the shell. I have 2 shells that this has happened to.

Edited by NonEx

That's a very good point. Saw that in a video when looking for info on installation.  I think looking at Brownells schemtics they aren't even available for purchase. Yup.

The video said they were staked in there, not welded, but might differ from models or year of production.

Factory Discontinued

29 Item(s) Found

The following items have been discontinued by the factory. Click here for additional sources.

• #88 Shell Latch, Left
  • #89 Shell Latch, Right

http://www.brownells.com/schematics/Remington-/870-Express-sid2.aspx

RS firing pin won't work since the strike face is an outer circle, not an inner circle one.

From what I've seen from an APS bolt disassembly video, it seems the outer ring simply is friction fit onto an internal "firing pin".

Curious, but when the trigger is pulled, which part of the "firing pin" actually sets off the CO2 in the shell? I took a look at the shell, the only moving part seems to be the inner pin. So does the actual black part of the firing pin on the bolt hit the shell?

Edited by aznriptide859

Guess what came today.

IMG_0825.jpg

Guess what fit without a hitch.

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

Perfect fit. Only problem was the adapter screw - it's Imperial (I assume, since it started stripping the rear of my receiver). I had to swap it with a metric one I found in my parts box. Otherwise, perfect fit. A bit ticked off that the rail isn't what I was expecting though. I'll have to contact Midway and see if there's anything they can do about it.

• Like 1

I can never get over how the contours of those stocks only barely match those of the receiver. its looks sort of like if someone glued legos to an M870. To each his own though.

How did you manage to break your firing pin btw? Im just wondering if it happened like mine, where it happened through dry firing.

If you had read my previous posts about the screws you would of known it was metric :P

Also like I said check your shells for deformations/dimples around the primer on the shells, if you have metal bent in there it could be what snapped your firing pins.

I've dry fired mine with and without shells maybe 100-200 times so far, no broken pin :o

Ah wait, you mean dry firing without any shells in there at all ? Hmmm... Maybe it's like a real one where that's bad for the firing pin. Time to build some sorta snap cap contraption for empty APS CAM shells ? :P

Also, that shotgun looks like *suitcase* bro :P

Good to know the parts are drop in fit though.

Did you fix the shell latches ?

Edited by NonEx

But what's wrong with the shell latches in it now?

Maybe they are just out of place at the front like i described ?

Oh and I got my paper punch today. Taking some different weight paper home from work. 100, 120, 160, 250, 300. See what works and will let you know.

Edited by NonEx

Alright so I tried my paper punch today and some different weight paper as well.

The differense in size between OEM caps and my punched out 3/4" caps are neglible from the tests I've done so far.

300gr paper feels and behaves most like the OEM paper. However, due the the minimal extra diameter, it might be too tight. It will also depend on how many BBs you load and if you end caps end up concave or convex.

250gr paper noticably more flexible and flimsy than OEM and 300gr, but thanks to the slight oversize it seems to be able to work well.

160gr paper and below. Foget about it! (NY accent)

The sweet spot appears to be right around 250gr-280gr IMO.

Depending on how much finesse you use to put the caps in, it may very well impact end result. For these I tried to push them in softly and evenly to make the different materials more comparable.

Realisticly, when loading a lot of shells they won't look this nice I guess.

Here's a pic;

aps_cam_paper_weights_cap.jpg

As you can see, besides the color diff. between OEM and 300gr, they shaped and behaved almost identically.

250gr looks worse than it is due to the transluscent shell, poor choice by me.

As stated, 160gr is a no go.

This is the actual size difference between OEM cap and my 3/4" 300gr punched out cap;

aps_cam_paper_weights_cap_size_diff.jpg

To me, it seems that 9 or 10 BBs would be the ideal load for a good seal with the cap.

11 to 12 you start to push it and I'm not sure the paper caps will hold it in well enough,

Also, depending on 9-10 or 11-12 you end up with either a concave or convex paper cap.

Just thinking logically about it I would assume a convex cap gives less resistance when shooting out the wad, BBs and cap.

But realistictly, if you use OEM or 250gr-280gr paper, a concave cap should be fine as well.

To me the concave setup seems more secure, but I wonder what the cons are in terms of extra force and resistance when shooting.

Perhaps it might even be that the extra force and pressure required to push out a concave cap is benificial for ballistics and power?

Wonder how those two might affect the spread and trajectory though.

Right, so when pushing the waddings, BBs and caps out from the shell bodies, from the rear, by unscrewing the rear contianer, I noticed a clear differense in force required to push out the OEM ones and the 300gr ones, in concave setup. Not sure if that's good or bad as stated above, but 250-280gr paper you should be good to go.

aps_cam_concave_vs_convex.jpg

And finally, I got my blue rubber balls! (0.68" rubber Paintballs)

Fits like a glove!

aps_cam_rubber_pbs.jpg

Definately does not need any waddings or caps.

Edited by NonEx
  • Like 3

Here you go;

Rim diam: 21.0mm

Base diam: 19.62

Base total height (~tot. leng. - shell body leng.): 11.6mm

Rim lip thickness: 1.6mm

Total lenght: 56.5mm

Shell body lenght: 45.0mm

Shell body outer diam: 19.45mm

Shell body inner diam: 17.09mm

Anything else you need ?

Hopefully it makes sense what I am refering to with the above.

Edited by NonEx