Lookin' good NonEx.

So you're going to copy the Special Weapons And Plastic approach and adjust the hole?
I was looking at a Mesa Tac. 8 round side saddle myself, but after measuring and mocking up I realized I would be unable to fit my GG&G rear sling mount with the side saddle installed, which is a bummer:
mesa_tactical_90420_02.jpg

Looking at the SWAP video I also noticed that you technically don't need to move one of the holes the entire distance, especially on a Mesa Tac 4-round side saddle which has quite thin walls round the mounting holes. You could just move each hole half the distance. But on these 6-round and 8-round saddles, there's quite a lot of material surrounding the front mounting hole, so that's no problem.

The TacStar saddle used by SWAP also has the plastic shell clamp to cover the surgery, which will hide any mistakes and rough edges.

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With a few exceptions, this is the business plan of almost all the entire airsoft industry.

Awww yeah.  Super Shorty version incoming  

FPR steel bolt, looks much more realistic than the original, cycles the same as before.   

Posted Images

Yeah I was planning on it but we're talking 0.5-1mm movement of one hole max so I should be able to manage :P

I don't think my 6-shell holder sits that far back towards the grip.

I messed up so badly with the PPS one that it was out of alignment so when I tightened down the nuts to get a tight fit the screws bent :|

Being the idiot that I am I didn't move the holes but rather made them bigger. But the center of the holes then of course remain in the same place so it didn't help much...  :P

Edited by NonEx
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my APS CAM870 shell front covers a week ago or so and have been tinkering with them a bit.

I really like the look of these. Perfect material and color match to the shell bodies, almost seamless fit. Took a few tries to figure out the proper technique to fit them.

Doesn't seem to affect BB capacity compared to the cardboard covers.

However, I am a bit concerned that the tight fit of these plastic lids will affect output and trajectory performance but it's not something I am likely to test and verify.

But, either way, I would highly recommend these, if nothing else then for display. Look bad *albatross* :D

My favorite one is the white/translucent one for display because if you load them with different things you can sort of see through the body and cap.

X3qwwx4.png

Left to right: 4.5mm chrome metal pellets (birdshot, BB), 6mm white plastic BBs (buckshot, #4), 0.68" blue foam paintballs (slugs)

vcmtK2l.png

Need to get me some 8mm BBs for that double-ought buckshot look (#00) :D

Edited by NonEx
  • Like 1

I messed up so badly with the PPS one that it was out of alignment so when I tightened down the nuts to get a tight fit the screws bent :|

Being the idiot that I am I didn't move the holes but rather made them bigger. But the center of the holes then of course remain in the same place so it didn't help much...  :P

Wait... doesn't the PPS side saddle have the same dimensions as the shell catcher? Can't you just modify the side saddle with a regular 5mm drill bit for metal?

The PPS Shell catcher doesn't sit 100% dead center on the APS pins, but when tightening the screws it works very well.

Yeah they are the same dimensions / specs. But I messed up the holes already and because they were not centered and I tightened it down too hard I bent the screws when the countersinking for the screws pushed it sideways. I have since thrown away both the PPS shell catcher and side sadle and starting over :P 

I would say it is less than half actually. Only thing is they are very sensitive about the fill angle. You gotta fill them at exactly a 90 degree angle +/- 0.5 degrees or else they spew gas when filling :o

Requires a bit of practice and technique.

I also tried leaving some smart shells filled with CO2 for 1-2 days and they seem to hold up fine :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Disclaimer: I am super sleepy right now so I might be completely wrong. I can double check it for you some time later. :| 

Not in the sense that you secure them in the filler and fill them . But you can attach the filler to an APS Smart Shell paintball tank adapter and then fill it from 2x12g CO2 capsules stored in the old shell filler. I am pretty sure at least, can't recall if I actually tried it :P

The old GEN1/MKI style shell filler thingie works differently in how CO2 is loaded into the shells.

• Like 1

Thanks NonEX

Next question:

MKII Shotguns seem to be only stocking now, so any "older generations" are not being sold it looks like - atleast in Canada,

Anyways, my question was,

Can you use the version 1 (smart and non smart shells) in the MKII shotguns without gassing up the bolt?