So, snipers....... HMMMMMMM...

Dacascos

So me and the guys from work are off to Gunman Tuddenham this month and after looking at the site, low scrub and open area's I can hear the word screaming in my head of 'SNIPER HAVEN' and alongside the memory of the just passed weekend getting shot several times with NO IDEA where it came from haha I thought I would ask this question...

..so HOW do you spot and trace snipers??!!!!!

Very frustrating :angry:  :D

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

..so HOW do you spot and trace snipers??!!!!!

In airsoft rather easily as about 90% of people that have bolt action guns are not 'snipers' and assume that they know what they are doing ;).

However the remaining 10% well there are a few tactics, some of which involve having more people than they can fire reliable shots off at, others are to simply ignore the area they have locked down and finally you can use the good old method of 'reaction shooting', if you see something move take two shots at it with your AEG. Most people will flinch enough that you can see if there is someone there or not.

Really you could have a whole article on this, along with what to look for and where to look for it. Best bet is to work with those around you to establish where the shots are coming from. However saying that it is rare, as said above, that anyone properly plays as a sniper.

Oh and lots of smoke / general pyro can help but this is called the 'American Diplomacy' method and is often very expensive plus likely to hit about ten of your own people.

'FireKnife'

We had one or two pretty spot on snipers on saturday that were a nightmare to track, and their weapons definately had some distance and power on them given the welt on my left rear shoulder lol but only once or twice did I catch sight of them and usually only in heavy fire moments!!

In towns and built up areas there are simple rules that guide you to lessen the chance of getting picked off but in woodland and heavy shrub like that....... there's just two much to look at when you're in almost constant contact and everything is moving!!

The take a few shots in that directions seems a safe bet so I thank you for that one dude I will be using heavily!!

The take a few shots in that directions seems a safe bet so I thank you for that one dude I will be using heavily!!

It works well but also leads to a flip side of making sure it is just one or two shots. I have seen many a person freak and go either full burst or spamming the trigger in the hope of something happening. :D

Though another good thing is to put something between you and them and put them at range. They are still firing a .3-.4g bb into the wind and atmosphere.

Or finally one that I prefer is know where there MED is and get inside it, right inside and make them work for it. Some think to carry a spare gun but some just rely on a pistol that they might not have set up right and that can make all the difference. This however assumes your site runs a good length MED and the 'sniper' actually sticks to it.

'FireKnife'

Or finally one that I prefer is know where there MED is and get inside it, right inside and make them work for it. Some think to carry a spare gun but some just rely on a pistol that they might not have set up right and that can make all the difference. This however assumes your site runs a good length MED and the 'sniper' actually sticks to it.

Be aware though, some of us do know how to use a pistol. ;)

I always thought the 'American Diplomacy' method involved a series of long bursts from two SAW's, at least 5 shells from a m79 or m203, and at least 7 grenades tossed over in the general direction. :D

Just as expensive and friendly-fire prone though.

Yes but you belong in that 10% that actually know what you are doing :P.

The remainder just think various wrong things like FPS is the answer to everything, sniping is like Call of Duty and that they have to outdo the K:D ratio of everyone else.

I am even tempted to take up my idea of running a G-Spec at low end FPS, with irons and using it as a stalking carbine rather than a sniping weapon, something which can work very well in airsoft.

I always thought the 'American Diplomacy' method involved a series of long bursts from two SAW's, at least 5 shells from a m79 or m203, and at least 7 grenades tossed over in the general direction. :D

Just as expensive and friendly-fire prone though.

Depends what you have the budget for. Though you could go 60s style and use destroy miles of rainforest using a flammable chemical agent that should by all rights be banned (and probably is now)? :D

'FireKnife'

So all I'm seeing is the general overall piece of advice is a good helping of napalm...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Now wheres my cookbook  :D

Hey if you're going to do it do it right I always say lol

So run in arc's, stay in there effective range, send some noobs like me running through the terrain, then pick them off and if all else fails, napalm. Gotcha ;)

Tuddenham is brilliant / awful for snipers / victims. Delete as appropriate.

On the map, 18, 45 (near the Barn/combine) there are a few mounds which snipers can hide behind. 

There's a depression around 17, 40 that is quite a good strong hold, reasonably easy to hold. Difficult to take. 

The entire scrub/brushland is quite tricky - snipers will hide literally anywhere in there.

Attacking the village from the scrubland is nigh-on impossible. Have fun if they decide to do that ;)

Buiding 5 - 10, 45 and 10, 44 has a large open area to the west of it before buldings 6 and 7 - that can be tricky to assault over. 

Tuddenham is my very favouritest site ever. Tell Josh me and the Arnies lot sent you. :)

You have a problem with a few lone snipers? Team work is always an answer. If you know the site even better.
General rule for newcomers: if you hear a hit of BB near you, move your *albatross*! Don't stay in same place and try to spot the sniper =)

I will leave a pic of our team roster here =)

1017681_10201422501675301_1945791278_n.j

Tuddenham is brilliant / awful for snipers / victims. Delete as appropriate.

On the map, 18, 45 (near the Barn/combine) there are a few mounds which snipers can hide behind. 

There's a depression around 17, 40 that is quite a good strong hold, reasonably easy to hold. Difficult to take. 

The entire scrub/brushland is quite tricky - snipers will hide literally anywhere in there.

Attacking the village from the scrubland is nigh-on impossible. Have fun if they decide to do that ;)

Buiding 5 - 10, 45 and 10, 44 has a large open area to the west of it before buldings 6 and 7 - that can be tricky to assault over. 

Tuddenham is my very favouritest site ever. Tell Josh me and the Arnies lot sent you. :)

Played there a few times have we....??!!

EatTheGrass - expecting heavy resistance are you!!!!!!!!!!!

Run faster than they can track? Sprinting through arcs works, they spend their effort moving rifle barrels about trying to get a shot and boom.

Your mates got them with a shot of his own.

Or counter snipers.

Or napalm. (has that been suggested?... ;) )

Running doesn't always work. There's a guy at my site who can reach you at 50-60 yards consistently while you're running at full pelt.

He's put the hours in!

Played there a few times have we....??!!

EatTheGrass - expecting heavy resistance are you!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, once or twice... A month... For a few years... With a variety of weapons (short AK, pistols, M14, Skorpions, Dragunovs...)

I am even tempted to take up my idea of running a G-Spec at low end FPS, with irons and using it as a stalking carbine rather than a sniping weapon, something which can work very well in airsoft.

The G-spec doesn't have irons fitted to it. It is a fun way of playing though. I did it and just looked down the top of the rifle, at airsoft ranges, you aren't going to be off much. People do tend to get upset when you go and use it in buildings, they just see a boltie and assume it's high power. I actually had one guy try chinning me for shooting him with a stock g-spec,

If you want to take out a sniper (the 10% snipers, the others, a pistol will suffice)

You have to become one yourself... and be showered with bb's of shame in order to attain a certain level.

Archived