PS4 or XBox1, your choices?

Dacascos

Well in that case it may be worth while shifting up to a later model if you get the use from it.

My point was more aimed at those that drop lots into a console or PC and then don't see why others might be so inclined. Sometimes you have to balance it out and if you pay £330 for a PS4 and give it solid use then that makes sense but for me I just wouldn't give it the use to justify owning it in the first place.

But then balancing out cost is just all part of life and sometimes a one off paymnt of £300 on a console is better than the potential £1000s during the course of a few years that a PC may cost?

'FireKnife'

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon the PS4 is the better of the two consoles, Sony have certainly done less to off their customers. I would strongly recommend building a mini PC though, it's a much more flexible and powerful option and a good build could be had for about the same as a PS4 (you've already been linked to the various reddit pages), especially if you already have a TV that you're happy with.

Well in that case it may be worth while shifting up to a later model if you get the use from it.

Hence my initial question prior to all the PC stuff!

I really am PC uneducated though I will admit, I have a laptop its a toshiba and has a big shiny screen its new and has a really thin DVD drive, wifi and that really is as much as I could tell you about it oh apart from it got windows 8 on it and I hate it!!!!

You could buck the trend and get a Wii U....................

I am a Nintendo fan and even I haven't considered it :P.

Though admittedly there are a lot of awesome games on the 3DS and they can be had cheap plus a lot of the games are long lasting unlike some PS4/XB1 releases :D.

Plus for just buying the new console and a new game you get a free game and when I say free game I mean a free game that is about £30-40 worth like the latest Legend of Zelda.

P.S. Don't take this post seriously, but the 3DS is still awesome.

'FireKnife'

Well their is a fully updated with spangly new graphics version of Ocarina of Time and StraFox 64 on the 3DS platform................... :P

But yeah it is a console with about 10-15 awesome games that everyone needs to play and about 70 that are just the typical poor tie-ins or Lego versions in which nothing happens.

'FireKnife'

Kojak, my PS3 after 7 years is still playable and works ok for a 7 year old machine. See this is the issue you think that consoles are ###### from day one, unrepairable and break endlessly, which is just rediculous given how HUGE the market is that holds them. Can you buy better stuff yes will it cost, yes!

I get that you are a PC IS THE BEST HAIL HITLER kindve guy but for one after a couple of years you have to look at upgrading parts on a PC unless you are uber loaded with money as components on them DO degrade, its not a peasents opinion is fact.

It seems a very funny market this whole gaming thing, people whether XBox or PS or PC are in general very this way I have chosen is the best and thats that. Its like that at work here too

My gaming PC runs nearly all day long (it doubles as a media server) and the only reason I did a major update was because I was used to maxing out all the settings and didn't want to bother with adjusting each game to run well.  Furthermore, almost every PC component I've ever bought is still in use, either in a media center PC, a friend's machine, or at least sold on for a couple of bucks.  

On the other hand, I've personally had a PS2, two PS1s, a Dreamcast and two Xboxes die on me.  My PS3 does still run, but only as my mom's Netflix player, and my old roommates went through four X360s.  I'm not saying it was bad equipment, but I've spent quite a bit on game hardware that's currently in a landfill, and that wasn't even the point of my post.  Consoles are just mass produced computers, there's no inherent reason that a PC should be more or less reliable.  It's just a whole heck of a lot more repairable/upgradable.  

Like I said earlier, I was never a "PC guy".  I didn't like sitting at a desk or using a mouse and keyboard, and I certainly didn't want to spend big bucks on a computer when I already had a laptop.  But back then the higher prices of console games subsidized a better gaming machine than the average PC.  That's no longer the case, so why should we keep paying those premiums? 

Again, you can build a gaming computer for roughly the price of a PS4 or X-bone, so this isn't about the hardware prices.  

The PC master race/console peasant thing is getting kinda old and pathetic now.

I agree that the joke has become needlessly divisive.  I borrowed the graphic because it illustrates some common misconceptions, but I think the point was kinda lost.  

Ok I have and love both consoles but software sells consoles and at the moment I thinks the Xbox has the upper hand in that area with great exclusives like titanfall and killer instinct, forza IMO was a let down which was a big exclusive for Xbox but titanfall is a blast and for me the best 1st person shooter in ages. At the moment the only ps4 exclusive that I think is good is driveclub, it's only new so the usual network makes it difficult to play online but I'm sure they will sort that soon. But when halo makes an appearance I can see myself playing a lot of Xbox. The newest console war is only brand new so expect a good few shifts in market share between the two gaming giants in the next few years and ultimately the winner will be the company who can own more decent exclusives.

A lot of the exclusives seem to be removing this from the scene so I read and opting to hit both markets and with the new consoles working on my PC hardware I guess the game dsigners are finding it far easier to s=cross the software or thats my guess but take into account that when i cant get into my email I get flustered!!!!!!!!

I think it's a good thing. I know it sound strange but I hate the way software and hardware company's these day throw out produces that are not finish and there launch is followed by months of DLC to fix bugs etc, these guys say there not releasing it until it's ready which is commendable IMO.

The issue with that is that every system has issues and bugs when released and for two reasons. One the test basis for prototypes isnt millions of people - sales to the masses are and if they hold onto it long enough to ffix al the bugs then their software will be out of date as unfortunately is the speed of technology these days.

Conssumer demand and business pressure, speed of movement and the need to stay ahead on releases in their market is to blame for systems that require bug fixes as they all do as do phones and PC's!! As I said its inherent to the market

Steam Machines are basically computers running SteamOS (available now in beta), which in turn is just Steam Big Picture mode running in Linux, so in essence we already have Steam Machines.  I'll definitely be picking up a Steam controller or two if they're any good.  

You sure you're thinking of the right thing?  Linux isn't the sort of operating system people just bump in to as it were (outside of commercial use anyway I'd imagine), you've pretty much got to deliberately buy a PC or other device with it installed or go out of your way to install it yourself.  Far as I know pretty much all PCs and laptops getting sold to the home users out there ship with Windows.  The sort of people who specifically get/install Linux are pretty much always extremely computer savvy and they always seem to love it for the specific characteristics it brings to the table.  Unreliability (á la an ARES gun) is literally the last thing I've ever heard mentioned by a Linux user.

Well it is hard for Linux to be unreliable seeing as it is usually built by the user with some very specific ideas in mind.

When it comes to being 'reliable' I find that most people expect something to be reliable to them specifically without actually making changes that can help change that level in the users favour. As said Linux is for those that know what to do or in rare cases something that came with a netbook and the person has just gotten used to.

However for a gaming PC / console hybrid thing Linux would be quite nice as it can be made to run things with commands and programmes assigned to it. Plus I don't think Windows would bother as they already have a console running what is essentially a trimmed down Windows OS :P.

'FireKnife'

It's just a base to build a "ten foot" UI on while keeping the price down; certainly no worse than any other console OS and potentially a lot more versatile. But what I should have said was that "I" already have a Steam Machine, since AFAIK the behavior is the same once Big Picture is running. It will just be simpler for those daunted by building a PC, potentially cheaper, and boot straight into a couch friendly interface like an Xbox. If you don't like SteamOS I don't see why you couldn't install windows.

Archived