Looking for some good MID CAPS - Please recommend me some

xrayhead

Hi Guy's

I'm in the market for some good mid-caps, I would prefer polymer and not metal but am still open to suggestions! It would be nice to get around 170 rounds but minimum is 120.

Everything I look at seems to be out of stock at present so I don't want to buy something just because it is available. I have 6 mid-caps at present but they are now giving me feed issues in all my rifles so it's time to change. 

Cheers - Xray

PS. I did find some "MAGPUL PTS 120rd PMAG™ M Version" magazines in stock but not sure what the M means?

I think it might stand for Military? But don't quote me on that.

The PTS Pmags though are damn fine mags. Have six of them myself and looking at possibly grabbing some spares as they're not produced anymore.

Heard some good things about PTS's EPM which I believe is the same mechanisms just in a slightly different shell.

I have been using cyma 160rds mags and those work amazingly well, are cheap, sturdy and metal made, only downside is that they are a bit heavy compared to other mags out there.

If you can find them, I can recommend the King Arms lancer transparent magazines, these are lighter, let you check how many BBs are left and still carry 140rds, which is very respectable

PTS pmags are harder to find and are quite pricier, but worth the money, i still have and use 5 transparent ones and they work beautifully. Those run in the 120rds count though

I havent tested myself the Dytac magazines, but reviews say that are very good mags and cheap

My main pack of magazines are six PTS PMAGs, 1st version, that I bought years ago. They still work flawlessly and they only need the springs to be stretched slightly every year or so, which is very easy to do.

The M version is the second version, with 3 big squares as gripping texture instead of the 4 of the earlier ones. They work exactly the same.

NEW PTS EPM.

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/magazines/aeg-std-magazines/magpul/pts-epm-150rd-enhanced-polymer-aeg-magazine-black.html#.VHi0jE1OUyQ

I had 6 M version PMAG from Magpul, was okay, occasional Jam on them.

Switched over to these, since being prone with them was so much easier.

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/mag-130rd-m16vn-magazine-for-m4-m16-hk416-aeg-7pcs.html#.VHi0sk1OUyQ

MAG mags are cheap, they will split open if you over feed them, so don't. $40 + 10% for 7 mags.. lol you can use and abuse them all you want!

• 2 weeks later...

Another +1 for PTS PMAGs, best mags I've ever used.

A cheaper alternative that still has great looks and feel are the KWA K120 mags.  I'm not a KWA fan myself, but those mags have fed in every gun I've ever had and you can have them for $55 for 6 (~£35.20).  If, after a while they started to misfeed, I just do the old velcro trick inside the magwell and they're good as new.

I'll pipe up about MAG mids too.

I've had over 30 and all have fed flawlessly. Some even split and they still feed fine. Overfilling can split them, but some tape and they are all good.

They are cheap and take a beating :)

I have four MAG midcaps for my AUG @ £15/ea.

Had them since April and the only mags I've used since then. No feeding issues, and I haven't serviced them even once. They have split on some of the plastic insert where you feed the BBs. But my speedloaders have suffered more through trying to cram BBs in there (why?! I don't know why I keep doing it but I'm trying to stop)

The big question that no one seems to ask is... what M4 platform are you running?

Something like a G&P M4 running a Madbull ultimate hop-up hates a Beta-Project PMAG, and doesn't like MAG mid-caps without extensive modding.  I am losing ~20 FPS in a MAG-mid-cap even after hot-glue modded the mag to sit right up in the mag-well, with a beta-project PMAG that lost goes up to 40 FPS. The Velcro-mod on the magwell does not elevate this issue either.

I have similar problems on the ICS M4 platforms, but the velcro mod cured this and my mags are shooting at what the spring ought to output.

Any talk of "good mid-caps" is therefore pure navel-gazing unless you lock-down what M4 platforms you have. Even then, if you have upgraded your gun nothing beats actual testing of the mags themselves.

If you're really hard on your kit, I can only recommend TM 68rd lowcaps. I've wrecked enough MAG midcaps to know that plastic mags aren't durable enough for my needs, and I've crushed enough metal midcaps of other brands to know that I need something built well.

I'm not trying to sound like a brute or anything, but... well, I am a bit rough on my gear. :D

Archived