Looking for some help with Tracer Units

xrayhead

Hi All

I'm currently having my G&P upgraded and was looking at a new Hop unit and also a tracer unit. One of the Airsoft retailers doing the work has recommended the Madbull 3 in 1 hop up with tracer built in! I don't know much about Tracer units if anything at all so looking for some feedback and recommendations, one thing I will say is the G&P will be used for CQB only. I already have a G&G Top Tech for my local urban/woodland site so the G&P being worked on is going to be used at a local CQB site that runs a lot of night games so with that in mind I don't mind having the Tracer permanently installed (unless of course there is a better option)! 

As always any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers, Xray

One other issue I have is I cant get a new Madbull tight bore barrel to go into the gun as the outer barrel is just to shot. Accuracy is an issue with this gun and I noticed a big difference between this and my upgraded G&G I already own. So I was thinking of extending the new barrel into the silencer, this option means I would defiantly have to go down the "Hop Up/ Tracer all in one" route?

My G&P, as you can see the outer barrel is very short!

FG6_7427_zps94e2d9eb.jpg

One think you'll want to think about if you're having the G&P upgraded is rate of fire. Most tracer units can't keep up with high rof builds.. if you're a semi only player that shouldn't be a problem. Unless you're running such a crisp gearbox that you can pull the trigger faster than it can keep up.. like my tracer on my P* haha... 

Then you will want to maybe look into tweaking the tracer a bit.. I have that sort of hairline trigger on my P* and it just can't keep up at all literally like 1 in 4 shots is traced. I read somewhere you can up the power volatage or something install a bigger battery to make it a bit better or do something else that'll make it flash faster but it's not worth it for me! I'm out of tracer and the P* runs better on .3g and above which there isn't any tracer! 

A couple of points about your question. 

You are correct, you don't want to extend your inner barrel into the tracer unit, it will likely compromise the functionality. Accuracy at CQB distances should not be an issue even in a short, stock barrel as long as your hop, bucking and air seal are decent. You may be able to get by with the barrel you have, unless it has some manufacturing flaw. 

I have no direct experience with this unit, but the majority of DIY HUTUs (hop up tracer units) will not illuminate the first bb or two of a string of shots. This tends to be a problem if you are using semi auto only. This one illuminates close enough to the chamber that it may not be a problem. Definitely something to inquire about with the people who are recommending it. 

One other issue I have is I cant get a new Madbull tight bore barrel to go into the gun as the outer barrel is just to shot. Accuracy is an issue with this gun and I noticed a big difference between this and my upgraded G&G I already own. So I was thinking of extending the new barrel into the silencer, this option means I would defiantly have to go down the "Hop Up/ Tracer all in one" route?...

In airsoft, barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy.  As long as the crown is good and the bore is clear, barrels have little to do with accuracy at all.  

One think you'll want to think about if you're having the G&P upgraded is rate of fire. Most tracer units can't keep up with high rof builds...

This is a moot point with the Madbull the OP mentions--it's always on and doesn't rely on a sensor.  

The 3-in-1 tracer works fairly well, but the MB chamber is notorious for causing jams.  If you're handy with a Dremel you can fit the LED to a standard chamber, or do what I did and use it with a clear polymer one (if you use a clear bucking as well it's possible to keep the chambered round "charged" with light).   

When it comes to tracers most people say "just get a Marui", and for good reason, but if you're set on using an extended inner barrel it won't work.  

Off topic, when I go out with tracers I keep a pistol speedloader of red tracer BBs on hand--I put one pump into each empty midcap before filling it with the brighter and more plentiful green tracer rounds.  This way I get a very cool "tactical" warning when it's time for a reload.  

This is a moot point with the Madbull the OP mentions--it's always on and doesn't rely on a sensor.  

No. He says he has seen it, not that he has chosen it. He asks for suggestions. I am giving him a suggestion and some feedback on another type of tracer that I have personal experience with. 

I also had no problems with the madbull chamber in a G&P M733 with every brand magazine I could think of. I have heard horror stories though so worth bearing in mind. 

Yes.  It's still "a moot point with the Madbull the OP mentions", just like I said, which you somehow quoted without reading comprehensively.

The inner diameter of my Madbull chamber is too tight at the feed end, causing jams with any bucking unless the chamber or bucking is modified.  It worked fine until the original rubber tore, though.   

Ok reading the feedback I'm more pushed towards doing the following:

. Upgrade the complete Hop Up Unit

. Leave the standard barrel as is

. Go with a standard Tracer unit such as the TM

Hoe dose that sound?

Can someone recommend me a decent Hop Up Unit, I was thinking Madbull Ultimate (without LED as can be added later if needs be): LINK HERE

Apologies I did indeed read that wrong! It was getting close to home time I was closing down my station!

There are other options on tracer hop though aren't there?? Could've sworn I saw some somewhere!

Thanks for that, and sorry if my reply was snippy.  The only other commercial product I can think of right now is the G&P "tracer mag", but that puts the light source even further away from the chamber than a hopup LED, and is a bad choice for a semi-only application.  I made my own once by bodging a mini UV florescent tube into a m249 boxmag, and it was the brightest tracer unit you ever saw once the dark rounds from the tube were expelled.  

IMG_20110829_211620.jpg

For the OP's needs a Marui is probably the best bet; mine works just fine on gas guns and heavily modded AEGs.  I wouldn't recommend extending the barrel past the FH (even in a short gun), you can make up the FPS loss in other ways.  

babyblock2-1.JPG

The hop up chamber (like the barrel) doesn't make much difference once it's dialed in, it's the bucking that really matters.  With that said, a ProWin is nice to have since it makes fine adjustment easier (it's like a Madbull without the jamming).  If you're interested in doing hopup mods I recommend a clear chamber and bucking to start with anyway so you can see exactly how evenly the backspin is applied (I use these and these), and you can add an LED module later without cutting anything.  

IMAG0459.jpg

I saw on PTS' facebook page a few months back they were testing with some tracer in mag PMAGS too but I don't know if that ever took off.. Sounds like a bit of a silly idea to me, especially if you're wanting mainly semi shot! 

Personally I think the best and least distracting option in terms of giving your position away is the TM style Tracer.. I have an ASG B&T one and a TM one and both are brilliant, just can't keep up with my snappy finger. I've also heard very good things about the G&G one but thats quite expensive and I've not heard them to be any better than the TM/ASG one. 

I saw on PTS' facebook page a few months back they were testing with some tracer in mag PMAGS too but I don't know if that ever took off.. Sounds like a bit of a silly idea to me, especially if you're wanting mainly semi shot! 

Personally I think the best and least distracting option in terms of giving your position away is the TM style Tracer.. I have an ASG B&T one and a TM one and both are brilliant, just can't keep up with my snappy finger. I've also heard very good things about the G&G one but thats quite expensive and I've not heard them to be any better than the TM/ASG one. 

I'm pretty much sold on the following now :-)

. Upgrade the complete Hop Up Unit

. Leave the standard barrel as is

. Go with a standard Tracer unit such as the TM

Thanks for the input, I'll probably just go for the Madbull Hop Up as thats the one they have in stock. As someone mentioned above its CQB so no long rang accuracy is essential. 

Archived