2 or 3 point tactical straps for your RIF? Opinions?

Dacascos

I'm prepping my kit list currently and with rifle, side arm, clothes and cover sorted I'm down to the tac gear.

I think I'm going to hit a MTP Molle vest for all my load requirememnets but to keep my rifle secure and NOT have to carry it all day what are your suggestions??

You may like the little article I wrote here on the forum a little while back for some info on 1 vs 2 vs 3 point slings.  Link in sig.

Basically, an adjustable 2 point does exactly what you'd need from a 3 point but with fewer straps, buckles, clips etc and general faff and *suitcase* getting in your way.  Personally I prefer an adaptable 1 -> 2 point like the Magpul slings the best after trying numerous options, but either way the 3 point is very much a cold war relic that's been superseded by better gear designs over the years.  For example, I particularly hate using the issued one on the L85 and it's not until you try a 2 point on there that you realise how *fruitcage* moronic the 3-pointer is in terms of blocking your mag catch, bolt release and (to some extent) getting in the way of the selector lever with that extra strap that a 2-point doesn't have.

3 point slings are the work of the devil (they've been on my hate list for two decades lol). A good two pointer from the likes of Viking Tactics or BFG will serve you well. If you want the option of going to a single point then Magpul's slings will do the job, or any 2 point sling rigged with an IWC 2-to-1 and HK hooks/MASH hooks or QD's. 

I personally like 1 point slings, but only in a very specific setup. They are f-ing annoying when ran through both shoulder straps of a PC as it makes the rifle dangle in the middle, making it impossible to do anything at all except for holding the rifle. 

When ran through only one shoulder straps however, as many designs allow, then they hang on one side, making movement and transition a whole lot easier. The only downside would be that strong to weak side transitions become a little bit more difficult. Enter the Magpul QD sling adapter. I currently run an el-cheapo one point sling through my PC and have jerry-rigged this little baby through it http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/combat-gears/slings-lanyards/magpul-ms1-ms3-sling-adaptor-mag516-ranger-green.html#.VDTiSr7lM_s

Works like a charm. Then again, I have never tried a 2 point sling and hate 3 points with a passion so my opinion might be a little biased. 

I've ran 1, 2, 3 point slings. 

Nothing will ever beat the convenience of a adjustable 2 point sling. I am especially a fan of the Ares Armory Huskey sling. MS3 is a good choice too, although you really lack the on-the-fly adjustability of an adjustable 2 point sling.

An MS3/4 combined with an adjustable 2-point beats the convenience of just the 2-point by quite a margin IMO, but each to their own.

True story on the L85 issue but the single point also leaves a lot to be desired the moment you move hahaha

Not sure which other 1-pts you may have tried, but the issued '1 point' doesn't even qualify as a sling in my book.  That's just a cheap little attachment strap, pathetic design it really is (as you'll be aware).

Vtac padded has been my go-to for years; most recently with QD swivels. I could understand the need to transition to a 1-point which is where one of these guys would come in handy: http://www.optactical.com/vita2to1.html Unless you're completely against QD swivels it seems like an ideal and simple solution to me.

EDIT: If someone made a clash-hook style product similar to the one I linked I think it would be a big hit for those who dislike QD. I guess a simple (preferably metal) D ring sewn into the sling near the rear attachment point would work just as well.

I don't usually like slings save for putting them on as decorations on soviet hardware, but the one true sling that I do appreciate is an IDF 2 point. That right there is possibly the most comfortable sling you'll ever get to your shoulders but at the same time very soft and pliable so never does get in the way.

I agree with Beta08, the VTAC sling has become my favorite, and I was planning on using it as a 1 point and 2 point, with the addition of hooks as the mounting points. But I now have the sling fixed and I really like the sling more than anything I have ever used.

Archived