So, snipers....... HMMMMMMM...

Dacascos

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why expensive?? Its a round at a time!

As said above, getting the very most out of the rifle at the permitted energy output is the expensive part.

A bottle of .40g BB, while not exactly cheap compared to .20g, will last for ages.

But thats true of any weapon isnt it? I mean aearlier in this thread (or maybe another I read) it says its not all about the FPS or distance, its about taking the time and the patience for the shot.....

You could make point that upgrading to its limts an AEG is expensive but is the need really there beyond reliability to start with??

The G-spec doesn't have irons fitted to it.

You don't say :rolleyes::P.

But then I see what you mean by others assuming it is going to be hot. For me I want it so I can deliver very quiet shots from an easy to cock gun. I find that the cost to get a good, high end sniper is not worth it for most of the sites near me as the games and the layout of the sites tend to be less forgiving when it comes to MEDs and good fields of fire. Plus it is a cheap way to run as I won't be using much ammo and it is powered by me.

But thats true of any weapon isnt it? I mean aearlier in this thread (or maybe another I read) it says its not all about the FPS or distance, its about taking the time and the patience for the shot.....

Sniping, as in doing it properly, is one of those things that seems to break the laws of being typical. In it, so long as you stay in limits, matching higher FPS to a tighter barrel and better sealed components with the right ammo can make all that difference as well as the quality of the shooter. But it is also very susceptible to the odd player that assumes that 450fps means that whatever they see in their scope is a hit, always. These players however are idiots no matter what gun you give them.

'FireKnife'

There is a need to upgrade with a sniper rifle.

I reckon I've spent over £700 on each rifle I tweaked, and countless hours testing and rebuilding.

It's a passion and a discipline you don't get with AEGs in my opinion.

Then there's the practice of stalking, patience, judging range and wind, the hours put into a gillie suit, and the myriad of kit you may or may not carry.

You can just buy an off the shelf Chinese bolty and start batting away in your jeans and trainers, but that gets old quickly.

It's an art you need a lot of effort and money to get even close to being good at :)

You can just buy an off the shelf Chinese bolty and start batting away in your jeans and trainers, but that gets old quickly.

"But in Call of Doody I can just press the left trigger, snap to them and then BOOM hedshot!"

But yes it is easily a slippery slope. Some of the most expensive non-Systema BS M4 guns I have seen are bolt actions that are tuned to hit and usualy I find them in the hands of those that know how to use them.

Still the odd moment where you get that one with all cash and no idea is hilarious. One didn't even dial his scope in at all, just put it on the gun.

'FireKnife'

700gbp on each rifles upgrades................ But once again we're falling into the addiction range not the just for fun (not that addiction isnt fun) but yes you can upgrade anything in any hobby to be more competitive or give the edge over someone else>

So to sum up, hey maybe I wont be purchasing on after all if all I will gain is rifle that needs upgrading straight away to be any use or to gain the skillset, AEG all I guess.....

Best thing to do is get a nice all-rounder AEG and see how you get on.

If after a year you've found that you spend more time laid on your front placing shots from a hidden position, then maybe give it a go.

Definitely don't jump headlong into sniping straight away though, that way lies disappointment. Seen it done all too many times.

airsoft snipers advantages are slightly improved range and accuracy, the disadvantages usually being lack of mobility and a slow rate of fire.

as an aeg user your advantages are the direct opposite of the sniper, bc you have a high rof and better mobilty (and usually weight of numbers) so it should be fairly obvious how to overcome these situations, use teamwork and greater mobility.

you can fire on the move, at multiple targets if neccessary. that is a bit more tricky for your opponant if they are using a bolt action and wearing a ghillie

there is a french guy called vavann i think on youtube who has some excellent videos on airsoft sniping, watch what he does and think of ways you could fuk him over ;p

par example

Seen it done all too many times.

About once a year at least for me. Too many people think it makes all the difference / keeps them out of harms way / is awesome / is easy to do etc.

AEGs really are the best start point for the first year of play at least. I had ten straight games in a row running a TM P90 back before I went all pistols at games and that was due to me realising that I just wanted to be even more compact and up close. Eventually you will find your ideal game and niche but it can take a fair bit of time for many players. Like me, can't really stand many woodland games but I do love a good CQB or indoor one.

'FireKnife'

Well I have the time and seems guys and girls from all grades here at work are getting interested so I think there will be a lot of games to be played and weapons to be tried!! Some here are dead set on ordering a sniper rifle and pistol, some with dreams of lmgs and some like me just content running round like an idiot getting shot at :D  each to their own hey!!

There's a good dozen of us wanting weapons and all have different tastes so that alone should give us some vairation and as we know each other stealing one anothers RIF's for an hour or two, or even an entire game wont be a problem

Most will let you borrow a rif at a site to try, unless they are a sniper. That rifle gets used by one person only.

I would lend someone my wife for the weekend before I let them use my rifle in a game and risk damaging something...

I would lend someone my wife for the weekend before I let them use my rifle in a game and risk damaging something...

I just told my wife this and she burst out laughing then glared and stated 'DONT YOU THINK YOU CAN SAY THE SAME' hahahaha she seemed pretty serious too!!

Most will let you borrow a rif at a site to try, unless they are a sniper. That rifle gets used by one person only.

True facts.

Don't want to hear about key parties.

As for snipers, fire and movement to flank. Move as quickly as possible and as widely apart so they can't traverse from one group to the other.

Snipers don't have magic range or a well tuned AEG. And once you get inside their MED it's fun time.

MED shmed.

I have a pistol with 5 mags, that will happily reach out to 40+ yards.

I've surprised many an AEG gunner with that who thought they had the advantage.

More than 2 though and you're generally *fruitcage*ed!

I don't always break cover!

Been stepped on more than I would like by search parties...

Edit, even when stepped on, I'm not always spotted, truefax.

Search party passes, shoot all 4 in the back and hide again. That was a good day!

Don't get me wrong, but you ppl sound like starters. I know style of play is different in UK, but have you not heard of team play? sniper to work with a spotter?  fire teams? leapfrogging? radio communication? hand gestures?

Team play is essential!!
Here we only play matches of one team against other teams. There is no "walk-in" players at all. A lone sniper in woods is not even an issue.

I've watched all off VaVAnN videos. He is a good in what he does, but his adversaries are not really brilliant. I think 80% of players here know to skirmish and team-play way better.  

As said, know your site. Ask yourself where would you hide, and 90% of time you can find other players in those places. Consider your approach if possible, don't walk in the open without cover. Don't stop if not behind cover. If you need to, run for a few meters. If cover is low, crawl. If you can go around and use safer approach do it. When you have your "sniper" pin-pointed to a certain area be sure everyone in your team knows this, use team-play to get him. If he does not want to move and be spotted his FOV is normally not so wide. Get someone to suppress the area, others to move/flank forward and cover each other. Or use someone behind good cover posing to lure his attention, and then flank him. A sniper scope on 3+ mag has only a few meters of view angle. If he is focusing his fire on a single person, you can basically advance toward him from like 10m on either side from his target. If he has a bolt-action sniper he will need at least 2-3s to cock it and re-aim. How many meters can you run in 3s? I hope enough to get any decent AEG in range or close.          

There is no "walk-in" players at all.      

That is probably why then. Here airsoft is made of scattered groups of people roughly assembled into two 'sides' and then sent to shoot each other.

This means you get a mix of play and the best amount of team work you get is usually between the small groups of players that know each other and even then it is fleeting. I still find that the rare occassion that I see a player being a proper sniper I usually either get into their MED if possible and see how they react or just ignore them and move around them as at the end of the day the range they have is not always that amazing and only locks down one area which is probably teaming with the enemy anyway given how players seem to behave in most games I have been to.

Saying that I do recall attending an urban site to find a player that had decided to cover a window with both a bolt action and a support weapon of some form with no plan of moving until he was taken out by being the last guy alive on his team. In that case we just left one or two players to distract him and the rest of us took on the other team.

'FireKnife'

Archived