E&L AKS74U vs LCT AS VAL

sirrith

Hi all.  I'm having a bit of a dilemma in choosing a CQB gun.  Let me give a bit of background here first.  I had a chinese AKS74U (I think it was DBoys) a while back, before there were all these steel models on the market.  Must be 4-5 years ago now.  Unfortunately, because it used cast pot metal, first the top cover snapped off at the hinge when I was just opening it at home to get the battery out, then another part (I forget where) snapped off as well.  It was also never that good performance-wise.  Now I'm looking to replace it. 

I love the look of the AKS74U.  The E&L one seems pretty amazing in terms of quality and value.  However, I also really like the AS Val.  But I'm having a hard time finding in depth reviews of either of these guns.  The LCT costs more, seems like it has less parts available in case something goes wrong or breaks, but is far more unique and interesting (rental fields in HK used AK's last time I played, so the AKS would not be particularly special).  The E&L on the other hand, based on what limited reviews I've managed to find, seems to be better in terms of build quality, and is cheaper, and is the gun I originally wanted to replace. 

So, my personal preferences on looks aside, is there anything I've missed which I should take into consideration when making my choice?  Are E&L really better than LCT despite being of Chinese origin rather than Taiwanese (I'm a bit wary of China guns now since my last one basically snapped in half without any abuse)?  Are my fears of lack of parts for the Val unfounded?  Will the E&L take DBoys and other AK mags (which I already have)?  What kind of battery would you recommend (when I left airsoft, we were only just venturing into the world of LiPo, now it seems to be the standard??)

I tried searching on here too, but unfortunately I really don't understand how the search function on this forum works anymore... I typed "E&L" into the box, and nothing came up, despite me having selected "forums" and knowing that there is a review of an E&L AEG. 

Thanks!

Well, E&L are said to be higher quality, but LCT while HIGH quality can be dissasembled in a more realistic fashion. At the end of the day its all about which gun you like the most, I would choose an LCT AKSU if you have the budget or a cyma cm045, which are LCT clones, if not. Both will stand perfectly to abuse, unless you like to drag them with your car in the way back home.

BTW: isnt the AS VAL a bit too long for CQB? I think an AKSU without the long flash hider and a shorter 229 barrel would be more efficient in a cqb scenario

To be fair, zinc diecast isn't all to blame for your bad experiences but that low quality castings are susceptible to zinc pest due to impurities.

That said, between the AKS74U of both brands, E&L wins in more accurately patterned externals (the rear sight block to be exact) but LCT has more realistic build/takedown as mentioned by Isamu. The AS VAL along with the VSS are kinda too long to be put in the same class as the AKS74U but can be used for CQB all the same. But you may be more interested in the up and coming SR-3.

Thanks for the input.  I ended up ordering the E&L because of the price mostly, and the shorter length as you guys pointed out.  I don't really want or need realistic takedown, I just want something that works well, won't break, feels, and looks nice.  I guess I'll post a short review once it arrives and I've used it, have to put some more info out there :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived