Anyone else lift as a hobby? (no crossfitters allowed)

Dacascos

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting back into lifting, starting off with the 5x5 program. Got a skinny mate along to get him started, but there is quite a bit of work to be done.

Mainly squats, presses and rows for the moment. I'd like to be able to C&J but it terrifies me because I'm convinced I'll drop the *bramston pickle* thing onto a pile of orphan puppies or my own face.

I'd like to be able to C&J but it terrifies me because I'm convinced I'll drop the *bramston pickle* thing onto a pile of orphan puppies or my own face.

As long as you have a good coach, it's extremely unlikely you will get injured like that (e.g. loosing control of a loaded barbell overhead). Not impossible, but with proper training, equipment, and supervision, the likelihood of serious injury from a heavy snatch or jerk is just as high/low as any equivalent sport. Also, the fact that you have already convinced yourself that you will be hurt doesn't help.

A freak accident is on my mind, but I have done everything in my power to avoid it.

So I did some lunges and squat jumps after a sprint session on Saturday.

As I cleaned the bar to start lunge-walking across the hall I got major, major head rush and my music went Gnnngnrng, burrrr, gnrrr and I thought I was gunna pass out.

Felt amazing afterwards though, like mini high and still finished the set.. What was it? Did I have an aneurysm or a mini stroke?!..

So I did some lunges and squat jumps after a sprint session on Saturday.

As I cleaned the bar to start lunge-walking across the hall I got major, major head rush and my music went Gnnngnrng, burrrr, gnrrr and I thought I was gunna pass out.

Felt amazing afterwards though, like mini high and still finished the set.. What was it? Did I have an aneurysm or a mini stroke?!..

It actually happens often…I’ve seen people completely pass out before the jerk. I was told that it’s usually pressure on the carotid arteries causing a loss of blood flow into your head. Have someone check your form. Or, as you begin to stand from the catch, try releasing air slowly as you stand up, but still enough to keep your trunk pressurized to keep neutral back.

In my opinion, you should completely bail on the lift if you start to feel light headed at any point – unless you're setting records, there’s no sense on trying to save bad lifts.

Ideally, take the bar from a stand and hold it across your back. If you absolutely have no choice, clean less weight, press it overhead, and then lower the bar across your back.

If you absolutely have no choice, clean less weight, press it overhead, and then lower the bar across your back.

Empty circuit training room. Carried the bar and weights in, made up my 80kg and clean and pressed. Weight on the back and then it hit me.

Stood still til it was all alright and started lunge walking.

^ reminded me of something I had - not the same at all but similar ; I don't do lunges cause I quite quickly get pins and needles in my arms which isn't comfortable. Likewise when I use the rowing machine (a concept 2) I get quite bad pins and needles in my right leg, which has gotten better but is still annoying. any thoughts?

Just gone up from 1 set of 12 reps at 65% SRM to 3 sets of 24 reps at 60%.

Had to drop the weights down on two of the exercises.

I am in a great deal of (non-injury) pain, I can't bend over to pick anything up.

All I did was Leg-Pull, Bike Squats, Calf Press, Single Leg Squat, Lunge.  I am ruined, I skipped my rides yesterday and today to recover.
I will probably drop the weights on all the exercises so I can keep up the riding.

A-Stunt - I'd suggest going to see a sports therapist - you might have some tightness in your legs/back that's preventing ROM. Sports massage would sort you right out, and the added bonus of a potential female having a go.

Skarclaw - that's pressure on the shoulders. You'll be compressing a vein or artery and that'll cause pins and needles.Try adjusting the bar position. As for the pins and needles in the leg.. as it's two completely different limbs and no pressure it seems to be a blood flow problem. Have a check of your blood pressure and all that at a doc.

Ramping up my shoulder presses yesterday, 5 sets of 5 reps at 80% 1RM and today I can barely lift my arms.

So naturally there have been several massive temper tantrums from students at work which required me to step in to restrain psychotic teenagers and stop them from murdering someone. Woooooo

Calves still sore but only my usual post phys sore.

That's 4 days now.  I must be getting old.

I got in a roller session the other day and a turbo session today so my legs are feeling a bit better.

I'm back in the gym tomorrow at 0545 and hopefully won't take the .

Archived