Help needed, any decorators on Arnies?

Cannonfodder80

Hello all. Basically the pull cord light switch in my bathroom has been sticking so you have to pull it harder and harder (giggidy) until last night when the plasterboard on the ceiling broke leaving a nice 2 inch hole. My question is how would I go about fixing this? Would filling the hole with plaster and replacing the switch do the trick or would this just break leaving a bigger mess?

Thanks, all help is greatly appreciated

A longish piece of wood through the hole, 8" or so, screw up through the board either side of the hole (equally spaced).

Fill the hole and screw holes, re-paint, then fasten the light switch to said piece of wood.

Probably best to buy a new pull switch too :)

The pull cord probably broke because there were pieces of damaged plaster falling into the moving parts and jamming them.

Clean the switch out, put tape over the top of it (to stop more bits falling in it) then tape the whole thing to the ceiling.

If the hole is particularly bad you could put some tape up there first to reinforce everything.

No problem with moving the switch, as long as you fix it to something other than just plasterboard. It will happen again otherwise

Do the piece of wood thing, and move the switch. Offer the switch up, drill through, and screw the top of the switch to the wood, 'sandwiching' the plasterboard.

Then fill the old hole and paint.

Or get stunt round with his gaffa tape and propensity for sticking things to other things whilst grinning like a maniac...

Archived