• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With a few exceptions, this is the business plan of almost all the entire airsoft industry.

Awww yeah.  Super Shorty version incoming  

FPR steel bolt, looks much more realistic than the original, cycles the same as before.   

Posted Images

The shells are stupidly priced, $90 for 25 rounds? 

APS v1 CO2 smart shell = $7.8 each

APS v2 Plastic tube = $3.8 each 

You'd expect the plastic tube to be around $1 each, if that. 

They're almost exactly the same price as the Maruzen shells, but seem to have a lot more metal in their construction. I don't think we're going to see any shotgun system have much cheaper shells unless one that uses actual shotgun hulls comes to market.

What V2 plastic tube?

http://www.aps-concept.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_115&product_id=477 ?

They are $5 USD for 4 which is $1.25 USD each.

The shell hulls still have a lot of CNC machining and tight tolerances on them for the core so I would not really have expected them to be much cheaper than that. Also not sure what that triple gold colored banding is on the inside of the translucent shells. For even CO2 distribution? :o

I think it's just for the correct height so that the wad sits in the same place as the previous gen 1 shell. 

The thing is this doesn't have to be accurately CNC or have tight tolerances, it isn't even holding gas anymore, I was really hoping the shells for the gen 2 to be cheap enough to not mind if you lost one, but at basically 1/2 cost, I for some reason don't feel that it's justified, where as the gen 1 shell's price I can fully understand (and happily paid for). 

Oh well, it's all talk anyway, not like I'd be getting any of the gen 2s considering how few rounds it fires on a single charge. 

• Like 1

Man. Im really sad to hear that the APS shells are going the way of the dodo. I pretty much learned to machine making different guns that fired those things.

Ive started making regular GBBs now but I had planned for my next design to be a semi automatic APS. Hell, I even bothered to sit down and draw a schematic for it which I almost never do. Kinda seems pointless if the shells are going to be discontinued though. I mean, I guess I could design it around PPS shells but they hold so few BBs comparatively.

Well, there goes that I guess.

Edit: I might still make one more APS launcher as a send off I guess. Ive wanted to make an underslung launcher for a while now. seems like as good a time as any.

Edited by Brigg

^Don't think they will cease shell production, just think they had to do this as a "public" stunt so to speak.. assuming they've been getting a lot of issues with laws after those guys made their shotgun shoot real shells.

Man. Im really sad to hear that the APS shells are going the way of the dodo. I pretty much learned to machine making different guns that fired those things.

Ive started making regular GBBs now but I had planned for my next design to be a semi automatic APS. Hell, I even bothered to sit down and draw a schematic for it which I almost never do. Kinda seems pointless if the shells are going to be discontinued though. I mean, I guess I could design it around PPS shells but they hold so few BBs comparatively.

Well, there goes that I guess.

Edit: I might still make one more APS launcher as a send off I guess. Ive wanted to make an underslung launcher for a while now. seems like as good a time as any.

See this post: http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/213358-aps-cam870-impressions/?p=2771633

So I had something interesting happening today :o

Been cycling shells through my rebuilt custom shorty setup and found my action got super sticky and tough to cycle. It was sticky before but now it felt like something was broken inside.

I had a bolt plate break on me before due to my top mounted rail screws catching on the bolt (my bad) and it felt similar.

Did a full details trip, literally down to the last screw. Nothing strange with the bolt and the screws were clearing by a millimeter or so as well. 

So then I started experimenting with putting the bolt in on the for end tube rails alone and cycling it. Super smooth.

OK, strange I thought....

Then I noticed a big scratch mark on the top side of my magazine tube.

Turns out I had a big burr on the inside of my for end tube that was catching on the magazine tube as it cycles over it :o

Ran some 240, 400, 800 and 1200 sandpaper through the inside of the for end tube, lubed everything up and re-assembled and oh my Dog it is smooth as butter now :D

Must have been this way since day one pretty much, never been this smooth.

I don't know if you recall but in my APS CAM870 SAI unboxing video I was blown away by how smooth the action on that was: 

Around the 6:20 marker.

So yah, that was nice to find after all these years with sticky action!

Also been cycling the new APS CAM870 Smart Shells last 2 nights, maybe 100-200 dry cycles and dry fires (I push down 0.68" rubber paintball BBs in the shells and it kinda acts like a snap cap when dry firing). Super smooth and 0 feeding issues with those :D

Woop woop!

Got a ton of parts inbound to rebuild my gun to tacticool M4 stock, M4 grip, 16" threaded outer barrel and breach muzzle and fiber optic sight and all that good stuff :D

Oh, and I recorded my sponsored APS package unboxing yesterday. After I was done I was like "Hmmm... wasn't there something else in this package when I checked it the first time...?".... Checked the emails and delivery notice and indeed I was missing a part.

Checked through my trash (thought maybe it had stuck to the tape in the packaging), nothing.

Looked under my work table. Nothing.

Checked my boxes around the table. Nothing.

Finally had a look under my couch, and there it was. A beautiful TiN coated shell lifter for my APS CAM870 SAI build :)

Edited by NonEx

APS now have the MKII bolts for sale on their site for $56 USD ($66 USD for SAI model) and it's available in silver, black, gold and SAI TiN finishes.

Silver: http://www.aps-concept.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_115&product_id=1158

Black: http://www.aps-concept.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_115&product_id=1172 (pretty hot!)

Gold: http://www.aps-concept.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_115&product_id=1171

SAI TiN: http://www.aps-concept.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_115&product_id=1173

There's also spare fill valve kits for $11 USD for a pack of three.

http://www.aps-concept.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_115&product_id=1167

I would go ahead and try one just for the heck of it, but I just can't get over that 12-15 shot limit of the MKII system :|

Gonna stick with my smart shells for now :D

By the way. Has anyone tried the aftermarket steel shell rim/caps on their shells?

The APS OEM alu. shell caps get marred up real quick and wondering if the steel ones is a worthwhile investment in the long run. Shell latch arms are steel and mess up the shells during feeding, the extractor and ejector are also steel and mess up the finish. So perhaps steel on steel is the way to go.

Only thing is the smart shells have nice disassembly holes drilled in the caps and the aftermarket steel ones do not :(

And when I say investment I mean it. Like $25-30 USD for a pack of 4 steel shell rims...I am up to almost 100 shells now so that's... Hmmm... Oh about $600-700 USD... :o

Edited by NonEx

So I realized I have about 200 12g CO2 capsules that I can't use in my Smart Shells. So I Googled/eBayed and found this that I think will allow me to screw in a 12g capsule and use it in the smart shell filler to fill the smart shells. Great if you don't want to waste an 88g capsule or if they are more expensive, which they are for me.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=12g+88g+adapter&_sop=15

88B3-AC02LRG.jpg

Dangit. Was just doing some cleaning and maintenance on my APS CAM870 SAI and went to remove the screws for the bolt and one of the screw heads snapped clean off with very little force.

I applied some heat before to release the thread locker but it almost felt like it was already broken.

Any ideas?

mRdt8eO.jpg

TUrwamm.jpg

Ah yeah, that is true. It does. But that uses up 2x12g CO2 shells so the one I ordered that only takes one should be useful as well :D

Almost can't believe it but I managed to save it by drilling out just enough of the old screw so that I could re-tap it with the same thread/screw diameter and make it work :D

I tried cutting a slot in the screw first with a Dremel disc but the screw base was too narrow so the cut ate up almost all of the screw and when I tried to back it out with a flat head using the cut slot it just crumbled.

Minimal damage visible when assembled, and on the back side at that so it doesn't show when in the gun.

pasMTuV.jpg
Edited by NonEx