Anyone else lift as a hobby? (no crossfitters allowed)

Dacascos

Forum seems a little quiet today and as I have a day off work today I was just planning out my day and when to go lift, especially as Monday is universal chest day, as I dont have to leave it till after work when the gyms full!!

As such it crossed my mind that maybe there must be other guys/girls lift on here and this is the off topic section hahaha though if you want to run round with a minigun you gotta have the guns first ;)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you even lift bro?

The 'New Years Resolution' thread in this sub-forum has a fair bit about it..

Short answer, yup. I lift. Following ABCX at the moment with A - Stability (shoulders, snatch, core). B - Pull (deadlifts, rows and pullups) C- Push (squats, presses and dips)

I dislocated my shoulder skiing last winter so don't bench, it's a horrible exercise, so subbed it for fly/chest press super sets. Cardio is for the mornings before work, and I do a fair bit of tabbing mostly for relaxation.

Not a fan of Mondays as chest day, then back on wednesday and by friday people can't be arsed and they all have tiny legs.

yup like a fair amount of young men I "hit the gym". I refuse to call it "training"!

Did a strongman comp years ago now which was good fun. Dabbled with olympic lifting but the club I was going to changed their schedule :(

I half-*albartroth* alot more then I used to I'm afraid to say. I hit my peak in 2011 - at the time I had just finished uni so was living back at home with friends few and far between, so the choice was the gym or spending the evening with my parents. I go to the gym and that but looking at the app I use to log my stuff - I've barely made progress in the last 6 months and I'm averaging about 1.5 times a week rather then 3x :(  On the plus side I'm arguably a happier person - self-loathing was a great motivation.

I was one double muscle groups 6 days a week, 3 day rotation (chest bi's, back shoulders, legs tri's) till I blew my elbows and shoulder :(   236 at 14% bodyfat at my biggest and still out ran most my troops n the 12.7mile Tough Mudder courrse hahahaha

I have small leg issues I'm afraid, wednesday and saturdays are heavy leg days but they dont grow!!  3 plates for rear squats, two on front these days and 1100lb for leg press and those are for sets not one rep idiot reps!!!

I still hit my cardio to keep the fat off from heavy intake and a little rucck here and there for fun but most troops these days just dont want to train, if they get an 85% on test they''re happy which is just sad!

If you mean the sport of weightlifting in accordance with IWF, then yes, I lift...but now mostly for exercise. I wouldn't call myself an athlete (I never went beyond local/regional level) and wouldn't call it a hobby (I spend more time watching TV). I usually compete in 62, but had to go up to 69 for my last meet and now having more  and more problems with heavy weights that I had no problems with in the past (I'm 41 now).

I personally would NEVER participate in or recommend cross-fit to anyone, but I don't understand the hatred for it (I "hate" racists, Nazis, dentists, etc. but a group exercise?). In my opinion, it's just like any other exercise and if it works for someone, then more power to them.

I was a fairly avid weightlifter, but when my job became more travel intensive and my time in the gym tapered off I fell out of shape quickly.  My overall fitness level was far better after I did a basic twelve week challenge (half cardio, half moderate lifting).  

As for crossfit--I wasn't aware of any internet consensus at the time, but my friends who were into that sort of workout were stereotypically annoying with the facebook posts and bugging me to go to their mud runs and such.

Oh competeing I dont have the money nor time to push it to that limit. Mine is as much vanity as it is for my health, I mean do I want to be healthy.. yes but do I want to look good naked bigger yes hahahaha

I have a few friends that compete up to Universe level, Fisher had the titel twice I believe, couple at national NABBA and one of the guys I 'worked' with just recently won bodyzone, so in short see that as they're friends as long as they keep on very oversize baggy clothes and dont stand too close hahaha

Crossfit I just cant stand, its like taking a perfectly good exercise with technique based upon the mechanics of the body then throwing that all out the window and just lift it however you can disreguard safety or injury but look an idiot to anyone that knows better.... just my 2cents on the subject

Tomorrow is my big day though as I get to push a little heavier. My very swollen ligaments in my elbows have gone down and only seen very light weight for a while so tomorrow is back and we're going to jack the weights just a little and see what happens, make or break I guess

Lifting competition under IWF is actually VERY cheap and depending on your experience, strength, etc. takes very little time. In my case, I have a pair of lifting shoes (about $150 that last about 3 or 4 years), annual membership to USAW ($40), and a membership to a USAW certified lifting club ($50/month). A local competition usually costs anywhere from $40 to $70...as long as you belong to a club, anyone from beginner to International Elite can enter at that level. I've lifted with guys who been to and medal-ed at Worlds (Olympics), guys who just hang out at the gym, guys who never lifted in their entire lives, etc.

I'm currently on a 12 week cycle...each day I will not do more than 18 to 20 lifts (between 65% and 80%) which takes about 30 to 45 minutes and then some form of a squat complex which usually takes about 15 minuets. Again, at my level, I lift 5 days/week and each week, I hit maybe three or four heavy singles (over 80%). If an body builder or "curl-bro" see's my program, he/she will probably laugh at me.

I think any form of exercise, weather it be for heath, vanity, etc. is good. Where it can get problematic is when people attempt exercises without proper supervision or coaching and increases likelihood of hurting yourself or others.

I started lifting recently, but I wouldnt call it a hobby. I don't go to the gym, I only use the weights I have at home (not much to be honest). My only goal is to be stronger and be able to at least lift myself. I bike and run to lose weight and lift to get stronger. I weigh about 260lbs and I can't do a pull up. I can barely do pushups (I couldn't before I started though).

I don't have a scedual either, I just do everything I know 4 days a week, as long as I have time.

What lifts are generally reccommended for a noob such as me?

I started lifting recently, but I wouldnt call it a hobby. I don't go to the gym, I only use the weights I have at home (not much to be honest). My only goal is to be stronger and be able to at least lift myself. I bike and run to lose weight and lift to get stronger. I weigh about 260lbs and I can't do a pull up. I can barely do pushups (I couldn't before I started though).

I don't have a scedual either, I just do everything I know 4 days a week, as long as I have time.

It's hard, at least for me, to quantify "strength". I can easily snatch my body weight, but I can't properly strict press it. Does that make me weak?

Do you associate strength with the ability to do a pull up (that's fine if it is...it's good to have goals)? If so, you might not even have to do any lifting (e.g. if you want to be able to make the world's finest hamburger, there's no point on practicing by making tuna sandwiches every day...you practice making hamburgers every day).

Maybe just Google "how to do a pull up" and I'm sure someone who's much more qualified than us can help you get there.

BabaBooey - Lifting isnt 'cheap' the way my BIG friends do it!!!

My routine at the moment is so so light given my injuries, not quite sure how I got them but I do andf its been really like and really rgimented actions of late UNTILL TODAY WHOOP!

Going to the gym will be a far better way to do it for overall 'strength' whatever your discipline type is. Don't get disheartened just keep pushing on everyone started somewhere, me I was 170lbs and 6'2" so uber skinny, my friend big andy was the exact opposite but is now the size of a house.

First and foremost dude get a routine, consistancey is the most important part of health period but also rememeber bodies are built in the kitchen, 80% of getting fit, healthy and strong is done in the kitchen.
in my opinion, you need to set days for each muscle group Horsem4n if you want to get the most out of it, you ahve the will power to train so now you just have to get the routine into it. Personally if you're running four day week I'd do one day on chest and biceps, next back and shoulders, next legs and triceps and day four would be solidly core work. Throw your cycling in etc and a good diet and you'll see the weight and strength move well.
When I traina nd train others I always say to be truthful to yourself, take a photo of yourself in underwear front and sides but an honest one, then again at the end of week two then again at the end of week four then compare the first and last pictures, this is usually enough to really keep that motivation going!

Thanks for the advice. I am 6'2" and an endomorph. Ill probably never weigh less than 210 pounds. I never really ate that bad but I have cut out a lot of sugar in my diet and drink a lot more water than I used to since june.

But yeah, ill make a routine. focusing on certain muscle groupes for 45 minutes makes a lot more sense than doing all the lifts for 45 minutes.

One other thing though. I have to lift outside. Its going to be crowded in my house until january. Is it bad to lift like this in the cold?

Its already getting down to the 40s at the coldest parts of the day, but it hasn't been stopping me. don't notice it after I warm up.

Ok so each muscle group should be made up of a minimum of 4 lifts, each lift plit into 4 sets and each set (at start) should be made up of 12 reps. Weight increases on each set. Make sense??

As you're a beginer stick with the basics for exercises, bench deadlifts squats etc, I dont know what you do and dont know so I'm not going to list out and make you feel i'm teaching you to suck eggs.

You're the same height as me and never think a body type cannot be altered it always can with simply will power and knowledge. Simple rules like drinking 5 litres a day, rememebering that protein takes twice the calories to burn than carbs do, ALWAYS eat a high protein breakfast, dont eat after 1830-1900 each day and eat little and often throughout the day to keep the metabolism burning!!
Personally I eat 4 small meals a day then dinner at night, do breakfast at about 0620, meal at 0920, lunch 1200, another meal at 1415 then dinner about 1800.

Its not bad to lift in the cold as the air is dense so you can oxygenate easier BUT your body will be cold so you will be more lethargic and bloodflow will be lighter. Plus theres the mental asspect of having to work in the cold....   I really would join a gym

Thanks for the advice. I am 6'2" and an endomorph. Ill probably never weigh less than 210 pounds. 

No such thing... when the concentration camps were liberated nobody was hanging around the 200lbs mark going "I'm an endomorph" or "its glandular" etc.. lifting outside with a warm up beforehand is fine.

Must admit I disagree with body part splits... if you are doing a "chest and bis" once a week then you are doing exactly that - you could be doing them 3x a week, but whatever, who cares. 

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program

http://archive.4chon.net/edu/20963/src_Starting%20Strength%20-%20Rippetoe,%20Mark.pdf - read this

I don't yet have the money to join a gym. I am working with a airsift field that is less than a year old, so I'm making less than minimum (enough to pay bills) to maximize the budget for field supplies. When we complete the field and things turn up, ill be able to join a gym. I'm just trying to make due for now.

I'm just tired of being ignored by the women I find attractive. I have already changed my wardrobe and started manscaping properly. Now I just have to gain some visible muscle and lose some body fat.

As sad as it is though, I am already in the best shape of my entire life.

Just keep at it mate. If you can't afford a gym, scrounge together things as a substitute. Go to your local farm and ask them for an old tractor tyre they have lying around and then flip it (look online for correct form). Fill 5 gallon jerry cans with water and use them for farmers walks and shrugs. Fill a surplus overseas bag with clothes and use that, fill gallon water jugs with handles and use them as weights for shoulder exercises or even arm exercises.

Look at bodyweight exercises like you have been doing, and just keep at it. You will eventually get there and be able to knock out decent sets, as long as you keep at it.

Etc. etc.

They aren't ideal, but they can help if you can't access a gym.

Training will definately help you with the female thing!

I know you say the house is going to be busy but if you can find just 45 mins a day indoors with a tv then "insanity' is the BEST way to drop weight and build a little without doubt. I know you said money is tight but you can usually find someone or a friend of a friend with a copy or search the internet for a download

If you just want to lose weight I wouldn't get too hung up on what exercises you can and can't do - diet is most important. There's a load of *suitcase* out there on how to lose weight and lots of conflicting information but IMO the best way to start is with calorie counting (so you get a feel for what exactly it is you are eating) - reducing carbs is a good way to start. Azubi has some good ideas - I got a 180kg truck tyre from a scrap yard as it costs them ££ to dispose of it. I did have my dad's van to assist me so YMMV. 

As for women... yes it helps - not into bragging about this *suitcase* on the internet but my "full success rate" has increased dramatically... arguably though this is to do with confidence rather then "body composition" - women pick up on this *suitcase* I dunno how but there you have it. 

With your diet searcha  calculator for your macros, as you need to correctly count your calories for your lean mass NOT your current mass. The easiest way to calculate your bodyfat percentage if you've no access to a machine is measure your neck in inches then your waist (be totally honest with yourself) in inches, the difference is bodyfat percentage (approximately) which when removed from your total weight will give you your lean weight ;)

As for crossfit - an ex of mine has been an avid crossfitter for years, she can clean and press her own bodyweight, with solid form.

Don't know many women that can do that personally.. Her coach is excellent, and they have a number of Olympians on their books - the bad press you hear are from untrained, borderline uneducated crossfitters going for PBs with no control. I don't like kipping pullups though, they look .

I did either Elizabeth, Diane or Fran every morning before work for six months with 20 minutes on the bike. Strict form and nothing but the projected weight (USMC Lt I was training with would do the workout twice with double weight, he was a giant). In addition to my heavy lifts in the evening I maxed out at a 220kg deadlift, which i've never come close to. I can only put this down to three massive cooked meals every day.

Cardio suffered, struggled to run 1.5 miles sub 1030 mins when I tried again.

/Crossfit is alright in moderation near rant.

Archived