Small Waterborne Creature Identification.

Tommygunn

I was filling up the padding pool from our water table depth well and saw some muck in the otherwise clean looking water. I just thought it was some debris the pump had bought up but on closer inspection they are some strange creatures I've never seen before.

Best way I can descibe them is that they are like segments of a chopped lizard's tail with jellyfish/starfish tentacles at either end. They are about 2.5mm in diameter and about 2mm in height, not including tentacles.

Does anyone have any idea what they are and if they are dangerous or parasitic to humans?

Cheers,

Tom.

WellCreaturesjpeg.jpg

Still gotten no response from those in my group but I've been thinking. Have you observed their behaviour for a period?

Part of me wants to say some sort of freshwater anemone but that's just speculation at this point.

They seem to do bugger all and don't at all seem to want to talk to each other and I've got four in a glass next to me as I type. They have all got their tentacles out (no perceivable movement), some more than most, and they just sit at the bottom of the glass.

The water, which is from this morning, I'm certain has got cloudier and I've just lifted it to the light above me and there appears to be other wispy thread like bodies in there, a fraction of a mm in width and about 1mm in length. However, without a microscope I can't tell if it is well poop, alien poop or offspring.

How does something like this adapt? The well was drilled when the house was built in 2008, straight into the dirt.

'The Things', but this is Italy and quite warm?

Tom.

Archived