G36 Project!

Achaian

Hello everyone!

I am considering starting a G36 project since i am moving towards a lighter build (thank you orthopedic problems for modifying my playing style :P ).

I already have a G36K which is based on the old JG G36KE with the G&P kit foregrip. Although this gun has served me well for the past 5 years, i would like to have my project be a high-end AEG again as a K model based probably on the WE IDz look with the following requirements.

A: Great external quality 

B: Highly upgraded internals including 3 round burst capability (easy availability of parts is a definite plus)

C: Reliability

The AEG will be run with a LiPo .

searching the webs most people swear on the SRC-Ares-TM AEGs.

So which one should be the basis of my project?

And what kind of upgrades should i consider.

My budget is roughly on the 400 euro scale.

Thanks in advance for your help!

SRC is the way to go: the new version has RS material for the receiver, and a more robust hop unit.  Dimensions are also closer to the RS.  SRC also does the mid height scope rails for their rifles which is more inline with the IDz configuration. 

I was tempted to replace my WE GBBR with an SRC MG36 but I want my GBBR MG36 in the future so I will wait till I can make that drum mag.

ARES/S&T have FRP on the receiver and more rigid outer barrel but less robust hop unit and has a microswitch (which can be a good/bad thing)

Marui is only good if you keep it a Commando version and keep it stock.

WE AEG should be similar to the ARES but I have never taken one apart.

KWA, again never seen one.

3rd burst:  I wouldn't as Mosfets do fail more frequently than conventional trigger switches.  If you want to preserve trigger switches I would recommend optimising efficiency of the internal system (low res wires, super high torque motor, 7.4v lipo) than using a high power lipo and mosfet.  I have had a number of mosfets fail and my last one caught fire, melted the stock and shorted my lipo to the point it was swollen and had to be thrown away.  I would definitely not risk it with mosfets.  Saves money too.

IDZ stock:  I think WE sells them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I'm actually doing something similar right now; my base gun is a JG g36c I've had for years gathering dust-(its a solid gun BTW, not the best externally but cheap and highly compatible with aftermarket gear). I was gonna simply buy an mg36 kit but in the end wanted a pistol/pdw type weapon. Simply removing the top rail, replacing it with diy cqb sights and adding the g36 "sniper" magazine made a huge difference in decreasing the overall size; Then I just used an m4 to g36 stock converter and added a "stubby" stock. Its too front-long to ever be called a pistol, but it makes a great little pdw. As I said, jg's externals aren't great: they use abs instead of nylon fibre; but I used Krylon to paint the whole gun light grey. Just a thought anyway; there are so many parts and kits out there for the g36 series you can dream up some wild projects.

Sorry, but I really don't know internals at all, I/could also use pointers for some of the upgrades you mentioned.

• 1 month later...

A little late on the topic but after serious consideration and having sold almost all of my old paintball gear, i have the funds to start making some progress, and begin the project. The lack of a brick and mortar Airsoft shop where I live, makes my research be based solely on YouTube videos so I have to make do. An additional feature that I would like my future g36 to have is the quick spring change system.

As far as I know only the Ares one has that capability.

Are the ares externals on par with the SRC ones? Also what is the deal of the ares hop up unit and the microswitch? Are they problematic?

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, Ares could even have the edge on externals; Im pretty sure they use nylon fibre, and their aegs are well-finished too. Cant help you with the technical stuff as know jack about aeg internals beyond barrels.

WE sell a "future soldier" kit with the stock and v cool low profile rail (I cant stand the rail on g36c and k), and evike sell cqb sights for g36. I prefer the oeiginal carryhandle/ scope myself, when funds permit ill be grabbing one.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input! I suppose you are referring to the gen 3 SRC? Can you provide a link?

Yes, 3vi1-D4n was referring to the SRC "SR36" Gen III model, their high-end model which offers their best externals (glass-reinforced nylon, comparable to the real HK G36) and internals (such as the pre-upgraded 8mm ball bearing gearbox and I believe it also comes with the SRC neodymium ultra high torque motor which, if I remember correctly, needs some considerable voltage to run nicely); they come from the factory with an M100 spring installed but also come with an optional M120 spring (hence the high torque motor, since the gun was made to deal with hot/powerful springs) .

They are some of the most (if not THE most) robust AEG G36 replicas on the market (made in Taiwan); the product's page:

http://www.starrainbow.com.tw/ace_sr36.html

One pretty cool unique characteristic is that these SRC G36 replicas also come with the more modern, XM8-style ambidextrous magazine release, which can be accessed with the trigger finger, here's a quickly googled pic (from an SRC G36):

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/7067/img6667.jpg

An additional feature that I would like my future g36 to have is the quick spring change system.

Yes, although S&T Armament (same design as Ares) alternatively also has the quick spring change system.

Also what is the deal of the ares hop up unit and the microswitch? Are they problematic?

Though I have no personal experience with that system, even though it was no doubt included with good intentions (to get a good trigger response), it seems that the execution of the Ares micro switch has left much to be desired in practice; it is extremely controversial in that it has caused many people ample amounts of headaches for various reasons, especially the micro switch's low life expectancy with the tendency to be easily fried (and since an unconventional trigger layout was used, it complicates matters further in case repair is needed).

Again, I have no personal experience with that particular trigger design.

i would like to have my project be a high-end AEG again as a K model based probably on the WE IDz look

Like others said, WE sells an IdZ kit which is composed of a railed carrying handle with non-adjustable flip-up sights (for the look rather than for use, so an optic is highly recommended with this specific setup) and a very nice G36 retractable and folding stock with an adjustable cheek rest:

http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/product_detail1.php?item=WE-KIT-G39IDZSRK

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/we-g39-idz-stock-and-rail-system-conversion-kit-for-we-g39-series-gbb.html

Actually, I'm almost finishing an G36KA1.1 (the current IdZ version of the G36K) replica myself, and the WE IdZ kit is the last thing I'm missing to complete the gun; my G36KA1.1 is based on an SRC SR36K Gen III AEG, unfortunately I won't be able to comment on the WE IdZ kit in the future since this specific airsoft project has been on hiatus for quite a while as I've been working on other higher priority airsoft projects (in fact, since I've recently sold my G36 AEG mags I'm more than likely probably gonna end up selling this G36; I'll resume G36-related projects at a later date).

My (currently incomplete) G36KA1.1 is a replica of this specific setup (that ambidextrous mag release which is also used on the SRC replica helps to give it more detail, as that mag release was also used on the IdZ G36 variants):

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/10/28/the-g36k-idz/

Another quickly googled image (real gun):

http://www.abload.de/img/inf-03_g36k11_k24147.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed, although given the G36's modular magazine well, I wouldn't be surprised if HK had designed the weapon to potentially, deliberately and easily be able to accept future mag adapters (or perhaps had even designed an early prototype STANAG/M4-type magwell themselves?), especially considering the fact that the preceding HK G41 assault rifle used STANAG magazines.

I have a theory regarding that point (optional, off-topic tl;dr time, please shift to the "tl;dr" below for the conclusion):

[tl;dr]

The end of the Cold War, the reunification of East and West Germany and the consequent huge defence budget cuts for the German armed forces caused the cancellation of ambitious military projects like the very advanced HK G11 assault rifle (which was well ahead of it's time); in any case, the need to replace the venerable but ageing G3 rifle was still there.

The G11 was a major project for Heckler & Koch (which had dumped a lot of time and money into it), there was a sudden shift from the need of an ultramodern and futuristic assault rifle/caseless ammunition combo (deliberately built for a potential conventional war in Europe against the Warsaw Pact) to a more conventional assault rifle design to use standard NATO ammunition (to better correspond to the emerging, post-Cold War military needs).

Since the G3 is a 7,62x51mm rifle, the adoption of a new service rifle using the smaller 5,56x45mm calibre also meant that brand new magazines, ammo and related logistics (pouches, etc.) were needed to accommodate the new service rifle as well; since the Cold War was now over, there was much less immediate need for the rifle to share a STANAG-compliant NATO magazine; given HK's economic circumstances after the cancellation of previous projects, this meant that a proprietary magazine for the G36 was a great opportunity to recoup some cash.

It's pure speculation on my part, but HK probably made the G36 modular magwell that way so that, in case of future military need, they would produce a polymer STANAG magwell which could easily and rapidly replace the original magwell; in the meantime, besides of Germany, other major military customers like the Spanish armed forces and many other smaller military clients would continue to purchase the original, German G36 magazines.

HK's aptitude for business was also evident with the creation of the XM8 assault rifle (basically a G36 in a different shell, but also using the same magazine) and when it wasn't adopted by the US armed forces, they took the G36's operating mechanism and stuffed it into a more "familiar" AR-15 design, creating what would be later known as the HK416, again in an attempt to get US military sales (ironically, the HK416 is growing in popularity in Europe, with Norway having already adopted it as it's new G3 replacement).

[/tl;dr]

tl;dr

There wasn't a reason for HK to rapidly put a new STANAG magazine well for the G36 on the market, as that would mean less G36 magazine sales. Of course, that didn't stop neither firearm nor even airsoft manufacturers from going ahead and developing those highly sought-after mag converters.

A particularly cool magazine converter for the real HK G36 is the Spuhr one (which sadly wasn't replicated in airsoft form):

http://www.spuhr.biz/hk-g36-sl8-upgrades

Looks pretty cool and convenient, with ambidextrous mag release buttons which are accessible by the trigger finger, here's a nice video (careful, it's loud when he shoots):

Hey nice read there; without wanting to sound pretentious, its "design language" is just too bulky in comparisan to the G3, the carry handle and sight system, though an excellent concept makes the rifle far too tall, and the 3x scope just cant compete with many similarsights on the market. slimming down the g36 platform is pretty important , and i agree their proprietary mags are far too bulky, and this new adapter will allow it to use the latest polymer non-slip mags available-but knowing h&k i can see them bringing out a "product improved" mag- look what they did for the m16 after all.

Good point about the G11 project, this was a revolutionary firearm up there with the sixgun, the cartridge, the maxim gun et al but it died without a trace....ironically worrld war 2 had forced rapid advances of technology in the arms field, but after years of total war and ridiculously massive expenditure nobody would want to outfit thei armies with this advanced and expensive weapon. And this is where H&k really showed their genius: they didnt push the concept and waste a lot of money, instead theyy built a rifle best suited for the times in the G3. It used the same battle proven gas system from the devastating mg series,they also used Germanys mastery of using stamped and pressed metals, meaning the G3 could reach a global market-this rifle could be finished to high standards and materials, but it could also be made by poorer countries with cruder raw materiels and manufacturing capacites.

Imo youd think the ak and the ar15 were the only 2 platforms of any note, but the G3 was a true world beater-this thing outlived the battle rifle concept and proved itself a chameleon-from a 5 figure hi-spec sniper rifle to the first sub-carbine assault rifle it was a modular weapon before the term had been invented, also forming the basis of possibly the worlds finest 9mm smg, and the psg1 not to mention a whole family of light machine guns.

G36 came out in I think the mid 90's? Its a baby compared to other weapons and time will tell whether it will match the G3. I think its biggest succsss has been the g36c- this has replaced mp5 as the near ubiquitous police armed response rifle for many western forces; the mg36 was a flop, and the G36 as a main service rifle has not been a huge success.

You should definately check out the mexican armies rifle. Im sorry i forget the name but its a g36 clone and it really looks cool.

Yeah as cool as it is stock a g36 benefits from;

m4 magwell

g36c / ka1 rail

scope / rds combo (acog & dr for example)

Still you can get 3 rails up front with out a ras (basically a magpul MOE), ampi controls, and the stock folds. I have mine folded about 80% of the time due to airsoft.

Definately, even adding a low profile scope rail and an m4 mag gives the gun a leaner, more agressive look. I really dont like the 20mm rail on my g36c personally- its maybe a bit tall and those little u-shaped grooves are unsightly and attract dust. I wood really like a super-low profile rail; one a thin one that just about clears the dummy bolt. Im tempted to get the WE future soldier kit, but my g36 is a really old JG one andd i dont like to buy parts that almost cost as much as the rifle itself, so Im just waiting for a cheaper pattern copy of the stock. The rail im goin to make myself-all I really need is length of picatinny after all.

There are ar15 stock adapters by the bucketload out there but the thing that'd be perfect for me wd be an mp5 sliding stock i love the look of them anyone know if there is an adapter to use mp5 stocks out there?

They are the masters....seriously, they can work magic on a hunk of plastic to make it look like realer than real. I know this is pretty general, but I go to a b&m shop n the guy there runs a v succesful woodland site, and he rents marui G3 various models and he says they will last for years of abuse from overenthusiastic newbies with minimal maintenance. I aspire to get one but theyre too damn expensive...

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add a little bit of extra information over my initial post in this thread:

I am considering starting a G36 project since i am moving towards a lighter build (thank you orthopedic problems for modifying my playing style :P).

I had planned for various different setups for my G36K, one of which I'm sure you'd be probably interested in, the "light setup":

In an attempt to shave as much weight off my G36K (especially to make it as less front-heavy) as possible, even if just by a little, without necessarily sacrificing on capabilities like a flashlight or laser, I created a lighter setup which cut down on things like the handguard side rails or front sling swivel/hand stop.

Basically, the idea is to instead mount a pretty neat VFC side rail which is screwed onto the base of the G36 carrying handle to then mount an airsoft replica of the LLM 01 Laser Light Module on the side, to make it look similar to:

k2LxQBt.jpg

This would also help in better distributing the weight of the accessory throughout the gun (in this case to the middle, rather than the front), helping in maintaining the gun's sensation of lightness without sacrificing tacticoolness (on a more serious note, it would be also useful to have, regardless of the specific handguard I use, for example an AG36 grenade launcher); also, to compensate for the loss of the frontal handguard sling swivel, I instead used a lateral sling swivel loop which also serves as the frontal carrying handle screw:

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/ares-front-sling-pin-for-g36-aeg.html

My other two setup ideas for this gun involved a medium/standard version which would much more closely replicate the look of the G36KA1.1 as shown on my first post ITT, so it has the frontal side rails and the front sling swivel/hand stop assembled on the handguard and at last a heavy setup, with an AG36 grenade launcher (which isn't the lightest piece around, but looks awesome and with the new airsoft 40mm shells like the TAG system, now's the time to start seriously considering occasionally using airsoft grenade launchers, if your legislation or local sites permit their use, of course), in that regard, the back-mounted LLM wouldn't be affected, regardless of your current handguard.

An additional feature that I would like my future g36 to have is the quick spring change system.

Speaking of which, the other day I remembered a different power change system in which one does not have to open the gearbox to change the power, particularly if the capability for quick power change is critical (not necessarily only for the G36's V3 gearbox, but also for the V2 gearbox of the M4's as well):

There's an aftermarket part called the SAT VVD (Variable Velocity Device), basically a special piston which one can adjust with a specific tool to regulate the flow of air which is spewed forth from the airsoft gun, allowing one to have various "power settings", here's the video from Redwolf Airsoft:

The main advantage is that it allows for a change of power without opening the gun, the disadvantage is that it probably isn't as quick as the quick-spring change (especially the longer the gun's barrel is) and it also isn't the cheapest of aftermarket parts (particularly since at first you'll also have to get the specific tool, though SAT does sell the separate pistons).

An advantage, especially one for people with more higher-powered setups in mind, is that the VVD allows to retain the full structural integrity of the gearbox which, with quick spring change systems, is weakened at the back of the gearbox, which is why it is often discouraged just dropping a very high power spring inside such a system; on the other hand, having a stronger spring inside will affect the rate of fire regardless of the power setting you are using and will naturally cause more strain on the internals, depending on the spring's power.

I prefer the oeiginal carryhandle/ scope myself, when funds permit ill be grabbing one.

While the standard G36 carrying handle with the integral optic looks absolutely stunning, it's important to note that it's integral scope has a very short eye relief (distance between the eye and the optic), which means you'll have to be really close to the optic to see well (it's the same thing with the real HK G36 scope); in most situations like using it outdoors, it isn't a great problem when you get used to it, but if you are using a face protection mask, it will preclude you from taking aim; naturally, since it's a magnified optic, it isn't also intended for CQB.

For that reason, it's probably best to keep the original G36C carrying handle and swap between both of them depending on the specific airsoft field you'll be playing at, etc.

JackofBlades you're a bit enthusiastic.. but wrong about more or less everything. TM G36C is "good" but the externals are sub par and there are better options now. TM now make a "next-gen" K with electric blowback and all that.

Imho i think im right about their cheap *albartroth* glock; mean look at it it looks fantastic. Same for their springers too.

Archived