Help - cant find a place to put my G17

xrayhead

Hi All

Got a problem mounting my Glock 17, I just cant seem to find a place that works. I managed to find a Blackhawk Serpa Holster and Quick Disconnect Kit that has pretty my every mounting option going. I came with the CQC SERPA Holster, 2 x MOLLE platform (one has a second Quick Disconnect plate on it) and also a small straight belt kit with yet another Quick Disconnect mounted to it. 

So first place I tried was on the chest of my plate carrier and I was super happy with that until I picked up my AEG, as soon as I shouldered the rifle the pistol got in the way! Even when I moved it all the way over to the left side of the plate carrier (having to move my radio and wiring at the same time) it still seemed to get in the way.

I've tried it on my belt but cant seem to get that to work as my plate carrier comes down quite far and fouls it up. I mounted it on the cumberbun of the WAS PC but thats a pain to get it out of the holster.

So need some idea's as at present I'm out of them, only thing I haven't tried is a drop leg holster (any ideas on mounting my Blackhawk kit to one?).

Any help would be much appreciated indeed.

You might need to hike up your pc.  The top of the plate bag should be within about 1 inch from where your collar bones meet.  That usually helps clear up your belt kits from your cummerbund along with removing any general purpose pouches from that side.

If all else fails, BHI does make a dropleg platform like Stuey says.  It's huge though, and I'm not really a fan of it from running it a while back.  They also make a drop belt attachment, but for the life of me I can't find a link to it.

Or go with something like a 6004 and do the UBL mod.  Perfect height IMO.

Not sure what you mean by 6004 and do the UBL mod?

You might need to hike up your pc.  The top of the plate bag should be within about 1 inch from where your collar bones meet.  That usually helps clear up your belt kits from your cummerbund along with removing any general purpose pouches from that side.

If all else fails, BHI does make a dropleg platform like Stuey says.  It's huge though, and I'm not really a fan of it from running it a while back.  They also make a drop belt attachment, but for the life of me I can't find a link to it.

TBO The PC is very big on me, its a RICAS and dose seem to swamp me a tad, I was thinking of upgrading to the WAS DCS

May sounds dumb, but is your plate carrier set correctly? (as in: not too low?) 

Maybe I should post some pictures of the PC on me?

If the RICAS is massive on you then the DCS is a good idea.  I've tried every set up you mentioned and am still trying to find a set up I like.  The drop leg serpa platform is a good suggestion, but one set up I've been getting to like is using a Blackhawk 'jacket slot duty belt loop' on my molle belt.  It's a bit of a pain to fit to molle but once it's on it hangs below the belt line at a nice height to draw from, doesn't foul the PC and doesn't need a leg strap.

I would definitely recommend 6004 with UBL mod, comfortable with just the right height.  Alternatively, I run this with my 6004 and I would recommend it as well.  http://www.copsplus.com/12642_safariland_6075ubl.html?gclid=CLni77G83L8CFQqGaQodjbMAkg

You can do basically the same thing with the Serpa drop platform as well.  Just remove the top thigh belt and raise the platform as high as it will go.

I would definitely recommend 6004 with UBL mod, comfortable with just the right height.  Alternatively, I run this with my 6004 and I would recommend it as well.  http://www.copsplus.com/12642_safariland_6075ubl.html?gclid=CLni77G83L8CFQqGaQodjbMAkg

You can do basically the same thing with the Serpa drop platform as well.  Just remove the top thigh belt and raise the platform as high as it will go.

Cheers thanks for the link  :-)

I run a DCS with an IMI Defense holster for my USP Compact and a Low ride belt loop attachment. I'm smallish  (1,78m) as well and that works great. Can't imagine that Blackhawk's system doesn't allow for a similar setup. 

Ok so a little more googleing and I come up with this - BlackHawk Duty Holster Mid Ride Platform 44H902BK

All I got to do now is find one in the UK  :(

ScreenShot2014-07-24at153555_zps45671b3a

Nowadays I have my holster on my belt with a slight drop panel like the video above shows. As I have a SafariLand I feel like this is the best option, but when I had a SERPA I often carried it on my abdomen, about the 2 o'clock position. This worked quite well for me, as my rifle never got in the way(of course, it will depend on how you sling your weapon), nor did the handgun get in the way when I would be in the prone position. It worked for me but I prefer a SafariLand on my hip instead.

Ok - so I Skirmished today with my G17 for the first time and I used the "BlackHawk CQC SERPA". This was dude to the new Duty Loop I've ordered not dropping on the door mat yet!

First impressions were, I hated it but I must admit by lunch time I had completely forgotten I was wearing it. It did get jammed on my plate carrier when I went to draw but my particular PC is very big and drops down very low. The other issue I had was my UBACS hanging down and jamming in the holster when I went to put the gun back in there. I think once I do get the Duty Loop It will sit a lot lower, wont feel so hard to draw because I have to bend my elbow so much and will also help with the clothing jamming into the holster.

But overall I was surprised at how I got used to the weight of the handgun sitting on my belt (I use a BlackHawk Rigger Belt copy/clone).

The UBL is nice, but my favorite configuration is DFA+single strap shroud+MLS.  

1144.JPGbeltkit1.JPGIMG_20121208_142114.jpg

The DFA (obviously) resticts your movements less, and with the MLS I can switch guns or move the holster to a vest quickly.  You could probably run a DFA with no shroud, but I like the stability.  

The UBL is nice, but my favorite configuration is DFA+single strap shroud+MLS.  

1144.JPGbeltkit1.JPGIMG_20121208_142114.jpg

The DFA (obviously) resticts your movements less, and with the MLS I can switch guns or move the holster to a vest quickly.  You could probably run a DFA with no shroud, but I like the stability.  

Is that top rig your's?

Ok - so I Skirmished today with my G17 for the first time and I used the "BlackHawk CQC SERPA". This was dude to the new Duty Loop I've ordered not dropping on the door mat yet!

First impressions were, I hated it but I must admit by lunch time I had completely forgotten I was wearing it. It did get jammed on my plate carrier when I went to draw but my particular PC is very big and drops down very low. The other issue I had was my UBACS hanging down and jamming in the holster when I went to put the gun back in there. I think once I do get the Duty Loop It will sit a lot lower, wont feel so hard to draw because I have to bend my elbow so much and will also help with the clothing jamming into the holster.

But overall I was surprised at how I got used to the weight of the handgun sitting on my belt (I use a BlackHawk Rigger Belt copy/clone).

Do you tuck your UBACS into your trousers or do you wear it like a casual t-shirt?

Those are my photos; right now all I have is the top rig and an XDM compact.  

Is that top rig your's?

Thanks in advance for any help guy's 

Please take this constructively:  http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe  

I'm used to seeing them used incorrectly in acronyms like AEGs or BBs, but yours really stand out.  I often have trouble with its and it's.  

Do you tuck your UBACS into your trousers or do you wear it like a casual t-shirt?

No don't be silly - I can just about tuck my *albatross* into my trouser's let alone my UBACS as well :-)

I know, not helping the issue and should tuck it in..

Those are my photos; right now all I have is the top rig and an XDM compact.  

Please take this constructively:  http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe

I'm used to seeing them used incorrectly in acronyms like AEGs or BBs, but yours really stand out.  I often have trouble with its and it's.  

Yeh real bug bear for me - believe it or not I work in IT and sit in email etc all day long. I have to use google a lot and put a sentence into it just so I can spell check. I can see code (work with Nortel and Cisco kit), and can remember some of the strangest  stuff but my spelling and grammar suck *albartroth*! Drives the wife crazy but I have a real hard time with it..

Archived