New to airsoft and need an explanation....

Dacascos

So in short I have used the search bar rigerousy and yes I know the rules and regulations set out by the government concerning the sale of RIF however..............

Is there or could we get a List of price based manufacturers againt their rep for noobs like myself? or point me in that directon?

As said I have searched and looked on UK and oversea's sites simply to be o more enlightened on the matter!! Yes i see the $600 TM rifles are great BUT being new to the sport I'm not happy (or should i say the widfe is not) spending that much straight away.

I also see whats $90 on RSOV can be £180 in the UK... causing yet more confusion on quality, do you see where I'm coming from?

A simple AEG listout covering the cheap cheap brands then mid range and expensive, which to trust and which are not what they say they are or to stay away from would be great!  I've read the what aeg threads and most are gun designs not the manufacturer. I mean I like the G36c always have BUT a TM G36c will be similar inside to a TM M4 its the body thats different, so whos internals are trust worthy at what price. I think I'm making sense here haha

As I said if I have missed in my search I would most appreciative if you can throw me the link!!

The problem is, there's no definitive list.

Some cheap stuff is amazing, some expensive stuff is rubbish.

Some of the middle ground stuff is great but occasionally the quality control can be lack-lustre. 

Generally, TM guns are the absolute best out of the box skirmishing guns ever. Provided you don't mess around with them, they just work. Other guns may have more power, or a faster rate of fire, etc, but TM's will always be more reliable, and they have magic for Hop-Up units. Pure magic.

G&G combat machines are pretty good for start guns, too, so I've heard.

What guns are you interested in? Some people might make a brilliant AK but a mediocre M4, and a rubbish P90.

Well that makes it even more complicated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like i said I love the G36c always have and will probably grab a KSC G17 as I've used one and it was great. The G36 though I have seen Ucres (or something like that) have the licencing for an exact replica which from rsov is way under $200 BUT then I read on here the gearbox is terrible?

I was really hoping a basic definitive list would be possible and it sounded such a great idea too lol!! 

As said I have searched and looked on UK and oversea's sites simply to be o more enlightened on the matter!! Yes i see the $600 TM rifles are great BUT being new to the sport I'm not happy (or should i say the widfe is not) spending that much straight away.

I also see whats $90 on RSOV can be £180 in the UK... causing yet more confusion on quality, do you see where I'm coming from?

There's another way to look at this.

At one point in time, I had 33 RIFS, some were used, some weren't, some I did not know I even owned.

Had I bought a Next Gen TM at the very beginning, I would have saved myself £'000's as, IMHO, it's all the AEG you'll ever need.

At any point in time, buy the best you can. 

I now only own two RIF's, both TM EBBR M4's.

Both are tinkered with, inside and out and I genuinely feel I don't need to own anything else (AEG wise).

Well I'll be renting for a little bit obviously and the rifles at Gunman are all M4's so there's not much room for getting the feel of other platforms and I'm way to new to be borrowing weapons i think, thats got to be a big trust thing.

Don't get me wrong I would love to spend the cash on great kit but to me a hobby is just that and not something I'd throw huge amounts of money at as its purely a luxury and with wife and children most the money is already accounted for haha

I'm quite a big guy so I agree the M4 is a little small, the L85 is nice but the G36 although stocky like me really does hold my attention. Its just so pretty!!

Borrowing wise doesn't mean you have to field it for the whole day, you can just take it out to have a few shots as I am sure many players will be fine with such things if you ask nicely.

The best would be to draw up the design you like, which as you have said is a G36C, the look at who makes one (off the top of my head that is TM, JG, Ares and CA ones exist) and what prices to expect.

Then ask more specifically based on the ones available to you. Many will recommend the JG and they are good guns but can be hot out of the box. A TM will last but it is the older of the designs and you have to accept that to get low powered but still fantastic performance.

It is a minefield and really you have to boil down to what you want and why. The community can go some ways to help but first perhaps making a shortlist or asking someone that has or has had the gun or guns you plan to buy helps.

Though at least this isn't just a typical 'what is bestest gnu?' to which the answer is usually 'the one that's in a shape you like and a make you can afford' but not always.

'FireKnife'

Ask about - i'd happily lend you anything in my box of tricks

So would I but I doubt it would be an AEG and it would probably be useless except for 'knife' kils ;).

Though just to point out to the OP a location might help (unless I have missed it) then one of us might see you at a nearby site and help you out.

'FireKnife'

FireKnife - I have seen and read the sticky on asking 'whats the bestest gun innit' style threads, the initial basis for the thread seemed so simple and such a logical idea for all noobs like me. The fact it turned out to be an utter landmine of a question I did not expect!!!

We should be playing with the same company again on the 25th so I may have a little chat around lunch to have a try of different rifles hopefully I get a good response!

I've researched into the G36, TM obviously is awesome, JG seems to be a good basis and Ares is one to miss completely due to massive internal issues. What do yuou mean by hot out the box???

My location is Lakenheath, Suffolk

If something is 'hot' out the box then it'll be firing a little over the limit.

350fps is the top band for AEGs and due to higher limits in other countries (where the AEG is manufactured) the rifle will shoot a little high.

For example, my AK-74 shot at well over 450fps when I got it, which as it's capable of full auto means it's well out the limit of law. SImple answer - if you buy something new and it's shooting like a rocket it might be over - always, always chrono airsoft kit regardless of times used/brand new/borrowed it off a mate etc.

And there's a way to remidy this i would imagine?? Shorten the spring?

Yeah 450 may be a little high but still impressive!

So almost lunch and time to research JG G36's, issues, resolutions and needed upgrdes to make it last....  where are you search button, I'm going to get you hahah!

no TM product will be over our accepted UK limits, but some of the other makes might be.

as for a g36c, well overall it is a great design as you are probably aware. however, when buying and fielding an aeg for the 1st time, there can be small pitfalls which are not obvious to a potential buyer. i would suggest that 1 of the biggest problems with g36's is the size of the magazines, as they dont fit in common pouches and u may have to invest in specific ammo pouches if u choose to carry any spare magazines that way. if you are just going for a shoulder bag with a couple of spare mags in it then its not a problem.  g36 magazine size only becomes an issue if you want to use a vest, chest-rig or plate-carrier

one of my sons has a jg g36c, very solid, awesome aeg, great for a beginner or expert so long as the mag storage isnt an issue. (my local site uses jg g36's with the large battery foregrip as hire guns  they are that reliable)

Replacing the spring is often the easiest way to go. You can get a good stock of cheap lower end springs floating about or ask a retailer to downgrade it upon purchase for a fee.

As for the JG, it is probably best to just see what FPS it flings out on a .2g bb then look at changing the spring if it is too high. This can be different between guns so don't take 'oh mine is at 340 out of the box' as gospel (the perils of China guns I am afraid).

Beyond that you could probably leave it stock and be fine, just replacing what breaks as it breaks. Again this is a very loaded point and open to a lot of interpretation. Best bet is to take the plunge, buy one, chrono it or ask for it to be downgraded and then start playing with it until it breaks, the same could be said for a lot of guns that run out of the box though.

Again like I said, massive minefield and you will always get those contradictions.

'FireKnife'

one of my sons has a jg g36c, very solid, awesome aeg, great for a beginner or expert so long as the mag storage isnt an issue. (my local site uses jg g36's with the large battery foregrip as hire guns  they are that reliable)

I had a little look on RSOV and they sell the larger foregrip for $11 which is a win. The pouches are an issue but theres always a work around as you say!

FireKnife - definately a mine field :o  hahaha, would you agree to strip the gearbox and shim/grease before even using it????

FireKnife - definately a mine field :o  hahaha, would you agree to strip the gearbox and shim/grease before even using it????

It might help. Not like it could make things worse so long as you don't cock it up like I do with electric guns :P.

Given that many sites seem to use both G&G Combat Machines and JG G36Cs as hire guns that might say somthing about them? I am sure though you will find someone with a JG G36C that can help, they were all the rage in the early days of Chinese clones.

'FireKnife'

well its possible to get an acceptable lipo in the original foregrip but if you're wanting to avoid lipos and use a large nimh battery pack then the larger foregrip is made of win..

not only are the g36 mags a bit chunky but they have those fkn tabs on them as well. now some people think those tabs are amazingly useful, a godsend even. i think they are the curse of satan and only there to slow u down when attempting a mag change whilst under heavy fire --- FKN TABS ON MY MAGS< WONT COME OUT OF THE DAMN POUCH -- OW, HIT !!!   hehe dont worry you'll work it out m8, and have fun doin so

and yeah, do not let this discourage you, if a g36 is what you like the look of, then only that will satisfy your urges. buying any other format (m4, ak, scar etc) will eventually end up with you eyeing other peoples g36's and thinking 'i still really like the look of that, why didnt i buy one of those..'

get the gun you would like to be holding in a picture of you holding a gun, make an informed decision and get the best one of that format you can afford and then go have fun making it work for you, there are no perfect solutions or silver bullets in airsoft.

and all* of the recent asg/jg g36's i have seen new out of the box are hovering right around 340-350, and that is another reason my local site uses them as hire guns. not only are they solid and reliable but just about the perfect power level out of the box so that the rental guys do not feel outgunned by the regulars

* probably seen 5 or 6 new jg g36's taken straight out of the box and chronoed in the last couple of months, either it's just been sold to a customer or there's a shortage of rentals and it's to be used immediately as a hire gun. none of them were over 355fps

I loved the look of the mp5 sd when I started out , so that's what I got . 16 years an many rifs later I still haven't found an aeg assault rifle or sub mg platform I'm 100% happy with ,and wouldn't even look at any mp5 platforms. Welcome to airsoft .

get the gun you would like to be holding in a picture of you holding a gun, make an informed decision and get the best one of that format you can afford and then go have fun making it work for you, there are no perfect solutions or silver bullets in airsoft.

Probably one of the best bits of advice given!!!

I loved the look of the mp5 sd when I started out , so that's what I got . 16 years an many rifs later I still haven't found an aeg assault rifle or sub mg platform I'm 100% happy with ,and wouldn't even look at any mp5 platforms. Welcome to airsoft .

I guess a lot of it is just the taste of the person, theres so so many variations of each weapon not to mention the amount of weapons so taste is primary to choice. I mean they all have to fire the same fps as max so its a lot like stock car racing they just look a little different on the outside!!

heroshark makes an excellent point, and i have also been on a similar journey of m4's and mp5's and now use an ak type aeg which i never would have chosen at the beginning. however as a beginner you have to start somewhere, so starting with a gun u like the look of is good enough, so long as you have done your research etc.

if u decide that this airsoft malarkey is for you then no doubt  you will be acquiring many more toys in the future. but for a beginner, so long as its not a lemon, buy the aeg u like the look of, they are nearly all capable of performing acceptably

I think one of my main gripes is mag size. I like  to slither around on my belly a lot ,so if a gun uses a long mag this doesn't help when your down on the ground. Second is selector accessibility/function, I like easy to reach ambidextrous  selectors. Third is length, I like smaller rifles. Then it just boils down to looks. The g36c is good on the first 3 fronts for me ,although imo I wouldn't have one as I don't like it in the looks department. Whatever you do decide on it's best to find the best maker of the particular gun your after and you shouldn't go far wrong.

Archived