PS4 or XBox1, your choices?

Dacascos

So I've always been with playstation since 1996 when the first was released and yes unlike most i know I was way into double figures at the time lol, but I divulge, so my PS3 has been wurring a lot lately the fan never quite seeming to turn off and the lag is getting bigger and its just not as fast to process aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanything as it used too. So now has come the time where I must look to upgrade and start that stack of time and life consuming games once again.

However this time I am wondering, as blasphemous as it sounds, or should I say considering the the XBox1. Never really thought about it as PlayStation has always been leaps ahead tech wise but apparently so my kids at work tell me the playing field has become equal and it may be time to consider the enemy lol

Now I'm not some great gamer that spends his life staring at a screen nor one that takes two days leave when a big game is released or refuses to leave the confines of his mothers basement when its double XP weekend - because in truth my wife wouldn't let me :( - but I do want a good system I can enjoy and play regardlessly so whats the word? They''re about the same price and COD is released very shortly so is it worth swapping or should I stay with PlayStation?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always been a XBOX kid and went PS4 due to most of my mates being that way inclined. A shame as I really miss having Forza (not that crappy Forza Horizon stuff, proper racing) but in general I think it was totally worth it. It's a nice console to play on, no lag or waiting around, controller is very comfortable, comfier than the New XBOX one IMO. But the fan can be pretty loud during gaming but I never notice it to be honest!

If I were you I'd stick with my roots and go PS4, the games are on par pretty much and the console is basically the same performance wise so it should be a no brainer to be honest!

I would say neither at the moment, wait for them to drop in price in a year or two and spend that time playing all the games you never got round to on your current console or getting a cheaper alternative of the same generation (so a 360 in this case) and playing off the exclusives.

Unless it is a case of 'all the mates I play with have a PS4 / XBone' do you really need to lump £329.99 on a new console?

I must admit I am still playing my way through all the PS3 games I missed as I went 360 as they were cheaper and easier to maintain while being more compatible with Windows systems. Saying that I have a retro streak too which a lot of people don't get (spent the summer of 2013 in Scaberdeen playing the first three original Tomb Raiders back to back for the first time in my life) and that helps keep old games fresh.

'FireKnife'

I have all the things and still spend most of my time on my PC.

of the 2 you are looking at though, I enjoy my PS4 better, but onlu because of the controller. The new Dualshock controller is the best feeling gamepad I have held. I used to hate dualshocks, but the slight changes in grip angle, shape, and shoulder button size make it perfect. I do still like the xbone gamepad, but I have to shift my palms to reach the bumpers comfortably. With the dualshock 4, I can comfortably reach all the buttons without shifting my grip.

Other than that, I have been a fan of killzone since the first one on the PS2, so that's the reason I picked up the ps4 to begin with. The controller was a good surprise.

I have not spent more than an hour playing my xbone. I had BF4 for both and stuck with the PS4 version purely because of the controller. I never played titanfall, but I did buy a copy for the pc.

See I just cant do PC, age time, I rememeber having to use different keys to go left and right and then others for this that or the other on the keypad and that albeit twenty years ago put me off for life I guess hahaha

I dont really want to be speding the money with christmas and Halloween so close BUT really have to make a decisison as that thing is not going to last!! In fairness it was bought 5 months after PS3 was released soo its really earnt its keep!
As for theold games, I'm a stickler, I dont get a new game untill the last is copleted!! Even when the wife pics up a couple at once for me I'll oolay my way tthrough them till complete. Killzone is cool as!!!

Biggest game I'm waiting on apart from the new COD is the new Skyrim!

Xbox because im loyal to them now. Also Halo (which I love, and couldnt care less what is said) is on Xbox :D. I also HATE PS controllers with a passion, such an old design and feel like they are build for kids hands, the lack of a proper 'trigger' also annoys me. 

Kinect is a bit gimmicky but I do use it , plus its fun to use when people come round all the ooooss and ahhhs of voice control lol

Also just generally preferred the Xbox dashboard over PS, a nice feature with the Xbox recently is Smart Glass very useful indeed. 

Every one always says PC but at the end of the day I buy a console it gets after a while it gets pushed to its absolute limit. Just look at the difference between Perfect Dark Zero and Halo 4. Its also one lump purchase and its done. PC is building the bloody thing and then after 2 months its outdated, 2 years may struggle to play recent games. I also hate keyboard and mouse, even as an ex PC gamer. 

Disagree about the PC being outdated within a few months.  Sure outdated in terms of what you can do on PC sure, but not console. It's like saying there's no point in buying a 2013 M3 as there's a new one coming out in 2014.  They're both still amazing.  I generally upgrade my PC every couple of couple of years.  I think I've had my current setup for a year or so. Since then I've been playing games in 1080p over 100fps.  Xbone and PS4 can barely cope with 60fps.

100% what hitman said.  To build on his M3 analogy: consoles are like getting a Harley because sport bikes are constantly trumped by the newest top-of-the-line model, despite the worst sportbike outperforming the best Harley.  

I happened to build my first game-capable PC around the same time all my friends were getting PS3s and 360s, and with no hardware changes was able to play every new game at maxed settings until recently.  My modest new system (cheaper than the first, since I was able to keep the case, power supply, and hard drives) beats modern consoles by a wide margin.  

I was a diehard console snob since the NES, but this guide does a pretty good job explaining why they aren't such a good idea anymore.  

I'm just very much not a PC kind of guy hence the title!!  Though the M3 analagy iss perfect, I knew tthe moment I walked through those doors with my new iPhone 6 Plus and made it 10 yards down the street that the thing was out off date hahaha but you cant buy from the future only the now

What Hitman said as well, my latest PC build is just coming to a year old now and is probably good for another 2-3 years.

But I have to admit, building a decent rig that will last 3-4 years does involve a sizeable initial investment.

I will be getting a PS4 towards December as mate has been pestering me to play Destiny with him.

My all time favourite console has to be Dreamcast, I loved that thing with a passion. 

My all time favourite console has to be Dreamcast, I loved that thing with a passion. 

I must admit it was an awesome console, just fell in at the wrong time with hardware that was great but not the way it was planned to go.

I personally am still a fan of the first Playstation as it was the console I grew up with and always seemed to work. Plus it had some games that would take me ages to complete and are still fun to this day, no 75% of the game taken up by half-baked online multiplayer.

'FireKnife'

My favourite if anyone remembers it, was the jaguar 64 there was an aliens vs preditor game, (possibly the first) which gave me such nightmares it was awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Think one of the earliest I rememmber (apart from the atari 2600)  is the Spectrum 48k, oh my god loading games from a tape recorder hahahahaha. Come on show your age, who else remembers doing that??

My favourite if anyone remembers it, was the jaguar 64 there was an aliens vs preditor game, (possibly the first) which gave me such nightmares it was awesome!!!!!!!!!! Think one of the earliest I rememmber (apart from the atari 2600)  is the Spectrum 48k, oh my god loading games from a tape recorder hahahahaha. Come on show your age, who else remembers doing that??

Yip, commadore 64 was my choice back then.

I have a lot of love for the GC.  So many awesome games on that.  A lot of people disregard it, but it's an amazing console.

It was, had some cracking first party games like Super Smash Bros and the updated Resi's. Tempted to get a Wii as they are cheap and can take GC games and controllers while still allowing me to play the likes of SSB Brawl, MK for Wii and the Mario Galaxies.

'FireKnife'

Hahahaha oh I forgot about that one!!!!!!! didnt it have the inbuilt tape player?

wasnt that the Amstrad CPC464 ? I had the cheapo green screen version.

but in answer to your original question XBOX1 Halo Masterchief collection... nuff said lol

The worst was spending 45 mins listening to a tape screetching like manical Banshee only to find it had crashed and you had to sit there and go through the whole process again! Oh how the world changes I get annoyed waiting 30 seconds for something to load/connect to the internet these days!!!

Especially when you had to find the gap in that screaching to reload it from........ :o

kids today have no idea how easy they have it or modern graphics I mean WOW, everytime a new game comes out I am still amazed at the programing abilities these days is just phenominal to me how people can make it that real but I still hear the kids at work complaining about its nt quite right here or there or theres a stupid glitch in this section and I'm still all like "wooooooooooh look how pretty the colours are"

Never had tape, had 5.25 floppies though

First ever computer was the Apple II.

Then had a BBC Micro.

Graduated to Atari ST.

First  PC was a Gateway Pentium with 8MB EDO RAM  :D

I then went through pretty much all the 1st gen UK indie brands (Carrera, Dan, Mesh, Evesham, Amari) 

After that (late 90's probably) started building all my own rigs.

I learned BASIC on a CoCo3; they didn't come with a disk drive so if you turned it off everything was gone.  I'd spend a whole morning trying to write a simple game only to lose it all if my sister wanted to play Tetris.  I eventually got the cable to hook it up to an audio cassette deck, but loading the program never worked.  

For gaming, we used my uncle's old Colecovision until the 90's when our parents finally sprung for the NES.  That was a great machine, despite the weird controllers.  

But for the OP; I get that you're not a PC guy and I wasn't either, even before the tablet and smartphone days when a desktop was more essential.  But modern consoles are really nothing more than a vehicle to make you overpay for games that run at lower framerates and/or resolutions.  Build a living room gaming PC, hook up whatever controllers or sticks you want, and let your friends wonder why everything looks so much better on your screen than it does on theirs.  

Almost forgot the biggest argument for the PC: I haven't spent a penny on a bad game since 2006.  I shudder to think of all the money I wasted on console titles over the years.

Archived