Halo: The Master Chief Collection - Thoughts?

bankz5152

I've been a massive Halo fan since the first one in 2001 and why I bought an Xbox in the first place!

For £52.99 for the steelbook edition I was very happy. 4 of my favourite games remastered in full 1080p at 60fps (for the most part), Halo 5 Beta and Halo Nightfall. The game really does look stunning, the difference between Halo CE 2001 and the Anniversary is astonishing, really does look beautiful. Think I completed it in a new personal record of 4hrs 30mins. 

However I've found two what could be major bugs! **Spoiler Alert** here if you havent played before!

At the end of Assault on the Control Room I was right near the end, at the final checkpoint, on the final bridge full of Flood. One of them kept jumping out with a rocket launcher and killing me so took a break, used the proper 'Save & Quit' option, though when I went back to play the game appears to have just jumped to the next level! Hadnt actually finished the level so missed the final cutscenes/game play, not the biggest issue as I have played it at least 20 odd times through but still. 

Second one was on 'The Maw' the final section where your driving the Warthog through the ship, theres a big *albatross* jump toward the end, missed it twice because I kept crashing :/ third time around I fell down but didnt die, hog rolled flipped it and carried on driving ended up at the ship? This I found very strange indeed! Never happened before.

Havnt bothered with online yet due to the match making issues, combined with my shockingly bad Internet would just be a stress fest. About to embark on Halo 2 now, see how that looks! 

Can't wait to see Halo 4, that looked outstanding on the 360 and at 1080p (but not full 1080p), with cut scenes and 'simple' gameplay in 60fps and intense battles ranging between 30fps and 50fps depending on the amount of explosions lol. 

So far very happy indeed. The way I see it, it's £11 for a remastered game and £9 for the Nightfall series and the 5 Beta. Cheap if you break it down :D 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of all the game series that this idea of 'remastering' is a joke Halo is the top (well just after Dynasty Warriors :P).

The game series has been one long remaster since the dawn of time. Now they have stuck all of them together and charge £50+ for it and it doesn't work properly out of the box?

Not good at all in my mind, not good at all. Probably doesn't help that you can buy Halo 1+2 for next to nothing on the 360, get 3+4 for also near peanuts and only really the Beta and Nightfall are that new but I wouldn't say worth it.

Also does it include Reach? Again I know you can get that for next to nothing but if they haven't included it then it would feel a bit cheap in my mind.

'FireKnife'

I have been a massive Halo fan since the original, I would love to comment on the new Masterchief collection but after 4 hours of waiting for the thing to download it still wasnt ready so I couldn't say... why have we gone backwards? on the 360 I used to be able to just put the disk in and play not have to bloody download the game onto the hard drive, its like loading games from a cassette.  I've now realised that my hard drive is almost full so i'm going to have to either delete stuff (and then go through the whole process of downloading again if i want to go back and play it again) or by an external hard drive WTF!!! ive got like 5 games and my brand spanking new xbox is nearly full already good work MS!!! 

Yeah that is annoying. These days I put in the Xbox leave it over night, play next day stress free. Then again its been that way on PC for decades. One thing that infuriates me about current games (and many other things!) is this issue of 'Always Online' things like Titanfall and Destiny once they shut the severs down are nothing more than paperweights. Which they will eventually, once TF3 is out or probably even a few years after Destiny 2 is out, or a new console... 

Online wise ANY game that has come out has suffered from massive first week issues. Remember BF4? A YEAR later and all the bugs are finally solved.... CoD had matchmaking issues, Destiny jesus christ half the people that bought it couldnt even get online on release day!

Reach wasnt included, neither was ODST or Wars hence the title 'Master Chief Collection' as much as I would have enjoyed them they arnt an integral part of his story. 

I think they are more isolated glitches I experienced rather than full blown game failure. Buying new all the games come to £50 off Amazon... IF going for the Anniversary of CE. I bought the steel book, standard edition is £38.00. Also comes down to the fact that Halo 5 is out next year, (I expect partially why it was delayed) that they want everyone, or as many people as possible to play the original games, or again to have it fresh. Theres also the point that a lot of new gamers will never have even owned a 360, this gives people who just own an Xbone to play the games, the first at least, is an integral part of gaming history. Finally includes every piece of DLC and every multiplayer map (over 150 maps I think) since the first available as co-op or online play. 

A lot of people wouldnt play the first or second, simply because they are too old. For me I liken it to trying to watch 80s anime, Dragon Ball in particular, its so old now its very difficult to watch and I gave up after a few episodes and watched DBZ Kai. 

That does suck on MS part, why they didnt do the same as PS and have user changeable HDDs, you never know though the Xbone Slim is coming some time late next year. However its not as though a 1TB HDD is that expensive, and it can run installed games directly from it, something the PS4 cant do I dont think. 

-------------

Half way through Halo 2 at the minute, slightly disappointed. The cut scenes are astonishingly crystal and of the highest quality in full 1080p @ 60fps, really quite jaw dropping. However the game itself isnt remastered to the same quality as Halo CE. Though I expect this is partially down to the fact that Halo CE has be done twice now also probably down to the cut scenes being so good it makes the game look worse than it actually is. Overall it is a massive improvement over the original game. 

TL;DR

Is it worth buying it 'cos it looks pretty?

Also, I have a lesbian colleague who wants to game with me. She has a twin sister. This could be an 'in'

Twins is just meh :P.

But if you are after one specific game in the series might just be better to buy that ;).

'FireKnife'

That's the plan. Play until completion, legendary only.

It's the booking of bodies that's the issue. One single dad, one married with a cat, one army and one with an insane job (he makes chemicals).

That sounds like the pitch for a sitcom :P. Though I am glad you said married 'with' a cat and not 'to'.

Also why does the last one make it sound like you are friends with Jesse Pinkman?

'FireKnife'

I've always wanted to do a 1 - 4 play through in Legendary though either friends are too busy, dont like Halo (seriously should they even be my friends!?) or arnt that much into gaming. 

Best I got was playing through Halo CE with my girlfriend which means easy mode and me killing everything while she follows... lol 

dont like Halo (seriously should they even be my friends!?)

I think they should be asking, "do I want to be mates with a guy playing Halo?! Well as least it isn't CoD" :P.

or arnt that much into gaming. 

Hint: Get new friends, everyone should be into at least some games. (I was also going to go with "they sound perfect for Halo then").

'FireKnife'

I didn't have an internet connection so the save file for ODST was messed up. To complete it we left my xbox on for a week.

Killed the TV and the xbox in the end. But damned well completed it.

If any of the above four drop out, i'll advertise a spot on the dream team. 'with a cat' refers to his proxy child. The science guy makes stuff in a Breaking Bad-esque lab. Science *badgeress*.

Archived