So, snipers....... HMMMMMMM...

Dacascos

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

Isn't sniper more a state of mind and a style of play rather than something that can only be done with a bolt.

I have played games where the snipers ran parallel to the squad's movements providing observation some covering fire and warning us about ambushes and incoming assaults. I have also played games with area denial 'campers' who were just interested in the killcount.

I found the first type of sniper to look much more fun and as a player the information and breaking of ambushes was a godsend.

Area denial camping can be really useful but only in certain games. The fast paced nature of most games.mean that a sniper finding the perfect position waiting for that one kill could here end ex before the fired shot.

I one day when I have every other gun I want want to get something running around 320 and do some accuracy tweaks. Trying to build something that doesn't have the med restriction and use it as a brush gun and play as a scout. Take a shot then move position and just keep moving. I'd love to do it in a close in urban site. Something like the urban street to street hostage rescue challenge of mw3. Working in support of a team, providing Intel to make the group more effective.

Do you experienced guys think that will work?

I intend on running a SPR like that, ~330 fps and tuned for range and accuracy as much as I can. Then running a relatively light recon load.

But I've already got a .338 to work on and I will have a decent EBR one day which will be higher FPS and locked.

True, much recon in the typical skirmish isn't really needed when both teams just get funnelled into predictable avenues of fire.

Though I have found that if a site gives you more free reign it can be helpful and fun, however it also requires people to listen to the info you have to say and often that is ignored, even if it will stop them getting hit / lead to that extra 'hit' on the opposition that they seem to crave.

'FireKnife'

^ of course it is

9/10 games are not milsims let alone 3 day+ ones where recon is a relevant concept. Call it as I see it!

That depends on what you want. There are plenty of milsim-only teams. Teams who only do long milsims, teams who only do scenario/"realistic" events, and teams who only do highcap sunday skirmish. People will participate in the events that fit them.

People will participate in the events that fit them.

Not always the case over here, sometimes it is more 'will attend the best of what is available / I can get to'.

If a person is a milsim only events kind of person in the UK it depends where they live as to how many events they will have a chance to attend if they don't travel so far afield. It does mean you end up with a lot of mixed players at the average sunday game, some with their high-caps and DPM overalls mixed in with the players in full kit with exactly the right number of mid-caps and semi auto discipline.

As for me I would like more scenraio / event / RPG / police over military games but they are rare round here so I just attend what I can.

'FireKnife'

At a reasonably large site, particularly a good woodland site, a good sniper will always be a hard target to deal with. Luckily most people who attempt sniping suck but that's the point, it's a difficult, skillful role that can have a big impact on the game. Most games don't really work for snipers but with enough time, space and concealment opportunities they can be a big problem (or huge asset, if they're on your side). I guess with a good sniper you have two options, either avoid them or quickly assault and eliminate them. Both require good team communication and coordination (as much as anything a good sniper will be adept at sewing confusion and chaos in the enemy ranks). With option one, you need to work out approximately where they are, communicate that to everyone, withdraw from the area and re-plan what you were trying to do. Should that not be an option you need to work out how to destroy the sniper quickly and efficiently, snipers will be trying to delay your team as much as destroy your team. Again, you will need to communicate what's going on and work out approximately where the sniper is then organize an assault. You want to fire and maneuver, trying to close the distance so the sniper is either discovered and destroyed or simply flees the area. You want to play on the sniper's disadvantages here, so, they may find withdrawing difficult, they probably have a MED that you want to get inside, they are likely on their own or in a small group (though there is also the possibility they're trying to lure you into a larger ambush), they may well be experiencing tunnel vision looking down a scope and they probably can't fire all that rapidly so suddenly being presented with a large number of mobile, aggressive opponents will be quite confusing for them. Whenever I've come up against a good sniper it's always been a good, coordinated assault that's destroyed them. If you have a good sniper on your team you can also go down the counter sniper/ sniper duel option but that's probably far more time consuming. All this is typically in the context of a MilSim type game though you might encounter such at a larger skirmish site that runs longer games.

Archived