Krytac CRB Initial Impressions

Greetings all,

Today the UPS man was kind enough to drop off my shiny new Krytac Trident CRB. I thought I would post some of my initial impressions. I will be running it at Blind Fury, a large event in my area next weekend, and will post a review afterwards.

First a few bits of information about how I acquired it: I purchased it (not a preorder) from Airsoft Atlanta for $325 USD. I ordered it late Saturday night, it shipped Monday, and it arrived today, Wednesday.

It arrived well protected/packaged, both in it's own box as well as Airsoft Atlanta's additional packing. The box is attractive and sturdy. The manual is excellent and very thorough, and includes a nice thorough trouble-shooting section, if you're like me and don't tech.

It includes:

-Rifle

-High-cap mag (has winding wheel on the bottom, as well as the small crank option like on the HK 416 high-cap)

-Front and rear sights (Cut carry-handle style rear, non-flip front, both come uninstalled)

-Cleaning rod

-Manual/Warranty Card/Stickers

My initial impressions upon picking it up were the same as the reviews I've watched and read--you immediately notice two things: First, it feels high-quality and sturdy, and it feels very smooth, sleek, and compact, owing largely to the excellent keymod style rail. The second thing you notice is the finish--it's uniformly fantastic, stock to barrel.

The only thing that detracts from the appearance of the weapon is the garish orange flash hider. (For those of us in the US) It's a really cool shape; unfortunately, it's molded from orange plastic and glued on (as well as using a small set-screw.) You have two quick and easy options if you don't like it. First, if you like the style (and it IS cool) you can easily remove the rail, tape off the barrel, and spray it black. Or, you can go the route I did, and remove the set screw, boil the flash hider off, and replace it. I plan on (at some point) adding a mock suppressor, so I removed it. If I wasn't doing that, I probably would have left it on and sprayed it.

Overall, the appearance is really great. The feel is also fantastic. Rock-solid with two exceptions: the stock has a little bit of play on the buffer tube, and the trigger guard, while attractive and leaving room for gloves, has a little play as well. Easy fixes.

The ergonomics are really nice. The A2 style motor grip is narrower than standard, and is pretty comfortable. And I normally despise A2 motor grips. I may even leave it. The rail is where it really shines though. It's slim, smooth, and very comfortable. Important to note at this time is that the rifle does NOT come with any keymod rail sections. I ordered two from Amazon the same day as the rifle and they arrived at the same time.

I only planned to mount a light, pressure pad, and vertical grip. After playing around with various attachments and positioning, I realized the feel and look of the rail is so nice I didn't want the vertical grip, so I ditched it. It's an SBR, so it's short, and I can always use a magwell grip method if I wish.

Moving rearward, the features you may have already read about:

-a hopup with a rotary adjustment dial that is AWESOME. It's numbered and clicks clearly and distinctly into each setting as you rotate it. I cannot speak for the performance yet, but the adjustment method is great.

-A locking bolt and functioning bolt catch

-An ambidextrous fire selector (safe decompresses the spring)

-Ambi sling mount on the buffer tube

Last we come to the butt stock. Folks, it's great. It's attractive, comfortable, has a lot of modularity in terms of sling attachment methods (slot for loop, both sides with QD sockets) adjusts well, and battery installation and removal is a breeze. I tried standard nunchucks as well as some long stick lipos I have for my AKs and both were very easy. You simply remove the rear butt plate (a great design, easy to remove, replace, and very secure) and decide where you want to place your style of battery. The rear of the butt plate is slightly rubberized and shoulders well.

I haven't used it yet and can't comment on it's performance. I did do some dry firing on a 7.4 lipo and 9.6 nunchuck, and was very impressed with the trigger response as well as the rate of fire. Everything sounds good in the gearbox with no whining or grinding.

I will give an update after Blind Fury. In the meantime, if there's any questions I can answer or specific picture requests, let me know. Here's how I have mine set up:

qzkxmw.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Having played a lengthy game with it, I can tell you that it does, thus far, live up to the hype. Time will tell in terms of durability and longevity, but the performance was very good. I was using .30s and once the hop was properly dialed in (a breeze thanks to the hop adjustment design) I was getting range and accuracy on par with plenty of the heavily customized guns with substantially longer barrels. People were uniformly impressed. It was light and easy to play with, and very comfortable. The only downside I noticed is that despite the fact I didn't bang it around too much, the finish was not quite as resilient as I would have hoped. There were minor wear spots here and there. Nothing too bad, but it happened more quickly than I expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have owned one now for about 2 months. I was extremely disappointed when I realized that you need to take out the gearbox out of the gun for the  "quick change spring" to work! Having said that the gun has a great finish and shoots great out of the box. The gears were nicely shimmed and produced a loud but low pitch roar. It comes with a corrected A.O.E. and  pre-installed sorbo pad. The integrated mosfet is a nice feature as it is built into the gun but, it does not include active breaking or any type of pwm. I have heard rumors that other gear sets might not be compatible due to a relief cut underneath spur gear to clear the bearing. The piston is a reinforced with sidewall support similar to a prometheus piston.

All in all this gun is a great out of the box Mine shot around 360 w/ .25's out of the box. It provides excellent value for money with nice externals along with great internals on par with some nicely tuned airsoft guns. I personally plan to run it in its stock form to see how long it will last. I am hoping that this will outlast some V2 G&P's that my team has owned for going on 5 years now. 

-sly

yeah, while it may be dissapointing to some that you have to remove the gearbox from the lower to change the spring, it was a given by design. the only ARs on the market that facilitate changing of the spring without removing the gearbox are ARES ARs which have the buffer tubs threaded into the receiver like a RS or GBB AR15. all others have that mount for the AEG style buffer tube that i knew they were going to use based on their desire to keep parts compatibility.

the mosfet lacks AB and programibiltiy to keep costs down and reliability up. while i still choose to use AB mosfets in most of my guns, it does shortan the life of the brushes and commutator of the motor. as for the PWM, that would require computer adjustments and a more expensive mosfet that may not have fit inside the gearbox. it would have made the difference between a $325 and a $450 gun. im glad they shipped it with something simple that wont require any extra tuning in the long term for the end user.

Edited by Horsem4n