Hey,

What was the outcome of the slide not moving forward all the way?

I have two stock ones, and they both basically started doing it at the same time.

Thanks

Wish I could tell you. I just took it apart reinstalled it, seems to be fine (havent gamed it though, just racking it).

Nineball piston head came, defo needs a bigger o-ring. Need to find the right size -.-

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tokyo Marui M&P 9   Well its arrived. I've never done a review before so please bear with me and be gentle, I've tried to cover as much as I can but I'm sure I've missed something! This is just

Finally got my hands on my M&P9!   Box. Pretty.     Apparently it was FPS tested, not that I really care that much.     Not sure when TM started doing this, but keeps my precious safe.

Just finished this. Its running like train and looks fantastic. Detonator slide cerakoted McMillian Grey, Nebula Frame in Magpul OD, controls in Graphite Black.   

Posted Images

It's just incredibly soft rubber. Zero heat resistance. So when you stipple it, it becomes very stringy/fuzzy and doesn't take a texture well. This is regardless of the stipple tool's temperature (I have a power modulator). The Marui's frame plastic itself isn't great for stippling either but I've seen worse. To sculpts nicely but is meh for stippling.

Ah I thought that might be the case. The plastic isnt great but it's workable. I havent had a chance to sculpt it yet. Can you post pictures of your finished sculpted frame? I'm looking for inspiration on mine. I think I'll do the trigger guard corner groove thing and maybe take the mag release hump back a little to make it more defined but not 100%. I've only stippled the middle section at the moment so am primed to make some modifications before I carry on and stipple the rest! 

One of my real (actually my very first) S&W M&P 9's on the left. Machined by ATEi Guns and stippled by Boresight Solutions years ago. On the right, all three are stock Marui M&P's.

Top to bottom: Full stipple with modified RS back strap. Full stipple including the Marui back strap. Stippled everything except the original back strap. 

Marui-MP-01.jpg

Polished undercuts:

Marui-MP-05.jpg

Polished undercuts are exponentially more comfortable than just radiusing the base of the trigger guard. Being able to get a higher tang grip is great, but the transition needs to smoothed/blended out for comfort:

Marui-MP-03.jpg

Marui-MP-04.jpg

Last pic. The Marui back strap (on the bottom) doesn't like the waffle pattern type stipple tip. It's ok (barely) with a simple individual dot tip.

Marui-MP-02.jpg

Just need new slides and sights.

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Thought I would mention I now have a couple Detonator slides as well as a Nova slide. When comparing them to my RS M&P guns, the Detonator slides look the closest in finish. Actually the original Marui slide is even closer in finish, but obviously ... plastic. The Nova finish is way too matte and easily wears, but the caveat is obviously that the Nova includes 10-8 sights and is $100 cheaper. Pics this week hopefully.

Edited by uscmCorps
  • Like 1

Detonator vs Nova M&P Slides

• Finish

The Detonator slides have a near perfect finish for an aluminum slide without a steel melonite treatment. It's a darker black than the Nova which is more a dark grey. The Detonator slide is also more shiny like the real thing whereas the Nova is more a matte finish. You can make the Nova a little more shiny by applying a small amount of silicone oil to the exterior of the Nova slide and just rubbing it in. It actually makes it look surprisingly more authentic. The finish on both brands of slides seem pretty robust and I haven't seen any significant wear on either slides so far. The Detonator outer barrel is a nice dark black, whereas the Nova outer barrel is dark but turns a dark blue when wet with silicone. Nothing terrible, but it's notable. I am seeing a little slide to outer barrel wear on the Detonator outer barrels. Less so on the Nova. Time will tell.

• Shape

Both slides are near identical in shape. Edges are slightly off in some areas but nothing most people will notice. For the most part the shape of the slides are good to go. The serrations on the 10-8 slides from both companies are very similar. As such, they can't be as deep as the real thing due to limited wall thickness. But they look authentic which is what counts. The 10-8 marking on the Nova is a little deeper, but it's okay with me that the Detonator 10-8 marking is shallower since I'm not a huge fan of having the 10-8 slide marking on there anyway (my real ones don't have them). The S&W markings on the slide are a little more accurate on the Detonator but both are sufficiently deep and you wouldn't notice Nova marking inaccuracies unless you had a real slide on hand to compare them to.

• Fitment

Detonator: the fitment is super tight. Which is good and bad. Good in that when installed there's zero wobble between slide and frame. Bad in that it takes a good deal of break in (repeated racking) to get the slide to operate correctly. On the Detonator 9L, once broken in, I continued to use the OEM recoil spring and though slightly sluggish, operates fine. On the Detonator 10-8 and regular Detonator full size 9mm slide I had to use the Saph 150% recoil springs to get it to consistently return to battery.

Nova: this was a drop in fit. No break in required. It stayed nice and snappy even with the OEM recoil spring. Since it was a drop in fit, the tolerances were slightly looser which means there is a little (but acceptable) slide to frame wobble.

• Fake Extractor

The Nova extractor free floats between the slide and BBU. Therefore it does rattle ever so slightly. The Detonator extractor is extremely cool. Held in place by a long grub screw, its under spring tension and can move when pressed. The attention to detail in this regard is fantastic.

• Sights

The fact that the Nova slides include sights is definitely in its favor. The Detonator sights are available separately. The finish of the Detonator sights are more realistic. The Nova sights are more matte and less accurate aesthetically. The Detonator rear sight is more accurately shaped, and more importantly, has the proper U notch. While the Nova rear sight's overall shape is less accurate what bothers me more about it is the fact that the Nova's U notch extends way too far down. It's so long in fact, when you get a proper sight picture, you can see the front end of the slide through the U notch (which is just plain wrong). The Detonator rear sight's U notch is *slightly* narrower than the real thing but for the most part dead on accurate. Problem with the Detonator rear sight is its threads appear to be stripped even when using the included Detonator screws (the OEM screws are too long for the Detonator rear sight). The Nova uses the OEM screws and gives you a nice tight install.

Front sights: The Nova slide comes with a fiber optic front sight. Simple to install and looks good. You use the OEM front sight clip with the Nova front sight and it can be a little loose so I'd recommend using a dab of super glue with it. The Detonator front sight (available as part of the Detonator 10-8 sight set) has a tritium insert. Which would be great ... except it's really faded and clearly near its expiration date. Also, it comes with its own front sight clip which feels nice and tight when installed except I've had them pop free a couple times so I'd recommend a dab of super glue to hold them in place.

• Cost

Detonator slides cost $200-245 and do not include the 10-8 sights which are an additional $50. Nova slides cost about $115 and include 10-8 sights (front is Fiber optic instead of tritium).

SUMMARY:

Detonator Pros

- Great finish

- spring extractor

- available in many variants, including the 9L which is my favorite

Detonator Cons

- tight fitment which requires break in.

- may require Saph/SA 150% recoil spring to return to battery

- nice looking rear sight but threads underneath appear to strip

- front tritium sight is faded and may need glue to stay on the slide

- cost is high $200-245 plus extra for aftermarket sights

Nova Pros

- drop in fit. No break in required.

- available in some variants

- includes 10-8 sights

- inexpensive $105-115

Nova Cons

- no break in needed but that means it's a little looser than the Detonator slide kit (though not bad)

- not available in 9L (5") variant

- matte finish (though rubbing in a little silicone oil into the surface helps dramatically)

- extractor is free floating sandwiched between slide and BBU. Can rattle slightly (but not terrible)

- 10-8 rear sight has its U notch cut too low.

- front fiber optic sight may require glue to hold it in place

Between the Nova and Detonator it's hard to say which I'd recommend more. The Detonator is without a doubt more accurate looking and has cool features like the spring extractor, but the fitment is so tight that when installed, even after break in the cycling can still feel a little sluggish (but it is functional). Plus it's expensive and doesn't include sights. The Nova is what I would consider the perfect upgrade for people wanting a metal slide and desire something they don't have to worry about beating up since it's inexpensive and a drop in fit. It's what I would consider a use and abuse slide. Perfect for games/events in which you won't feel bad if it gets messed up and dirty. If you absolutely have to have a 9L, and/or something that looks as accurate as possible get the Detonator. Otherwise, get the Nova slide kits.

Pictures soon.

Edited by uscmCorps

Yep, I agree with uscmCorps as you need a 150% spring for the Detonator slide. I too put in a SAPH spring in and it seems to be doing fine, I still need to game it and see how it goes. Otherwise, all is good...just gotta fix my leaking mags :c

What do people do to improve the sluggishness of metal slide cycling? Recoil springs improve returning the slide forward, but what about the initial blow back? Saph also sells trigger springs and hammer spring sets. And other companies sell high flow valves for mags. Thoughts?

What do people do to improve the sluggishness of metal slide cycling? Recoil springs improve returning the slide forward, but what about the initial blow back? Saph also sells trigger springs and hammer spring sets. And other companies sell high flow valves for mags. Thoughts?

I installed the SAPH trigger springs and the fast response trigger spring as well. I kept the fast response trigger spring in, but took out the 150% hammer spring set. Didnt cycle properly on my end, could only shoot once and would have to re-rack.

Otherwise to get it smooth, your best bet is to polish the rails in the frame, that should improve it :)

• Like 1

Pictures as promised. "Artistic" iPhone Pics first ...

Detonator/Marui M&P 9L:

Marui-SlideDetonator9L-sm-wm.jpg

Detonator/Marui M&P 10-8:

Marui-SlideDetonator10-8-sm-wm.jpg

Nova/Marui M&P 10-8:

Marui-SlideNova10_8-sm-wm.jpg

And now some comparison pics. Detonator rear sight is more authentic in shape, finish and markings:

Marui_10-8-sights4.jpg

In these pics you can see just how off the Nova U notch is compared to the real thing, and how well done it is on the Detonator version. A real shame the Detonator rear sights seem to all have stripped screw holes.

Marui_10-8-sights1.jpg

Marui_10-8-sights2.jpg

Marui_10-8-sights3.jpg

Detonator M&P 9L on top and Detonator 10-8 slide on the bottom:

MaruiDetonatorMnPSlides.jpg

Detonator 10-8 slide version stacked on top of one of my real ATEi M&Ps:

MaruiVSRealMnP1.jpg

Detonator 10-8 (left), real full size ATEi M&P on the right:

MaruiVSRealMnP2.jpg

Detonator M&P 9L (left), real ATEi M&P 9L on the right:

MaruiVSRealMnP3.jpg

Real ATEi M&P 9L on top, Detonator M&P9L beneath: