Newb questions on upgrading CA M249

marine0351

hey guys, newb here. ive always considered getting into airsoft, but didnt know how to get into it since i didnt know anyone who played. well, now i do and am looking to get into it as an automatic rifleman. ive pretty much decided on a CA M249 para, and later when i have the money i plan on getting the daytona HPA kit for it. 

ive searched online for the answers to my questions, but unless i am an idiot, there isnt that much i could find, with most threads i found being at least 3 years old. 

so,

-what are some must have upgrades i should get when i order the gun? (ive been looking at a tightbore barrel to enhance accuracy, not sure what diameter or brand to look at though)(i dont need to hear about how a saw isnt designed for accuracy, the real ones are plenty accurate, and i would rather have accurate suppressive fire). Ive also heard of upgrading the hopup, but i need to pointed to an exact one so i dont get the wrong one/bad quality one. any battery upgrades? After reading the AEX review I have a guarder SP110 spring on the list.

-best quality mags to get? I'd like to get the nutsack ones to cut down on size and bulkyness, are the CA ones fine?

-what real steel parts can i add to upgrade the robustness of the gun? So far i was looking at the buttstock, RIS, bipod, upper handguard, and carry handle. i know where i can get all these parts, but was wondering if they fit fine or need modification, and what level of modification to fit. dont want to waste money on parts that have no hope of working.

-I am looking at ordering the gun from airsoft extreme, it has an option for a starter pack with a battery and charger but doesnt state what they are, does anyone know if that is a good choice or should i get some other battery/charger?

• 1 month later...

Thats a big ol' support gun you've chosen there!! I would suggest getting even just a little cheap rifle aswell for when you feel like running round though as the 249 are not exactly small or light haha!!

I dont know very little about these but I'd imagine a larger higher output batter will be a must too for stayability

• 3 weeks later...

On the accuracy issue:

It depends on how inconsistent your CA M249 is shooting for the spread to be useful.

I had 2 CAs; the PARA shot horribly inconsistent, the MK2 shot great.  The good shooting one had a grindy mechbox, while the horrible shooting one had a smooth mechbox.  If only I had both at the same time (I owned them at different times).

On the inconsistency, its a vertical variation in hop.  First shot would be dead on @50m, 2nd shot hops low drops just before 50m, 3rd shot hops high by 2m@50m.  and would vary between the 3 options.  It was near useless.  Didn't help with new hop rubber or barrel it was the same issue.

I gave up, bought an A&K (which is basically the same as a CA249).  My A&K PARA was consistent, but had some lateral movement which turns out to be front sight rotation around the front gas trunnion/bipod mount.  That was subsequently fixed by a Ring of Eproxy around the outer barrel.  Now it shoots laser beams.

Funny thing is my friends A&Ks had similar issues as my CA PARA, and that was a Mk1 and Mk2.  Similarly my A&K MK43 + M60 had similar issues but was the variance was acceptable operationally (5 round bursts within standing man target at 60m).  I never determined why this weird inconsistent hop effect.

It seems to be a hit and miss on the A&K and CA 249s, but seems to be there on the M60 series.  The PKM uses the same hop and hop rubbers but were laser accurate.

---------------------------------

Before you buy, it is best to test it at a store at 50m to see if there are any hop up inconsistencies at longer ranges.

New parts to buy before/while/after getting a CA/A&K

- CA/G&P Steel bipod mount/gas tube trunnion

- A&K M249 box mag (sound activated so much better)

- G&P steel magazine dust cover (the standard aluminium one will break)

- New hi torque motor

- New Connectors

Basically what I would do once I get a CA/A&K:

Barrel:

- Clean out the inner barrel from factory grease + hop rubber etc

- Test for outer barrel wobble with bipod mount/gas tube trunnion, Add eproxy to area, or use duct tape.

- Secure the barrel shim at the front (remove the flash hider/2 piece outer barrel)  There should be an aluminium barrel shim there to keep the barrel in alignment, glue it in place.

Just by doing that you should get a lot more consistency.

Mechbox:

- Clean out the mechbox from the grease, run it dry.  The M249s collect lots of ###### as the mechbox is pretty much exposed so less grease the less ###### will stick.

- Clean out cylinder of grease, cylinder head etc.

- Reshim, AOE, new piston, new spring, new battery connector

- New motor

- Adjust motor height

That will get your SAW humming.

Then add the new steel bipod mount/gas tube trunnion

From there centralise your windage on your rear sight, adjust your windage/zero the weapon using the front sight and hop up.

Total work hours for me is 20-40 minutes to do this tune up.  

Archived