''But I shot you First!'

AG1212

I was taking *albatross* and kicking names at my local site yesterday as per usual, with my G39 GBB against legions of AEG sprayers.

A few times I'd hit an enemy player, but they'd keep spraying until I am dead, and only would take their hit after I'd call hit. Instead of arguing about I took it and moved on. One time a player was hit by both my friend and I, but kept firing until we were both hit, and only then did he call it.

However I've been in the reverse situation where my round would hit a moment after the enemy hit me, or the hit wouldn't register immediately in my mind as the rounds hit my tac-vest. I of course take the hit, but the other player usually would say that I was hit first and therefore they shouldn't take the hit, although most players seemed to take it anyway in good sportsmanship. 

But what is the proper etiquette, do you guys think? Should you take the hit even though you shot them first, or should you keep playing? Or is it completely up to the circumstances?

I would usually go by the "if they are stupid enough to argue the toss without just accepting that it is a game and they have to spend 2 mins out of it then take it and leave them to be stupid".

So yeah. If I am unclear I take the hit. If someone has to get a hit to take a hit and does it once to me I just take it and move on, if they do it twice a marshal is informed and the players lack of conduct is mentioned to fellow team players to ensure they are aware of this player.

Beyond that it is up to the marshals on how they deal with it (the mark of a good/bad site). Either way I learned long ago (as many, many a player has too) that some people are just pathetic and have to get a hit in anyway they can. Leave them to play their little, silly game and report it if and when they keep doing it.

'FireKnife'

The way I see it there are two common occurrences:

1 You shoot the other player and they instantly shoot back but take the hit. You both had line of sight to each other and you both acted within a second or so. I'd take that because it's still fair play.

2 You shoot the other player, who then turns to face you and continues to shoot you until you take the hit from him. Sometimes even if you shoot them in the side or back they will take the time to turn around and shoot you.

Totally unfair play and cheating, I'd not take the hit and I generally report such cheating to marshals.

what he said ^^

the number of times i have shot someone in the back, only for them to turn around, return fire and then say 'well done m8, we got each other'

very frustrating to be explaining to the opposition that if they were initially hit in the back then its pretty unlikely that 'we got each other'

You shoot the other player and they instantly shoot back but take the hit. You both had line of sight to each other and you both acted within a second or so. I'd take that because it's still fair play.

This I have no issue with. Reacting to a shot and firing before you are clearly hit isn't a bad thing so long as it is a reaction and not a pause then shoot.

Many a time I have rounded a corner indoors to find someone on the other sides and it is almost like our shots have crossed so I happily take that, neither can really say they were hit before they shot.

It is the ones that argue these type of hits though that get me. Trying to say you can tell that you have hit someone before they pull the trigger when it is going that fast is impossible. Arguing the toss when you are not clear is not a good idea, just take the hit I say.

'FireKnife'

As others have posted, if it's a case of both parties reacting and firing almost simultaneously then IMO both should walk.

If however the person is clearly hit then why not take it until they get one themselves then that IMO is cheating and should be dealt with accordingly

In my view, all pellets you fire until you're hit counts. The pellets leaving your gun after you've been hit should not count, no matter if by accident or playing on. Sometimes you just don't react fast enough, but then you have to make an effort and tell the opponent that he's not hit.

If someone fires after they've been hit, and think you should take a hit for that, tell them "I DON'T TAKE HITS FROM DEAD PLAYERS, LEAVE THE FIELD."

Feelgood "both-go-out" solutions are only great if you're a *suitcase* player to begin with.

Always call your hits despite the asshat circumstances - however you can control the circumstances somewhat by appropriate shot placement and continued deliberate fire until your oponent raises their hand (as you have limited ammo in a G39 then I'd be going for crotch, *albatross* and skull taps to make things clear)

I think generally speaking, if you are both exposed enough that you are both trying to shoot each other, face on, most of your bodies exposed, even though you could easily distinguish your hit registering first, it's pretty fair to say you should both go out. But if their guns were down and they weren't paying attention / shooting at you, who then raise their gun to shoot you after essentially the sound of your gun has made them alert, then that's not cool.

That said, non-hit takers, while annoying, are not what bothers me the most, because generally there's always something you could do about them, which involves flanking and shooting them again, probably more times than usually required, you could almost make that into a game type mission, non-hit takers are heavier armoured enemies, just get your squad and pick on them, flank and shoot until they take it, it works. The worst people of airsoft in my books are the ones who loudly accuse others of not taking their hits (during the game, regardless of if they're just missing or they are really not taking their hits (people who loudly accuse others, in my experience, are just missing, but the best way is to talk to them afterwards or to a marshal, not in the middle of it, ruins it for everyone else) or the ones who get aggressively verbal because of they have walked into a room as a dead person and someone accidentally shoot them, again, deadmen don't talk, that includes "WTF I SAID I'M DEAD!!!!", if it hurts, wear more, if you don't want to, accept the occasional accidental hits after dead, it's part of the nature of the game. Anyway, rant over. 

If theres no real pause and you both cap each other, both players take a walk. Ive rounded corners into enemy players and we have all (2 vs 3) walked, without even firing a shot.

Now it does happen from time to time where people do fire well after being capped, now thats the time you take the hit, you walk past them and get a good solid description and take it to a marshall.

The way I see it there are two common occurrences:

1 You shoot the other player and they instantly shoot back but take the hit. You both had line of sight to each other and you both acted within a second or so. I'd take that because it's still fair play.

2 You shoot the other player, who then turns to face you and continues to shoot you until you take the hit from him. Sometimes even if you shoot them in the side or back they will take the time to turn around and shoot you.

Totally unfair play and cheating, I'd not take the hit and I generally report such cheating to marshals.

Basically the same here.

I would usually go by the "if they are stupid enough to argue the toss without just accepting that it is a game and they have to spend 2 mins out of it then take it and leave them to be stupid".

So yeah. If I am unclear I take the hit. If someone has to get a hit to take a hit and does it once to me I just take it and move on, if they do it twice a marshal is informed and the players lack of conduct is mentioned to fellow team players to ensure they are aware of this player.

Beyond that it is up to the marshals on how they deal with it (the mark of a good/bad site). Either way I learned long ago (as many, many a player has too) that some people are just pathetic and have to get a hit in anyway they can. Leave them to play their little, silly game and report it if and when they keep doing it.

'FireKnife'

As the above....

Nothing is worse than two idiots arguning in the middle of a field.

Ruins the atmosphere and I have certain placeses I simply wont go due to that kind of things

Feelgood "both-go-out" solutions are only great if you're a *suitcase* player to begin with.

If you mean as in both of you shoot (or one shoots immediately after the other, before registering the hit at all but after the gun has fired) then erm, yeah no.

If you mean someone shoots and then someone else fires back long enough after they are clearly hit then fine.

Two players unsure of a double hit situation and both taking it is how it should be, not claiming either is *suitcase* just because they both took it as fair game.

'FireKnife'

I play in a urban site and your always going to get the people who come in a door and your both lined up to easily hit each other, in a real situation you are both going to kill each other, bullets aren't instantaneous. (Yes okay you tap someone in the head they are dropping, but it takes more than you think to kill someone with adrenaline pumping through their body, which could be the difference between getting hit and taking your finger off the trigger) obviously people who get hit then turn around and shoot you, they should burn in an airsofters hell, (where all they can use is spring pistols)

I find it funny that people don't mind being safe from a grenade when they step through a door way will then ask the age old question, "when is a hit not a hit"

Basically the way I see it is if you would be hit. simple... Take it.

If you mean as in both of you shoot (or one shoots immediately after the other, before registering the hit at all but after the gun has fired) then erm, yeah no.

If you mean someone shoots and then someone else fires back long enough after they are clearly hit then fine.

Two players unsure of a double hit situation and both taking it is how it should be, not claiming either is *suitcase* just because they both took it as fair game.

'FireKnife'

More like if you disagree with each other on who shot first (or whatever the situation might be about). If you both agree that you don't know who shot first, sure.

But if some noob shoots me half a sec after i shoot him, and claims it was "at the same time", then no.

Ah that makes more sense. It read more like you were saying if you just both take the hit at face value then you are both *suitcase* players.

Though yes to sit and argue about it isn't the spirit of the game. Neither is turning the corner, hitting someone and then they turn and hit you back. Sure in the real world it would be very different, if you didn't kill or incapacitate with the first shot then yes they could fire back and take you out but yeah airsoft just isn't the real thing and sometimes people need to get that a hit is a hit, just take it, be nice and keep playing :D.

'FireKnife'

Ahh the Famous Mall warrior, takes out his own team cus "they are in the way" #knob!! Lol

Only once in the 9 years playing have i not heard or felt hits and that was when we where in the Tunnels and i was soo focused on shooting the other player that nothing was registering, it turned out after a brief battle; later he told me he saw me get hit. I just told him sorry, i didnt feel it, i'll take my vest off if you wish. Which he was cool about it.

I always have and always will take a hit as soon as I am aware of it, even if by someone who has clearly not taken theirs. It is just a pride thing, I wouldn't want to lower myself by doing anything else. Equally I would have no problem in reporting someone who I felt was clearly cheating, although on the whole I try to stay calm and not waste time on arguing with people.

That being said I also understand that sometimes people may not reailse they have been hit and may move or react just because they are aware that they are taking fire.

I hope most people will walk if they even suspect they might have been hit and am certain I have walked unhit many more times than i have stayed because I didn't feel a hit. 

Players who fail to take hits on a regular basis will get a bad name / reputation and hopefully organisers will react to it .

What I do find odd is the experienced team / site players who seem to feel that a hit from someone unworthy does not count. I have seen this a few times and cant understand why a regular player would do it or how their fellow players would just turn a blind eye.

I always like players who intentionally take out players from their own team:-

Ahhh this guy again...seen this Multicamed Baked Potato waddling around in most airsoft forums. I've been to The Mall quite a few times and he was about 10 feet away from his own spawn area with high chance of not having a line of sight of any opposing player even if he was there alone.

I was taking *albatross* and kicking names at my local site yesterday as per usual, with my G39 GBB against legions of AEG sprayers.

A few times I'd hit an enemy player, but they'd keep spraying until I am dead, and only would take their hit after I'd call hit. Instead of arguing about I took it and moved on. One time a player was hit by both my friend and I, but kept firing until we were both hit, and only then did he call it.

However I've been in the reverse situation where my round would hit a moment after the enemy hit me, or the hit wouldn't register immediately in my mind as the rounds hit my tac-vest. I of course take the hit, but the other player usually would say that I was hit first and therefore they shouldn't take the hit, although most players seemed to take it anyway in good sportsmanship. 

But what is the proper etiquette, do you guys think? Should you take the hit even though you shot them first, or should you keep playing? Or is it completely up to the circumstances?

To answer the original post of this thread. The basic etiquette in that situation is for both players to take their hits. Also, could you name the site that you went to because it doesn't seem as though it is well marshaled if  you're having to play against Iron-Men, Terminators and Juggernauts.

Archived