My Nova silver slide has arrived! No M&P to put it on yet though.. interestingly the Nova Standard 4.25" slide seems heavier than the Detonator ATEi 5" slide.. Probably due to the huge cut outs of the ATEi meaning less material as a hole.

Unfortunately I'm going on holiday this evening, so I wont have time to install.. I'll be installing it on the ATEi M&P for now so will be able to do a weight comparison etc. 

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tokyo Marui M&P 9   Well its arrived. I've never done a review before so please bear with me and be gentle, I've tried to cover as much as I can but I'm sure I've missed something! This is just

Finally got my hands on my M&P9!   Box. Pretty.     Apparently it was FPS tested, not that I really care that much.     Not sure when TM started doing this, but keeps my precious safe.

Just finished this. Its running like train and looks fantastic. Detonator slide cerakoted McMillian Grey, Nebula Frame in Magpul OD, controls in Graphite Black.   

Posted Images

Im also having a few issues with the UAC hammer parts I have installed.. At least I think it's the UAC hammer parts.. it could well be the Detonator slide.. I need to spend an evening trouble shooting.. From what I can work out the UAC hammer parts are slightly too large causing them to hit the BBU and cause the slide not to return 100% to battery. However it might be that the BBU itself sits too low in the slide. But I had it working without the hammer parts I think. So i'll remove them, replace with the stock parts and work it out as I go! 

First I'm going to transplant the upper internals into the Nova slide to see if its the slide that is causing the issue. Can't see it being that though, detonator are usually very good! 

Edited by DeltaZero
  • Like 1

First impression...

How is Nova vs Detonator quality?

Nova comes with sights which is a bonus, but is it almost worth 2x the price tag to get the Detonator?

Debating now.

Edit:

Wonder if Nova is a drop in fit? Was the detonator? :o

Can't; find details if the detonator and nova are made from 7075 alum, or 60xx

Edited by BioRage

First impression...

How is Nova vs Detonator quality?

Nova comes with sights which is a bonus, but is it almost worth 2x the price tag to get the Detonator?

Debating now.

Edit:

Wonder if Nova is a drop in fit? Was the detonator? :o

Can't; find details if the detonator and nova are made from 7075 alum, or 60xx

Personally I think from just the feel of the slides I'm edging towards favouring the Detonator. But realistically I've had the Nova out of the box for maybe 5 minutes last night so I can't make a very fair judgement yet. The silver was nice though.. It's Matt so different to the usual silver slides, almost white.

As for drop in fit I've obviously not tried the Nova yet.. And I'm unsure of the Detonator.. I'm having issues with cycling at the moment so I'm unsure if it's the slide or the UAC hammer parts. My thinking is it's the hammer parts and not the slide. I'm fairly certain it was cycling fine without the upgrade parts installed. Won't know for certain till I get back from holiday on Wednesday though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Deltazero

Ive installed the 10-8, oem style, and atei Detonator slides in my m&p9s, as well as the UAC trigger bar without a single hangup. Im thinking it is your UAC hammer and other aftermarket internals causing the issue. Please let us know if they were the culprit as i was thinking about buying it also.

Although i had one hiccup on ONE of my detonator slides as the steel piece by the slide lock area was warped so i had to file a little to fit. Also the fake extractor is made to move and function so maybe that could be something to look at also as i noticed if i fully tighten the allen screw it doesnt work so i back it off a half to a full turn.

I think it's most likely to be the hammer too. I'll swap that out when im home.

The fake extractor has full movement I was aware of that on installation. Like I said pretty sure it'll be the hammer.

I will update on Wednesday when I've had it apart :) thanks so far!

Are the Detonator 10-8 sights compatible with the Marui OEM slide? I'm okay with keeping the slide plastic (till it breaks) as it will at least stay black after repeated draws from my kydex holster. I fear the finish on the Detonator and Nova slides will quickly wear away from holster use. I mostly just want to address the sights. The horrible trigger reset and removing the thumb safety are both things I can fix on my end.

Are the Detonator 10-8 sights compatible with the Marui OEM slide? I'm okay with keeping the slide plastic (till it breaks) as it will at least stay black after repeated draws from my kydex holster. I fear the finish on the Detonator and Nova slides will quickly wear away from holster use. I mostly just want to address the sights. The horrible trigger reset and removing the thumb safety are both things I can fix on my end.

If the UAC sights fit on my plastic OEM slide, then the 10-8 will as well. Boomarms has these 10-8 tritium sights listed on the detonator slide picture, but they only sell the 10-8 vtac ones? :S

http://boomarms.com/shop/item.cfm?id=DEN-SL-MP10-8

Edited by BioRage
  • Like 1

I've got the trigger bar in mine.. Made a bit of difference but not much.. I'll be keeping that in but getting rid of the Hammer parts maybe try USCMs trigger mod as well see how they compare.

As for the finish of the slides I've got no issues bringing my detonator out of the Kydex holster so far.. There's a slight sheen where it's running but it's still black for now. The barrel is wearing mind you but nothing im overly worried about!

Picking up a TM HK45 tonight to compare, since no one in Canada has them in store, pretty much I have to buy it and then feel it - if I dislike I re-sell it. /sadface.

My TM M&P9 is somewhere in Canada... .

Think I might just keep the M&P stock again this time.. Though the trigger mod itself seems quite drastic in terms of changes, seen it some videos aswell, though I really haven't had any problems in CQB running it stock :o.

I wanted to know Delta, how are the sights that come with the Nova, because 10-8 sights are like $75? A few more extra 10's and you can get a Nova slide with sights.

Thanks!

Picking up a TM HK45 tonight to compare, since no one in Canada has them in store, pretty much I have to buy it and then feel it - if I dislike I re-sell it. /sadface.

My TM M&P9 is somewhere in Canada... .

Think I might just keep the M&P stock again this time.. Though the trigger mod itself seems quite drastic in terms of changes, seen it some videos aswell, though I really haven't had any problems in CQB running it stock :o.

I wanted to know Delta, how are the sights that come with the Nova, because 10-8 sights are like $75? A few more extra 10's and you can get a Nova slide with sights.

Thanks!

I'll be honest pal I had the slide out of the packaging for 5 mins before I had to leave.. Only looked at the slide and barrel, left the sights in the bag.. Once I've fitted and tested ill update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just did three modifications to my Marui M&P.

First mod: Removed external ambi-safeties.

• At first I was just going to pull the two sides of the safety out. But that didn't seem to work. Upon further exam it appears that the center axle was needed. I also wanted to make sure I didn't accidentally engage the safety. So I ended up just cutting the external levers off with a dremel cutting wheel. Works great. Not hideous but not perfectly clean either. I'll post pics soon.

Second mod: Shortened trigger pull.

• Basically followed the same directions as what was shown on the Japanese blog. Removed 1mm from the rear section of the trigger bar. Went from a 5mm gap to a 6.01mm gap.

- Before the trigger mod:

Initial trigger pull ... With all the slack taken up, initial break happens 5mm from the rear. Between 2lbs 6oz to 2 lbs 7oz initial trigger pull weight (tested using a Lyman digital trigger gauge).

Trigger reset ... Resetting the trigger (after pulling the trigger, letting the trigger relax until reset) 9.65mm-10mm from the rear. It was horribly long.

After trigger mod:

Initial trigger pull ... With all the slack taken up, initial break happens 1.73mm from the rear. Between 2lbs 14.8oz to 2 lbs 15.2oz initial trigger pull weight. Odd that it's a hair heavier than prior to the mod, but it *feels* about the same as before, just shorter and better.

Trigger reset ... Resetting the trigger occurs 6mm from the rear.

Third mod: blackened rear sights

I absolutely despise three dot sights. I hate them on my real guns because it creates a very busy sight picture (IMO). Blackening the rears was simple: sharpie the dots first then use a matte black paint pen to do a final black cover layer. Doing the Sharpie first helped as sometimes the matte black paint isn't opaque enough to cover the white. But the sharpie alone isn't enough as it tends to have a shiny and very dark purple result.

All in all I'm much happier with the M&P now that I've performed these modifications. I'll also stipple the frame soon and I still need to buy Detonator 10-8 replica sights. I'm tempted to leave the slide as is since I've heard mixed feelings about fitment of the Detonator slides.

The first mod you should of done as soon as you got the pistol!

WIll need to do this trigger mod once I picked up my M&P this week.

HK45 feels very nice, comfortable to hold, but the pistol just feels to large for my taste.

I had a chance to compare the RS M&P sights to the Marui. While dimensionally they're off, the good thing is that the dove tail on the RS sights are larger (dove tail is taller and wider front to back) which means you can file the dove tail down to fit. Here's where it's not so great: the dove tail slot on the Marui slide is actually NOT a dove tail. In fact it's a straight vertical cut through the slide. Since the Marui sight is held in place via the clip, an actual dove tail wasn't necessary. Which means on a plastic slide you can remove excess material from a RS sight and glue it in place on the plastic slide (far from ideal and will probably get lost eventually). On a metal slide like the Nova or Detonator you could cut the height of the RS sight's dove tail down (since it's too tall) and then cut a proper dovetail into the replica metal slide.

IMHO, given that there are decent aftermarket airsoft options for the Marui M&P, I'd elect to just go with one of those rather than trying to modify a RS sight set.