PS4 or XBox1, your choices?

Dacascos

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recall having this conversation at work and it got on to 80s classic games.

Then along comes one of the Glaswegians who works for us and pointed out that £2 bought a can of Ralgex and a paper bag and then you could see all the aliens to shoot at that you wanted.

Thankfully we now have better games to play :P. Also just buy a PC, it will stop people going on about them :).

'FireKnife'

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been a console, PC and handheld gamer for most of my life. Have a large retro console collection, mostly Neo Geo AES and Dreamcast. I also have a gaming PC.

Bought a PS4 pre-order as I needed to play the new Killzone.

Completed it a couple of times in the next few days, great. Happy.

A week later, PS4 bricked. Sony no help at all, even though it was a known issue, they wanted to replace with a 'refurbished' console.

Told them to shove it.

Called Amazon, who took it back and sent me a brand new one.

Three weeks later, that one bricked. Entirely different known issue.

Rang Sony, swore profusely at them.

Called Amazon, they took it back again, with all the games, and refunded me.

Bought a Wii U. Wanted to play Mario Kart 8, and as I have a young son I appreciate the family friendly atmosphere, ease of use, and parental controls. It's a great machine.

Wanted an Xbox 1, but they were having disc drive issues at the time. Might pick one up when the prices come down/I have money.

To the console snobs: RTS much?

To the PC nerds: Loading... BSOD

Ben

I must admit, my only enduring console at the moment is a 2DS.

I have always had something handheld, something that just flat out worked when I needed it to and could be taken places.

Plus all the games on my handheld have about 30-50hrs of gameplay each on them, I have just put so much into them compared to console games which get like 10-15 at best.

For me I am rather tempted by the Wii U bundles that are coming out, mostly so I can get Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors and Super Smash and that is it, all I will probably ever need :P.

'FireKnife'

MK8 is a masterpiece.

Never played a game that was so infuriating but so fun at the same time, all while looking fantastic in full 1080p HD @ 60 FPS.

The new DLC is great too - some classic tracks, karts and racers, with plenty of new content.

My son can finish a grand prix now, using a Wii Wheel... 12th place, in 50cc mind, but he's only 3 years old.

I have a 3DS and enjoy playing Ocarina of Time again and again.

I'm a huge Total War fan, so my PC is almost exclusively used for Shogun 2.

I'd say that even though the PS4 is technically more capable, the XB1 delivers the superior experience, with great exclusives and social features.

If you have a family, though, the Wii U is what you want.

Ben

Had an xboxone and traded it for a playstation4. The xboxone would mess up when trying to load a blu-ray (yes the app was up to date, it was happening after a month of use and that was because I hadn't watched many movies on it up to that point), it would say there wasn't a disc loaded or that I needed to load a disc (DVD, game disc or blu-ray). Put a DVD in, let it load up to the menu, eject said dvd then insert the blu-ray again and it would work. But not all the time. It got to the point that I would avoid putting a movie on (unless it was a DVD).

I wouldn't recommend the xboxone if you wanted to watch blu-rays, but it's fine for games. The playstation is catching up with regards to the social media side but that doesn't bother me. I've used YouTube on both and it's the same on both.

I say go with the Playstation 4.

Yep. The system is rather good so if you take it out and it can see a matching game and player in your area it does a handshake with them.

It is quite good if you have a popular multi-player game like Super Smash bros or Mario Kart but beyond that it isn't as useful. Still the Mii Plaza stuff is good if you are wandering about and the fact it can do things like load ghost data from Mario Kart to your console so you can challenge other peoples times is pretty cool too.

It is not the best thing ever but it has some huge advantages. Plus unlike PS4 and XBone where you have two big competitors, with the handhelds you only really have the Vita and that is *suitcase*. More likely to find people to play against overall.

'FireKnife'

Archived