Anti IRA chant deemed offensive?

Habakure

Just read this on BBC news:-

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30110633

Now, at football games there are chants that are homophobic, sexist, racist and xenophobic. All very much disgusting. But I find a chant about a terrorist organisation to be fair game. Maybe it's because I grew up hating the IRA (this is coming from someone who has strong Irish family history, both Northern and Southern), so perhaps my view is clouded. I may even be missing the point (regardless of the content, the context is to instill violence/violent behaviour, and as such, is wrong). But I know of many anti-british songs that are sung at football games too (Google or have a look on YouTube) and in most cases, nothing is done about them (they don't ask the crowd to stop).

So, have I missed the point, or am I right in thinking, that singing about not liking a terrorist organisation, is fair game . . .

its ridiculous. I'm not a football fan but I feel sorry for those that are - treated like cattle and at worse like criminals due to the action of a small minority.

I think relatively recently, (like within the last 3 years) there has been a creeping attitude of censorship, be it against anything deemed "racist, sexist", etc etc. The NUS recently failed a motion to "condemn ISIS" (not sure what the point of that is anyway) due to perceived islamophobia. And recently a debate on abortion at Oxford University was cancelled by feminist campaigners. It really is silly.

I think its more the fact it was at Celtic park and against Scotland, it's like saying all Scotland/Celtic supporters are also members/supporters of the IRA.

In essence, there was nothing to do with the IRA at the game, and hence by process of elimination the English fans were calling the Scotland/Celtic fans terrorists/supporters of terrorists.

I think that may be where any offence lays, but thats just my take of the situation.

Edit:

Just remembered that the singing of sectarian songs at football matches is illegal in Scotland also.

It was a shame really, England are playing Ireland soon in the aviva stadium, I really hope the England supporters behave themselves this time and leave out the provoking chants. The last time Ireland played England in Ireland the English supporters ripped up there seats a threw them at the Irish just because they were loosing 1-0. They should find and ban the supporters involved in the chants against Scotland as they are giving the rest of the well behaved English supporters a bad name. Football should be all about love for the beautiful game not war.

Haha, you expect courtesy and consideration from a British football fan?

And I expect every single player to take their hits and not run a hot gun :P.

Sadly it just doesn't happen that way, always the little group of sods that ruin it for the rest of us.

'FireKnife'

It's weird the way rugby supporters get on well. I went to Ireland v England a couple of years ago a got really drunk with a load of guys from London it was great crack the pubs were full of both supporting parties and were all getting on really well.

It's weird but it's like football which should be a gentle mans game is played and followed by troublemakers and rugby which should be a tugs games because it so ruff is played and supported by gentlemen.

It certainly didn't sound like a minority group that was chanting at the Eng v Sco game.

I seem to recall Glasgow playing in Manchester a few years back and trashing the place. There are bad football fans from all over the world. In pretty much every country, you will see hooligans causing trouble. There are a lot worse than a English football fans.

As I put in another thread talking about the mentality of football and rugby fans, I think it's partly to do with rugby only going pro relatively recently along with wages being lower means the players don't fancy themselves so much. This attitude by the players then rubs off onto the fans

Yea football supporters in general are mad *fruitcage*ers. I went to a shamrock rovers v bohemians match when I was 17 and it scared the out of me. They were throwing bottles at each other and the police attending the match didn't seem to care. Needles to say I hated it and never attended another eircom league match again.

Yea football supporters in general are mad *fruitcage*ers. I went to a shamrock rovers v bohemians match when I was 17 and it scared the ###### out of me. They were throwing bottles at each other and the police attending the match didn't seem to care. Needles to say I hated it and never attended another eircom league match again.

To be fair they were Irish :P.

Same can be said for the Scots fans of teams like Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen and a few others. Some teams just have those bad egg supporters that they can't really get rid off.

'FireKnife'

When you consider celtic fans sing pro ira songs outside the ground the anti ira chants make a lot more sense. It isn't as simple as oh they are Scottish so aren't linked to the ira.

Liverpool fans used to sing about the Munich air disaster and gloat that many man utd playes died at that event.....

There are some really horrible songs and chants out there.

Skarclaw you are right there is very much an attitude that being offended allows a group to demand that people lose their right to speak and or be forced to apologise for what they say. Which is wrong because Everyone has the right to a view even if it is distasteful and.if we start banning views from being aired then we are bigger monsters than the bigot speaking unpleasant words.

I don't think the BNP should have their election broadcasts on the BBC censored as they usually are as that makes them.appear victims and allows them to gain support as the victim.and the 'valiant underdog fighting left/right/deleteaccordingtoyourbiased oppression' whereas if people saw the unedited statements that could open a few eyes.

The militant SJW crowd are being in to me off specially as i get pillorie and attacked for having any view that disagrees with theirs. Like being shouted at for not supporting people demanding that the sun scrap page three and being told 'but that's different' when women's mags plaster half nude men across the pages.

Have you seen the outcry about all about the bass no treble recently....Some feminist groups are complaining that that sing is bigoted and attacking skinny women because the line 'I ait gonna be no stick thin barbie doll so if that's what you want then just walk on by' and the photoshop lines imply thin women should be seen as less attractive and that the larger women are superior or some.such *badger*s.

Whereas any normal sensible human with an understanding of English wilanguage read that as 'I'm this shape if you aren't into that go find someone the shaperfect you want and don't waste my time. Each trying to demand I change as we will both be disapointed'

Throwing the label of racist/sexist/homophobe is being used as a way to silence critics and opponents. Why bother debating an opposing person when you can simply pillory them and make people.fearful.of stepping out of line.

If.you agree with any one single thing an 'enemy' said or proposed then you are a bigot who hates women or hates X group. It's sickening and it will do story this country as the young people I speak to in classes just parrot that X person is a racist or homophobe rather than discuss issues.

It's why we saw the archbishop of York be attacked, protested against and threatened with violence for making a statement based on his faith and the C of E rather than defending him issuing an apology for his comments and demanding he apologise for stating his faith.

Admitted Atheists and agnostics demanding that the church censure a member of the clergy for stating his understanding of the faith because 'it doesn't reflect the views of the uk' and demanding that the church change its views in order to attract people back/to the church.

Demanding the church weaken or change its position in an attempt to woo them and demanding it reject views of current members because they upset outsiders.

When you consider celtic fans sing pro ira songs outside the ground the anti ira chants make a lot more sense. It isn't as simple as oh they are Scottish so aren't linked to the ira.

Whilst I agree with everything else you said, the problem here is whilst that may happen, the case in hand is Scotland fans (whilst some will have no doubt been, not all will have been Celtic fans) and the vast majority will have been very anti IRA themselves. Let's not forget, that celtic supporters, rather the Irish catholic majority of them, who migrated to Glasgow and may perhaps be the ones singing Pro IRA songs are/were a hated minority in a protestant country, as I once saw it put in a book "the -N words- of Scotland".

In short, it's tarring all of the Scotland fans with the same brush - the same brush they themselves use to tar the Pro-IRA Celtic fans they hate, themselves.

Archived