Also, thanks for the confusing reviews. Given the subjective nature of recoil perception, I don't know if this is truly safe for propane use where I am. Sucks too since a local store just stocked them but I'll have to spend my money on something else for now until a metal slide cheaper than that Detonator comes out. :(

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tokyo Marui M&P 9   Well its arrived. I've never done a review before so please bear with me and be gentle, I've tried to cover as much as I can but I'm sure I've missed something! This is just

Finally got my hands on my M&P9!   Box. Pretty.     Apparently it was FPS tested, not that I really care that much.     Not sure when TM started doing this, but keeps my precious safe.

Just finished this. Its running like train and looks fantastic. Detonator slide cerakoted McMillian Grey, Nebula Frame in Magpul OD, controls in Graphite Black.   

Posted Images

Huh, then perhaps mine isn't quite right as I would say it is about the same as a TM 1911 but returns to battery that bit faster,

That is using Ultra in both guns with mags being stored in the same cupboard, not in pouches.

Also look ma', no safety:

DSCF0476_zps4c550077.jpg

DSCF0477_zps4265132f.jpg

It is a bit stiff to cock but once cocked racking it is fine and dandy. However when I say stiff I wouldn't really have noticed unless it was pointed out, it isn't that bad.

So just a quick sum up:

Pros are the feel, looks, trigger (just envelopes the finger perfectly), fake brass in the port, trigger response, snappiness and general kick from firing.

Cons are the safety (relatively easy to remove), the left slide release doesn't really work, pinned magazines.

All in all a lovely little typical modern day striker with lost of lovely looks and parts. The safety clicks into place well but is in the way for me but is easy enough to get out. I can see this sticking with me but first I need to give it a full game and for that I might need more than just two magazines.

'FireKnife'

Had nothing like that and no inclination for it to do so and I have already put a good 50 shots through it with both mags, all on Ultra, some blank fire, others with ammo loaded.

Time will tell but so far it seems happy enough on Ultra with me.

'FireKnife'

Could have been that then.

I did test temperature variations at one point with a stodgy old TM 1911. Had a jump of 15fps purely due to the fact the mag was almost like body heat to the touch.

Still getting my hands used to it. I think even with the smaller backstrap the gun was designed for a larger hand than mine.

'FireKnife'

I just had a thought.

Given that the M&P9 has similar style and ease of grip as the Glock it may be that the M&P9 whould have the somewhat lackluster kick of the TM Glock.

However the larger cylinder gives it something more in line with the 1911 / Hi-Capa. Maybe that means for the style of gun the kick is a touch too hard for the likes of Green and Ultra?

Might just be me hypothesising but I will find out at some point when I do shoot it and it goes bang on Ultra, but I feel that might be a long, long way off.

'FireKnife'

Well I go for the Ultra all year round option (mostly as I buy in bulk sometimes as it is cheaper) and the only gun I wouldn't dare to use it in is my PPK/S.

Saying that I do run TM 1911s, a design that seems to be near indestructible some times, maybe I am used to that.

Either way gun has been added to my list and I now need to get that third mag and go shoot the thing. Glad that new indoor sites are opening and running nearby :).

'FireKnife'

Yeah for me it's propane as I can refill the colemans tanks very easily (company forklift runs on LPG). 

Pretty sure this will become my go to side arm now. Though saying that I ran my Hi-Capa at The Mall last night and it was an absolute trooper. It'll be a toss up between the two I think. 

That is becoming me issue as I like the M&P as the kind of 'best striker' but I still want to use my 1911s too so might have to do a 'this week you can come with us to a game' thing or just man up and take both :D.

Damn it, now I want to go home and testfire it some more.

'FireKnife'

• Like 1

I am thinking of simply going to a game with my generic pop flap mag pouches and running one gun for one game and the other for the next, just constantly changing out guns after each game.

As I always carry my pistol in my hand the holster isn't a problem. I will work this out somehow.

'FireKnife'

Yeah 3 30rnd rifle mags and 2 pistol mags generally does me for short indoor games. But if I use my breacher I go to 2 pistols, 5 pistol mags and 6 shells. 

Might get hold of a few more mags for the M&P9 and run it as a primary, always have a lot of fun with the hicapa that way. 

The gun fits just fine in my kydex holsters including my Raven Concealment holsters. As a matter of fact the retention and draw felt identical to my RS M&Ps.

The thumb safety changes my normal M&P grip feel and is annoying enough that it's got to go.

When uncocked, the slide feels unusually heavy to rack compared to racking the gun when pre-cocked. Kinda weird.

The trigger reset is loooooong. Even compared to my RS stock M&Ps.

All that said, this gun is incredibly snappy and quick to return to battery.

Slide finish, for plastic, is incredibly well done. Aside from wanting aftermarket sights I am of the opinion that as much as I'd like to replace the slide with a metal one, this one will definitely be a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" gun. I was very impressed. It's not perfect. But it's pretty damn nice.