PS4 or XBox1, your choices?

Dacascos

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or you could go old school, get a low end PC for next to nothing and fill it full of emulators and classic games.

Then get a little CRT monitor that you can link it up to and start playing classic games.

I might have to go do this myself with some Mega Drive and SNES games.

'FireKnife'

Short answer, it will just work. You can plug a computer into a TV and use it as a screen.

A CRT is a cathode ray tube, i.e. one of the big old non-flatscreen TVs/monitors. An emulator is a piece of software that pretends to be a particular piece of hardware, like a PS2 or a SNES, allowing you to play games designed for old consoles on a more modern machine.

I'm guessing that's not what you're after. 

As Stuey said it is a way to play classic games (many of which are rare or expensive now) in a classic style.

While innovation is still going on it is the leaps and bounds of the mid 80s to about the very early 2000s were you get some huge changes. In a couple of years you went from Sonic 3 to Crash Bandicoot, a whole new plain of existence.

Nowadays a lot of games have just become clones of each other as few ideas are truly original and sometimes the original ones just disappear or are not considered good at all. This is back when games had to innovate to grab the crowds, they had to offer something better than the next in everyway as making a game wasn't as cheap as it is nowadays. It's a bit like comparing shooting on film to shooting on digital video / hard drives, film was more expensive and thus you had to put more time and effort in to make it look better and be distinct, digital video is much easier and can lead to new innovations but it also leads to every man and his dog being able to film stuff and you end up with carbon copies of just about everything and it gets dull.

Anyway, as for the original post well get what your mates have if you want to play games with them. If you plan to play alone wait for the consoles to drop in price.

'FireKnife'

If you do decide to try emulation it is very easy for some systems and much of the work has been done for you.

But that is if you want to try older games that you are very unlikely to see anymore, even on Virtual Consoles offered by the likes of Sony and Nintendo.

Or it might make you realise that you don't like those games anymore :P.

'FireKnife'

Did you at least skim the guide I posted? A PC is not necessarily more expensive than a console, and you'll make up any difference in games savings easily.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/builds#wiki_the_next-gen_crusher

I love emulators, especially MAME for occasionally reliving the golden age of the arcade. I recently installed PPSSPP to play the remake of Thexder and Dolphin for Mario Kart Arcade GP 2; both worked perfectly with an Xbox controller.

Edit: this is probably more relevant for you: http://www.reddit.com/r/CabaloftheBuildsmiths/wiki/ukbuilds

Did you at least skim the guide I posted? A PC is not necessarily more expensive than a console, and you'll make up any difference in games savings easily.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/builds#wiki_the_next-gen_crusher

Government computers at work dude which means most links dont work!! home now though so will take a peek yes

Big, new PS4 games are looking at £55+, it's only the occasional new CoD release or EA gouge that would dare push the price of a PC release up to £40 (and I'd wager many will not pay that price).  I spent £1700 on this complete rig (inc speakers and monitor) over 5 years ago and with about £250 in upgrades it still makes everything look great.  I have also bought a lot of games in those 5 years.  Not even going to get in to Steam sales.

Would've absolutely, definitely, certainly picked up a PS4 to replace my 3 if MGS5 was a PS exclusive... buuuut it's not.  I work with a couple of guys who snapped up PS4s on release and all they primarily to say is that the serious lack of game selection makes them regret the purchase.  Though the XB1 looks even worse all around that's for sure.

Not to beat a dead horse, but none of the enthusiast PC stuff ($2000+ machines, multiple or ultra resolution monitors, solid state drives) are necessary if you just want a box in your living room that plays the latest games.  We just buy it because a lot of it represents good performance for the money, and because we can.  You can build a PC for roughly the same cost that outperforms current consoles right now, and most likely beat the next generation with a simple video card upgrade.  

XcEWPbm.png

Kojak, my PS3 after 7 years is still playable and works ok for a 7 year old machine. See this is the issue you think that consoles are from day one, unrepairable and break endlessly, which is just rediculous given how HUGE the market is that holds them. Can you buy better stuff yes will it cost, yes!

I get that you are a PC IS THE BEST HAIL HITLER kindve guy but for one after a couple of years you have to look at upgrading parts on a PC unless you are uber loaded with money as components on them DO degrade, its not a peasents opinion is fact.

It seems a very funny market this whole gaming thing, people whether XBox or PS or PC are in general very this way I have chosen is the best and thats that. Its like that at work here too

Personally I just buy and play whatever the hell I want. I have a 2DS, PS3 and an OK level laptop.

I play classic games from GOG.com on the laptop, time fillers on the PS3 and the 2DS for when I am out and about or want to fill up a bit of time too. All of these I got cheap (£99 for the 2DS last year, £90 for the PS3 and the laptop is also my home machine so that cost isn't all on gaming).

Don't see the need for dropping £350 on a new console as I wouldn't use it often enough. For that I could also buy a TM pistol and three mags along with 6-7 games worth of playing and I would rather that.

I always found the thing with a brand spanking new console or PC is that you have to really play it to get the moneys worth out of it. If you don't play it enough to justify the price then I would just say to not bother :).

'FireKnife'

See my PS3 is my dvd/bluray player, I do play it but me and my lady also do like to play it together too ( we still play block ops assension!) not to mention it also houses the Netflix and Amazon live video software. So I guess mine has a lot more use than just a games console

Archived