• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, so its finally here!! The Cybergun/VFC FNX-45. #YOLOSWAG   The box is as you’ve all seen, glossy picture with the promotional jargon plastered in the spare space. There is no packaging inside th

paintjob done...

Posted Images

Have the gun apart right now. Looks like it is not backstrap related. It does not interfere with the hammer housing.

What it does look like is that since the crosspin of the safetey/decocker is the only thing holding the hammer housing in place, once you get a little wear in there, the hammer housing will tilt slightly out of place. And due to the very tight tolerances of the internal mechanisms, this will make things go out of alignment, causing it do behave strangely.

I think it can be fixed by padding the hammer housing so it sits tighter and gets pushed in place towards the back.

Also think I might be able to fix the safety lever not covering the red dot completely :D

There really should have been a secondary anchor point from above, a screw, like on most guns, to keep this in place.

Once you get a little wear on the cross pin it's going to go sideways from there.

I would advice that you use the decocker as little as possible to prevent this from happening.

And it's done!

Again, huge thanks to everyone who helped out! :D

Enjoy!

Also, I will not be getting off the RS backstrap in this lifetime. It is on there good! No worries though, just glad I put the right one on  to begin with :P

If you are going to put on RS backstraps you need to remove some material from the flat rear of the grip of the frame to make it easier, and possibly sand down the square post on the back.

Edited by NonEx
  • Like 1

Well OK then... I just spent 8 hours today working on the internals of this gun trying to get it to work properly.

TL;DR, this guns internals are absolute *suitcase*. 0.25mm of wear on anything in there and it will act up. Unless you are a hardcore FNX fan, buy something else.

So, about the trigger/hammer issue. This is caused by the trigger bar deforming from the pressure of the Double Action pull... It warps and gets shifted to the left hand side, and then the tripping of the sears don't work properly.

Secondly, the decocker, the left-hand side cam disc which trips the sear so the gun decocks had about 0.25mm of wear, if not less, and that is enough for it to prevent the decocking cam disc from pushing up the sears far enough to release the hammer forward. I fixed it by putting on a couple of layers of aluminum tape.

The fact that the cross pin for the safety levers is the only thing holding the hammer mechanism in place, and considering how little things can be off before it stops working, it just seems like bad design... :o

And, of course I also managed to strip the allen screw on the right hand side safety lever when finishing up, so now I won't ever be able to take this gun apart again. And I hope to Dog I never have to.

The sad thing is there is no need for this gun to have these tight tolerances. It's like the made it in CAD so the parts just barely touch and thought it would be fine...

I haven't even shot any BBs through this gun. I have racked the slide, done DA pulls, SA pulls, safe and decocking maybe 300-400 times when playing with it, and it can't even handle that. What a joke.

From this moment onwards, this is a display piece only... *fruitcage* hell. Dog damn VFC/Stark and their *suitcase* internals.

On the plus side, I polished up all the internals to make it super smooth. This was done before I realized the trigger bar warping was the real issue, but it certainly didn't hurt.

Also managed to fix so that the safety levers now cover up the red dot completely. PITA to fix, not recommended!

nx_fnx_internals_polished.JPG

nx_fnx_safety_fixed.JPG

Not very happy right now :(

Edited by NonEx

How many times have you taken it to bits/messed with it NonEx?  I'm not saying you caused the problems but there are quite a few owners that have actually shot them, reporting no/minimal issues.

Maybe this is one of those guns you fingerbang, ogle, shoot/skirmish, field strip, clean and that's it.  No stripping down to component parts.

Again, I'm not absolving VFC of making a sub par product and laying all the blame on you but perhaps it's like a finely tuned ecosystem, it can't deal with being messed with.  Although saying that, the issues you describe do seem like design faults so I don't know.  I just haven't seen anyone else describe such problems.  Maybe that's because they haven't put them through the 'NonEx accelerated wear program' like you do lol.

You have a point there but what gun cant handle 500 shots? Well the equivilent in racking etc...

I play with my airsoft stuff probably close to as much as Non Ex does yet never had a major breakage and I also shoot them a hell of a lot.

Equally stripping it down shouldnt cause it to fail, even if its down to base parts.

on my phone, my spelling will suck

Who knows.  Could be a lemon.  Could be what is to come down the line for current owners.

For most people, to hit 400 decocks, they would probably have to have it a few years, let alone a few weeks.  I don't think I even have a gun that's done more than 100 decocks ha.

As for stripping, yeah, it shouldn't be an issue but if the tolerances are so tight and something is put back not 100%, I imagine that's where the problems start.

• Like 1

I've had it apart and together like 5-6 times if you count all the rebuilds in the same session. But the problems I am experiencing are not related to that unfortunately. Once I figured out how all the parts go together it's not really that big of a deal and you can't really misplace anything because then it doesn't fit/work.

The trigger/hammer issue has been rather "widely" reported by FNX users, but mostly intermittently and not to the degree that I ended up experiencing. But I can tell you that I have not messed with the trigger bar with mine until now. It took quiet a bit of force to bend it back in shape. And I realized just how much force was required when trying to push the DA hammer back with the trigger bar and hammer housing outside of the gun. It's ridiculous.

I have experienced it on and off intermittently since I got it, but since last week it got really bad. And it actually started a day or two after I installed the new backstrap. I recall I had taken the slide off, put it back on, racked the gun and went to fire and all of a sudden it was all wonky on me. (Also as I mentioned when I took out the hammer housing I realized it had nothing to do with the backstrap. I does not put pressure on the hammer housing.)

And the decocker as mentioned there was very noticable wear right at the part where it's supposed to engage.

It is possible though that the sticky trigger/hammer bar led to the decocker being further worn because the parts were out of timing. 

The stripping of the grub screw is of course my own fault.

And I didn't mean 400 decocked but 400 operations in total of all of them combined. But yes, I have decocked it quiet a bit.

I do play with many of my guns a lot and I have not had anything close to this in terms of problems from just having a gun out and about.

I am really disappointed in this considering I just finished up the "Project RS Case" for it and thought I could sit back and enjoy it from now on. :(

So, to defend myself ( :P ), that I have broken it from tinkering, I think not, because during my work today I figured out the problems and fixed them, and now it's working better than it ever did straight out of the box. But I don't think it will hold up for long unfortunately. The problems I found are so specific in character and placement that it would be a long shot for me to cause that kind of specific wear or deformations at those points.

To answer your question, in my opinion, yes, it has been through the "NonEx accelerated wear program" and I would imagine this will happen to more people down the line, depending on how they use it.

I think, most people, during normal operations, don't use the DA as much as I have. I think that is a real problem because as I said the trigger bar can't handle the force over time that is required to cock and release the hammer with the DA pull :|

So my advice, DA and decock as little as possible, and best of luck :D

Edited by NonEx
  • Like 1

At the price point after cyber*insert nasty words here* have demanded they should have more profits due to their licensing gustappo it should be made from titanium.

Nethertheless, bad design and functionality can't always be remedied by chucking steel or another better material choice into the mix. I've been watching this thread for some time, have to say the FNX looks superb - such a shame on its internals, more specifically, the ridiculous tolerances to get it to function.

Edited by sadigh
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been eying this gun recently to replace my TM HI-CAPA. I absolutely love the 1911 series and despite my small-ish hands even full-sized models are super comfy to handle. So I'm wondering if anyone has found this seemingly large sidearm to have a similar feel, weight, etc., to a full-size 1911. Thank you! :)

Edited by Nami

It's massive compared to a 1911. Seriously it's huge. The double stack magazine makes it huge for starters!

Even compared to your hicapa this is gonna feel big. Everything about it is bigger, it rides higher in your grip and so on. Personally I would try one for size if you're worried about it, if you're able to of course.

Some of the internals are steel actually. But not enough parts apparently. 

Problem with that all steels aren't the same and I'm sure I've said it before but the magnet test that airsofters often use doesn't indicate a part is entirely made from steel, just that it might have some iron or steel content (or other magnetic metal), it's no great indicator of the quality of the metal or it's hardness.

It's also worth remembering that not all steels are magnetic, I recently did a subcontract job where I had to use stainless steel bearings in an assembly and to make sure no plain steel bearings had got mixed in by the supplier I used a magnetic base to check them. I would be suprised to find stainless steel inside a stock airsoft gun anywhere other than pins, valves and screws but if there were the magnet test could lead someone to think the part isn't steel.

All that said it's obvious this pistol has flaws, you only have to look as far as the daft magazine base plate seal design to see that, it's probably the worst magazine design I've seen so far imo.

• Like 2

Regarding the size, I actually found that it doesn't feel as big as it looks, and I have like small/medium sized woman-ish hands.

But try to get a hold of one to fondle first before you decide.

IMO it's not that far off in feel/size to a Beretta M9. Just different feel :P

It's massive compared to a 1911. Seriously it's huge. The double stack magazine makes it huge for starters!

Even compared to your hicapa this is gonna feel big. Everything about it is bigger, it rides higher in your grip and so on. Personally I would try one for size if you're worried about it, if you're able to of course.

Double stacked .45? Woah. Thanks for detailing how it handles with regard to the grip. This model riding higher up in your hands actually sounds fairly attractive. I always enjoy something with a substantial size and sense of weight to it.

Regarding the size, I actually found that it doesn't feel as big as it looks, and I have like small/medium sized woman-ish hands.

But try to get a hold of one to fondle first before you decide.

IMO it's not that far off in feel/size to a Beretta M9. Just different feel :P

Thank you! I'm glad to hear that we have that in common then! I'm curious, did you use the standard large backstrap or the additional small backstrap? Your comparison to the M9 makes it seem like you used the latter for the FNX-45.