How much tactical/how much tacticool?

Beeingmyself

Hello fellow ch/airsofters ;7)

I have been looking around here on Arnies forum for a while now.

I see really cool guns in all aspects and people dressed up truly mindblowing in gear and such.

But I wonder how much is for use and how much is for looks?

I know the milsimmers and the impressionalists does it much-a-lot

and I respect their results I really do.

But one thing is a milsim another is an ordinary field day at the local airsoft event.

For my own part I don't carry anything I don't use except for my dummy AN/PEQ box on my gun.

Its only purpose is to look tacticool because I have a MK18 inspired gun.

If you shold round up how much is for beeing tacticool and how is for actual tactical use

What would your result be?

I'd say about 50/50 for me I love the dress up :D  aspect!  It does help that alot of tacticool stuff these days is all about being high speed low drag so it fits both worlds of practical and cool or practicool (Did i just invent that ? :D )

I personally go for the 'don't need it, son't take it' option.

This means my loadout only carries what is useful to me and no filler. Often it is mags, little first aid kit and a little food if it is a long game. Nothing else is on the loadout as it isn't needed, that is how I look at it.

In fact I am hard pressed to think of a single game in eight years were I haven't followed this principle. Not that I don't get the 'looking tacticool' thing but it just never appealed to me unless it was for a fancy dress loadout where extras are part of the get up.

'FireKnife'

I'm building my kit for milsims so it'd make sense to take the majority to regular games to help with conditioning and muscle memory. Obviously I'm not going to be dragging round a sleeping bag and shelter on a Sunday Skirmish though.

Im in the don't need it don't take it crew. Though saying that I have my rifle set up for night games and don't change it from that configuration even in daylight play. No need to mess about with it and it saves me adjusting to different weights and manipulation techniques. 

As for kit, its generally the same nowadays, I used to like to have all the Molle Used up with something to look Ally, but now it's just not worth it! If I get a new bit of kit I stick it on my gear, if it doesn't get used or doesn't suit my play I change it/loose it within a couple games! 

Actually I think, for the first time in also 8 years, I am looking at taking a holster to carry a second gun (pistol).

That is a first, as if my gun in hand went tits up it was only a stroll back to the safe zone for the other. Now I just want to see if and how well it works.

'FireKnife'

I started just practical tactical, ended up 'stream lining' and quickly went the other way.

Usually have two pistols and a rifle (with all the trimmings) but at NAE went with two rifles. All pouches have a use and I tend to carry a rather large med kit because I know how to use it and i'd hate to see someone in pain while I couldn't help.

Started fully kitted out with pantac's 1000D cordura and heated up very quicky. At first I thought I wasnt fit enough and ill get better. Now I realize I dont skirm much and replaced cqb gear with bare minimum bfg gear and outdoor with 500D cordure which is good enough. I guess we all change when our daydreams of a starting 'softer got replaced with the practical mind of a regular/ more experienced 'softer. I dont milsim and while tacicool is fine, for me it just slows me down. Also why i started the topic on replica's for the less abled 'softers. Go light, go fast, stay in the frontline longer and be more of a use for the team longer. Its just like sniping: most of the FNGs start out like that but a year later only the guys with the right mindset remain a sniper

I like excess baggage. But then most of my loadouts call for it from STALKER to old west impressions. I'll carry stuff that have zero use in a firefight like flares, gas mask bags, rucksacks, haversacks, pocket watches and body armor. But when something is physically putting me at a glaring disadvantage like wearing a big hat which gets shot out long before I've rounded a corner, I replace it with a smaller hat.

Started fully kitted out with pantac's 1000D cordura and heated up very quicky. At first I thought I wasnt fit enough and ill get better. Now I realize I dont skirm much and replaced cqb gear with bare minimum bfg gear and outdoor with 500D cordure which is good enough. I guess we all change when our daydreams of a starting 'softer got replaced with the practical mind of a regular/ more experienced 'softer. I dont milsim and while tacicool is fine, for me it just slows me down. Also why i started the topic on replica's for the less abled 'softers. Go light, go fast, stay in the frontline longer and be more of a use for the team longer. Its just like sniping: most of the FNGs start out like that but a year later only the guys with the right mindset remain a sniper

TACTICOOL FO LIFE.

I'd say just bare minimum. I don't got 3-5 k to drop on NVG/PEQ like most users here in Canada, lol. Or to use it twice a year :P.

Quoted post, I essentially did the same. First buy was a 6094, man was this thing heavy, held 6 mags, hella heavy, didn't need it. Also melted in the summer with a heavy PC.

I preferred light weight, so I then did some personal testing and gear changing. I switched my gear to the HSGI Small AO Chest Rig, where I now run 4 x X2R which can hold 8 mags. I did buy a HSGI Cobra+sure grip belt - but I don't run a pistol and it's useless to me now. Hell I don't even run a dump pouch anymore. Faster for me to shove them back into the tacos then to haul around the mags in the dump pouch.

Just picked up the Dytac SMR MK5 rail. Waiting for my VFC 10.5" outer barrel to come in, switching from a 14.5+urx4 to a smaller setup (SBR). I prefer light weapons where I am mobile, but I also like to play aggressive and sprint full speed as I noticed most people on my fields play passive/defensive.

You could always look into the D3 Chest Rig too.

Some people like to show off, so that's cool and what not, but I like to have features that are usable, So I really plan on just mounting my T1, and some keymod rail panels, that's a bout it. For 18-24 hour game events that go into the night I'll slap on my keymod rail panel and attach a flash light. Else the flash light is only placed and used for CQB environment games/skirmishes.

Everyone is different, just got to find something you like.

You know you are too taci-cool when the local army base uses a picture of your team instead of the OP's host team which the article was supposed to be about.

I like cool *suitcase*. But I find that it has to serve a purpose if I am going to have it on my body. So yeah I've bought stuff, threw it on. Then ripped it off when it got in the way.

Tacticool isnt what you wear but how you wear it 8)

In answer to the question I am somewhat utilitarian - mags n water for the 1.5hr games.

however I love moscarts so I carry 7 around - they are not that practical and well... I have an ag36 whereas I could put a mini launcher on a rail for a fraction of the weight. But that isn't as cool, so I lug the extra 2.5 odd kg around.

• 3 weeks later...

I only carry what I need on my PC (3 mag pouches, 2 secondary mag pouches, 1 utility pouch, 1 folding dump pouch, 1 Hydration carrier w/ a small utility pouch and my holster). On my 416 however I do have some stuff that's not really needed but looks cool, such as an AAC PTS suppressor and replica EOTech. 

Archived