You're right there, no part support at all unfortunately. Oh well! A metal slide wont be the end of the world, especially that detonator one, its friggen light! 

But you're right someone needs to be out there pushing it, glad I can push it to help others with the info! 

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tokyo Marui M&P 9   Well its arrived. I've never done a review before so please bear with me and be gentle, I've tried to cover as much as I can but I'm sure I've missed something! This is just

Finally got my hands on my M&P9!   Box. Pretty.     Apparently it was FPS tested, not that I really care that much.     Not sure when TM started doing this, but keeps my precious safe.

Just finished this. Its running like train and looks fantastic. Detonator slide cerakoted McMillian Grey, Nebula Frame in Magpul OD, controls in Graphite Black.   

Posted Images

It would be a great IDPA style alternative if we had an airsoft equivalent in the UK. As a proper IPSC style race gun though the trigger and a lack of spare parts let it down.

'FireKnife'

Well you never know at this stage what upgrades may come out, replacement trigger packages may happen if they think there is a market for them (either for skirmish or IDPA performence upgrades), but for the more casual practical pistol matches that some sites are doing these days it could be a contender (time and experience will tell) by the sounds of it.

You're right there, no part support at all unfortunately. Oh well! A metal slide wont be the end of the world, especially that detonator one, its friggen light! 

Some Marui pistols do seem to have replacement parts available, Fire Support seem to regularly carry various bits for a number of Marui models but I guess its a case of what they can get their hands on when they are available through third parties.

On slides and parts I did wonder a while back if it would be possible from what is available locally or through Asian stores to get all the parts to build a separate working slide without sacraficing a donor pistol in the process.

Yeah Impulse are good I used them a few times when they were Pulse Japan. They can get most things but I was more talking of UK after market support. It's a shame not to support UK businesses especially when you've got to cough up shipping from Japan on such a small part! But you're right, they are available if needed, FireSupport has a few things but i'd rather not buy from there if I had another option! 

As for triggers hopefully a SAI style trigger is released for the TM M&P that'd be a nice addition but you still wont be able to match the Hi-Capa for getting a short trigger pull! 

Well you never know at this stage what upgrades may come out, replacement trigger packages may happen if they think there is a market for them (either for skirmish or IDPA performence upgrades), but for the more casual practical pistol matches that some sites are doing these days it could be a contender (time and experience will tell) by the sounds of it.

True but it seems unlikely given that the M&P isn't really of the same contending level as say the Glock, 1911 or Hi-Capa platforms. It would be nice to see other options and I would welcome them but for a casual game it would seem about right, the trigger on mine is even enough and breaks in the right place for an airsoft striker.

Though this does remind me now that I have moved to start looking at my ideas I had brewing that I couldn't do due to being in a place where there were few airsofters and many that didn't have a clue.

'FireKnife'

For once Marui were last to the party so this time the mags are unique in their design.

Also tried mine on Ultra last night, feels the temperature is about right so I am not worried about it going wrong. Still gives a very nice kick and can't wait to field it either this Sunday or Tuesday.

'FireKnife'

Took mine out for a game last night too. Ran it on propane all night and went through at least 15 mags which was nice. Was run hard and fast when I was actually using it and it didn't seem to have any problems. I'll be giving it a clean up tonight after work but all seems good! The slide is getting a bit scratched from going in and out of the kydex holster but what can you do? Just adds to the character! 

I will be running it on propane from now on, like I said before, if the slide blows it blows and I just get the 5" Pro ATEi slide :D 

Marui were last to the market but as someone who own WE, VFC and TM M&Ps, I'd say they are the most overall successful.

I think that last sentiment works for just about all their guns, the only ones I have seen people consistently say are better than the Marui version is the KWA/KSC HK45.

'FireKnife'

Well that does depend if you really need that performance from your pistol too :).

I go with Marui as they work for a pistol primary both indoors and out. Where it not the case and that could be said of KWA I would be running with them.

However for just holster filling maybe the cheaper WE is better or the looks of the VFC appeal more?

Perhaps Delta we just demand more from our pistols and are welcome to pay that extra? :P

'FireKnife'

Haha that is probably the case! Performance is always key looking pretty is just an extra! I'm sure a lot of people are like that really though!

To be honest I used to be of the thinking that a metal slide and uber tricked out internals/externals was always the way to go, even though they were a little temperamental and needed their maintenance. But recently I've put the plastic slides back on most of my pistols with the stock internals and they just plod away with your standard basic maintenance and perform more reliably as a result. So long as it slings a bb a good distance consistently and reliably I don't really care anymore!

I managed to hold and dry-fire both the XDM and the M&P9 yesterday at Landwarrior, using green gas. The M&P9, looked and felt really small, toyish and light in my hand. I'm not sure I liked the external safety lever, but I could use it as a thumb rest (a'la my G17 Custom) after a bit of getting used to it.

The kick was nice, but not really much better than my G17, which I took along to compare. I didn't like the look or use of the crescent-moon shaped trigger at all. It barely fit my naked trigger finger and I'm guessing would be too tight a curve for the (albeit thin Mechanix) gloves (size Large) I usually wear. The dot sights were nice and usable. One thing I did really like though was the shape of the grip, which was very comfortable in my hand and fit perfectly. I felt the M&P9 looked like very shiny black plastic too, so overall I wasn't that impressed by it and certainly have no inclination to buy one. I think for a pistol that small, I'd rather opt for a PX4.

The XDM by comparison, has a noticeably longer magazine/grip when put side by side with the M&P9, but same slide length and looked to be a much better size in my hands. I much preferred the look and feel of the XDM (rough dark grey polymer [plastic I know] vs shiny black plastic). It felt a bit heavier too and the 1911 style grip safety didn't bother me. The trigger was a better shape, pleasant to use and the kick was nice, but again not so much more powerful than my G17 or P226 E2. I may be imagining it, but I think I felt that the XDM had slightly more kick than the M&P9? The grip however was quite rough in my naked palm and took a bit of getting used to compared to the silky smooth awesome shape of the M&P9. The dot sights were nice and overall, I felt the XDM was much more my style of pistol, over the M&P9.

To summarise, I felt that neither pistol really introduced anything remarkably new or desirable over my G17 and P226 E2. They both felt about the same recoil-wise with my existing pistols and any purchase of another pistol would just be me wasting money on spare mags and a holster, merely because I liked the look of it, rather than gaining any usable increase in performance, reliability or quality. In saying that, my inner airsofter would still quite like an XDM, although I'd probably end up selling it due to lack of use like my Nightwarrior and Deagle, lol.

I would have liked to have compared both pistols to the new TM HK45, since I already own 2x TM MK23 SOCOMs.

Just my own thoughts.

Edited by Ryaw

I had my M&P9 completely apart yesterday to give it a check over after about 50-60 mags of propane. I can't find any wear that wouldn't be expected from just general use of the pistol. All the trigger mech parts look in very good shape, if any wear at all and the BBU is very good, no cracks on the slide or any "light coloured" stress marks from the plastic being malformed.

It was absolutely gopping though, I havent properly cleaned it since I've owned it and it's not been used in that dirty an environment. After cleaning it all properly and re-lubing in the right places it racks a lot smoother. 

I also changed out the hop rubber for a Nineball purple hop rubber and wanted to install the PDI Raven 6.01 barrel from my Hicapa 4.3 in there but its about 5mm too long and fouls with the inside of the outerbarrel unfortunately! I will find something else to go in there!

No testing done on how the Nineball rubber has affected things as of yet as I did it at around 11pm last night and didn't want to wake the missus up!

I had a WE M&P until the TM was announced it was a nice pistol but i found it was almost impossible to get it to shoot a bull, i do a bit of CQB and i need a pistol to hit as straight as i can and the hop on the WE did not hold the shot always and after a few mags it would drift a bit.

I have the TM M&P and sold the WE a while ago so all my pistols are TM (or KSC for the glocks), the hop on the TM is a rugged design and hopefully will suffer with none of the issues i had with the WE, although i love TM pistols i do love the finish on the TM M&P9 although i do agree with some of the reviews on it that it feels very light even with a mag in it but the balance feels ok so maybe TM just left it light?

Not had a chance to skirmish it yet but need to get more mags first as i only have the one at the moment.

curlyboy

Just to add to my post above, I heard a pistol shooting very loudly last night indoors and it turned out to be a TM HK45 on Nuprol 3.0 gas......Jesus it was loud and snappy as hell! Anyway, I finally got to compare the M&P9 to the HK45 and I must say the HK45 is much better as far as I'm concerned. The kick, feel, look etc were all far better to me and that shaped grip was perfect in my hand, which I didn't think it would be. Plus it shot very well indeed. I'd definitely recommend them and consider buying one if I needed a new pistol. Just in case others were pondering which to buy.

I challenge any owner of a TM HK45 to run it on Nuprol 3.0 and have it better a M&P9 on Nuprol 3.0, it'll probably match it but I fail to see it bettering it... I've fired both on Green and the snap was the near enough the same. I have fired my M&P on Nuprol 3.0 and it's incredible but I don't think I want to push it power wise. Maybe in the winter but for now I'm happy with Propane! 

Eh, each to their own :P.

I still find the kick coming out of my TM XDM on Ultra to be pretty hard to beat by any other gun (excluding of course using highly unsafe options or fully custom built guns with steel components that cost 5 times as much).

Also had a shot of the M&P today on Ultra. The kick is there but it still feels to me more like a Glock on Green than the XDM or PX4. Though I must admit that may be to do with things like hand position and bore height over grip which can make a big difference. When I have given both the XDM and the M&P a shoot on Tuesday at a game I will see how well they do.

'FireKnife'

So took this to a game last night and it probably saw all of 8-10 magazines all on Ultra.

It is a beast of a gun and I didn't have a single fault bar my own issue with double loading it after chronoing it. Chronoed at a healthy 270 on Ultra in a somewhat cold room.

Can't fault it at all bar the rather small front sight for such a modern pistol (compared to the big *albatross* ones on the XDm).

I will do a proper comparison review between the XDM and M&P9 at some point, a kind of polymer, striker, non-Glock debate :P.

'FireKnife'

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So took this to a game last night and it probably saw all of 8-10 magazines all on Ultra.

It is a beast of a gun and I didn't have a single fault bar my own issue with double loading it after chronoing it. Chronoed at a healthy 270 on Ultra in a somewhat cold room.

Can't fault it at all bar the rather small front sight for such a modern pistol (compared to the big *albatross* ones on the XDm).

I will do a proper comparison review between the XDM and M&P9 at some point, a kind of polymer, striker, non-Glock debate :P.

'FireKnife'

Heh, but it didn't move up in ranking on your signature!

I gave mine a run out on the range at my local site and as normal for a TM the accuracy was excellent with most rounds hitting where they were put at 50ft distance the gun had no cool down issues even with rapid fire on a fairly cool day but this was to be expected the only little niggle is the gun is so light it feels a little flimsy it is not but just it does not seem as solid as my P226 for example.

Curlyboy

• 2 weeks later...