Maruzen NEW PPK/S Initial Impressions Review

Well for me it is all of a 4 mile drive so they are hardly likely to kick up a fuss when I am stood there next to them.

Plus I am at least polite about these things, unlike others who just assume they are always right (only exception for me is RM but that is down to constant issues and changes of mind when they feel like it while considering a month to be acceptable amount of time to mount a reply).

'FireKnife'

I must admit given how bloody awful they used to be it is refreshing to see they are at least trying to change that negative name.

Saying that though I could have sworn they had a big management shake up a short while ago, might be wrong but all the faces I see in the shop now I never saw 3-4 years ago.

'FireKnife'

• 4 weeks later...

Nope, it is a blued finish over a silver paint base.

It means that when it 'wears' it looks realistic but it is still plastic overall for the base material, has to be given that Maruzen pistols are like TMs and have very specific guidelines on what can be metal / plastic.

Still it is a bloody nice finish I must say.

'FireKnife'

I had the 'new' version bought in 2011. I loved it at first despite occasional missfeeds. Within a few months of owning however, myy safety also snapped off (with minimum use), which was why I started to dislike these pistols. As great as the kick and overall quality/build was, mine started to fall apart. Sounds a bit exaggerated, but the metal used internally is simply very weak, and most of the components can be bent by hand. Compared to a KSC SIG P232, it's a fragile design. The safety was the first to go, then parts of the BBU, then the trigger bar. If these were better built internally I wouldn't hesitate to buy another (The black metal finish is beautiful, although not very wear resistant), but as they are now I can't recommend them for long-term durability. I was hoping these newer ones might be made of a  better alloy, but your safety cracking off seems to show it isn't.

Edited by GlockworkOrange

I must admit that didn't put me in good stead either.

However it is now fixed, working and has fired a good few shots (up near the 1000 mark by my last guess, both dry and not) and seems to be ok.

Will have to see how it goes but on 144a it still does well and the light slide helps as it runs equally as well in the cold. Still trying to sell it though as I have too many pistols.

'FireKnife'

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Eh, maybe Bond isn't that big in Japan (obviously the racial stereotyping in You Only Live Twice was clearly too much for them)?

That or it is just not possible while maintaining a fully working GBB design? I mean Maruzen surely must have a reason for why they went with the PPK/S and not the PPK given that the /S doesn't really have any significance?

Also second safety lever went. Now it has just used as my spare and when it breaks I will just sell off the parts and mags, not really fussed with it any more :(.

'FireKnife'

• 3 months later...

49 euros.

Had to dremel a lot of the wood from the inside to make the top half of the grips flat on the inside as it is designed for a RS frame.

Had to remove the metal cross pieces and weights from the grip area and had to dremel off the raised screw points. Also needed a longer grip screw as it was just too short. When you remove the cross shaped piece, you will need to source a pair of retaining pins for the sear.

• 1 month later...

So, how do I know if I have the "new" vs. the "New -new" version?  I bought mine about two years ago. Well, two PPKs actually.  I bought the cheap full-metal one and a Maruzen, and then I put the internals of the Maruzen into the full metal.  The mags are interchangeable, but the Maruzen mag is far superior in performance...