• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With a few exceptions, this is the business plan of almost all the entire airsoft industry.

Awww yeah.  Super Shorty version incoming  

FPR steel bolt, looks much more realistic than the original, cycles the same as before.   

Posted Images

So to confirm before I order from asia;

To use the cool PPS shell catcher (one that folds outwards)

I'll need

1) APS scope pins

2) PPS shotgun shell catcher

3) 5mm drill bit to make the hole bigger

4) Profit??

@Nonex, have you used yours yet? Is it better then the APS Shell catcher? Assuming you can load a shell in the ejection port now!

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. That or a Dremmel as you actually want to move one of the holes, not just make it larger. And preferably chamfer it to match the original countersink.

4. Yes

Yes I did use it and it worked very nicely. However as I cocked up the hole movement on mine and bent my APS scope pins I trashed it and will get a new one and do a better job with modding it :P

(I enlarged both holes to fit over the APS pin holes but of course then the center of the holes remain the same and it didn't really work when tightening down the APS scope bins which are conical on the ends, it pushed the catcher sideways and bent my pins.)

Yes I can load a shell in the ejection port by swinging open the PPS catcher.

And yes it is better than the APS one in that you can have scope mounts on top and it's easier to install/remove (somewhat) than the APS one. Also the swing open function and zipper function is very nice. Compared to APS zipper only function.

Also, as a bonus, I cut off the plastic "hood" of the original APS catcher and glued it in place under the meshing on the PPS to give the shells a "roof" to eject under rather than just a sagging mesh bag once a few shells are in there. That also worked out nicely.

In case you missed it SWAP has an excellent video explaining what and how to fit the PPS shell catcher to the APS :D

Edited by NonEx

Ghost loading video now available.

It might take some practice, but once you've got the hang of it, it's really easy:

I just tried this on my newly-acquired AOW, and it's jamming up when I cycle the action- both the ghost-loaded shell and the next one in the tube pop into the action, and it seizes up. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

So to confirm before I order from asia;

To use the cool PPS shell catcher (one that folds outwards)

I'll need

1) APS scope pins

2) PPS shotgun shell catcher

3) 5mm drill bit to make the hole bigger

4) Profit??

@Nonex, have you used yours yet? Is it better then the APS Shell catcher? Assuming you can load a shell in the ejection port now!

To repeat what NonEx so elegantly said: Yes x 4.

And CatGutViolin:

I recognize your problem since I have experienced it myself on one of my full length CAM870's. I can say that the problem is, much likely, not related to you or your ghost-loading technique. My full-length 4+1 CAM870P also seizes up by double feeding shells when it is ghost-loaded. And when I turned the shotgun upside-down I noticed that the left shell latch (part no. 870-17 in the CAM870 manual) was bent out of shape (APS call them "CAM870 ejecting plate" in their spare parts list, for some reason), and would not engage quickly enough to catch shell #2 when feeding the ghost shell, causing a double feed. On my AOW, the shell latch was in perfect working order, and I'm planing a "Tips & Tricks - CAM870 common problems" where I address this issue.

My only advise would be to buy a new pair of shell latches (or "ejecting plates") and hope they don't get bent during shipping. You could, technically, bend the faulty latch back into shape. But it is a precision part, and you would be doing it at your own risk.

Please update with any information and progress, since I am curious to see if this works out as good as I am hoping. If nothing else, I will cover the issue in season two.

Hey guys,

So I use to own a version 1 which I converted with all magpul furniture, sold it and totally regret it. Now I’m thinking of getting another one but see it’s mostly the MKII version sold.

Other than the change in now the gun itself being charged instead of the shells, is the MKII that much of a difference/upgrade than the original? Seeing if I should wait for an older version to show up on buy and sell board or pick up MKII.

You can get a MKII and put a "gen 1" bolt in, but that's additional costs.

The MKII seem to drop after 10 shots, and while I asked IPSC buddy here, 1 bolt fill, lasts about 10-14 shots.

As per him :)

V1 has more power than the MKII, v1 shells take the direct strike push through shell and barrel, but the MKII shells has to go through bolt, shell then push through barrel, could have high chance leaking and leak the power

I tested my MKII bolt last week. Filled it with CO2, let it sit for a day, and fired. Got about 5 shots out of it. Then filled it again, got a "put put put" leak from the bolt. Left it for a few hours, for 3-4 shots. Filled it again and tried to fire immediately, got like 8 shots out of it. I filled it for like 15-20 seconds each time in two separate bursts. Could be user error on my part or just lack of practice/experience.

I have also had people message me on Facebook and YouTube asking about MKII bolt leaks and broken firing pins etc.

For me personally I will stay away from MKII system for as long as possible.

As said above, and what APS recommended to me, buy an MKII rifle, and a separate MKI bolt and replace the bolt. Then use Smart Shells with it.

• 1 month later...

I've been experiencing some double feeding issues with my CAM870P, especially while ghost loading. So next week I'll upload a video of how I fixed this issue:

gif_repair_cam870_doublefeed_v1.gif

If I remeter correctly, CatGutViolin had the same problem, so if you haven't fixed your shotgun yet, this video might be relevant to your interests?

• Like 1

Yeh those dang shell latch arms... Spent many hours and times disassembling mine using trial and error to find the perfect angle and bend of those things. Sometimes the functionality, or it not functioning, is also dependant on the force you use to rack the action since the steel that the shell latch arms are made of has some flex under stress.

Definately one of the more annoying things with this shotgun. The real ones probably has higher grade less flexible steel material and the arms are also staked in place in the reciever. Think I have like 3 sets of spares laying around for when I can't fix it by bending anymore :P

Edited by NonEx
  • 1 month later...
I can now with 100% certainty confirm through first hand experience that you can convert an APS CAM870 MKII (gas in bolt) system to an APS CAM870 MKI (gas in shell) system by simply replacing the bolt and using Smart Shells.

Here is a list of what you would need to convert an APS CAM870 MKII (gas in bolt) system to an APS CAM870 MKI (gas in shell system).

I recommend buying directly from APS due to fair pricíng, fast shipping, good service and first party support and warranty, but you are of course free to buy from whatever source you like.

1. APS CAM870 MKI (gas in shell) replacement bolt.

2. APS CAM870 MKI (gas in shell) Smart Shells.

3. APS CAM870 fore end removal tool.

If you are using the APS CAM870 MKI (gas in shell) system and want to convert that to an APS CAM870 MKII (gas in bolt) system then you would need the following.

1. APS CAM870 MKII (gas in bolt) replacement bolt.

2. APS CAM870 MKII (gas in bolt) shells.

3. APS CAM870 fore end removal tool.

4. APS CAM870 CO2 fill adapter.

(This one also works with the dual 12g CO2 capsule cylinder that comes with the APS CAM870 MKI shotguns)

Unfortunately there is no way (no parts available) to convert the actual shells from a MKI (gas in shell) system to a MKII (gas in bolt) system, or vice versa.

For a complete list of APS CAM870 spare parts and accessories, check out APS' website.

The bolts for example are available in multiple colors.

Here is a complete video guide on how to disassemble the APS CAM870 shotgun.

(For whatever reason I haven't actually made a reassembly video but hopefully you can figure it out :P )

• 5 weeks later...

Does anybody test the following with the MK2 CAM870?

- Chrono test? Sadly we have field limit during CQB gunfight, that is means 1J or 1.5J muzzle energy.

- Did somebody test the MK2 with green gas? How it is working or perform with simple green gas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jams you can resolve, like a GBBR you need to work away at it until it's butter smooth.

Only annoyance with the APS is the reloading shell aspect :P 

You can also mod the dominator 870s to run the APS shells as well, so there are many options.

I haven't seen anyone in the past year run the 870 at my local field. 

Edited by BioRage