Welcome to the RS Discussion Sub Forum!

bankz5152

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best move then.

Or play with pew-pew baby airsoft gunz LOLZ.

Long range rifle shooting I don't know much about. I have avoided looking as I will only make myself sad because I can't afford to do it :(

Shotguns? There are clubs everywhere. Ask around. Rural pubs, farms etc. people will fall over themselves to help you get into it :)

...Long range rifle shooting I don't know much about. I have avoided looking as I will only make myself sad because I can't afford to do it :(...

My airsoft buddies introduced me to a great private 1000yd range; I fear this discovery will cost me a great deal of money. 

Is there no IPSC with those bastardized 1911s in .22 if you can handle the aesthetics?

I think that sort of thing is mostly done with air pistols and airsoft.  Apart from anything I get the impression that those 'pistols' aren't particularly popular anyway (understandably).  Lot of hoops to jump through to get a sec1 just to own something that's barely even recognisable compared to the original anymore, not exactly a firearm that'd be easy to move around with quickly either I wouldn't think.  I'd imagine most people feel that a bolt action rifle or semi-auto shotgun is a much better overall investment of time and money, certainly what I'd go for.

I've seen a web store selling them which in turn of course means there's somebody making them, so there must be a market.. for some reason.

I seem to remember reading once (purely rumour mill stuff), that once doors are closed and only the trusted circle is present, people swap out the barrels for normal length and take off the stocks, which would be very easy.  Like I say though, 100% rumour.

The stocks can not be taken off and where do you you get a section 5 barrel from?  The guns have to be made with the rear extensions on, not added later or the gun remains a Section 5 item, so they can not be taken off.  That is why normal handguns can not be converted to UK Spec, otherwise there would be more of those bastardised "large firearms" available.  As it is it is a costly business to manufacture them and they have a small market, that is why only a few manufacturers have bothered.

Finally as an ex UK Firearms Certificate Holder and Handgun Shooter I take it as a personal insult to suggest any UK Shooters would be so stupid as to create and use Section 5 Weapons in any kind of organised manner.

Best move then.

Or play with pew-pew baby airsoft gunz LOLZ.

Long range rifle shooting I don't know much about. I have avoided looking as I will only make myself sad because I can't afford to do it :(

Shotguns? There are clubs everywhere. Ask around. Rural pubs, farms etc. people will fall over themselves to help you get into it :)

Long range shooting is the reason I joined my work's club. One thing I soon realised was that I would rather own a WW2 battle rifle, rather than some custom F class monster. I might not be drilling the V every shot at 500m, but I certainly enjoy it more. The battle rifle might be reasonably cheap, but ammunition does add up though!

I've seen a web store selling them which in turn of course means there's somebody making them, so there must be a market.. for some reason.

I seem to remember reading once (purely rumour mill stuff), that once doors are closed and only the trusted circle is present, people swap out the barrels for normal length and take off the stocks, which would be very easy.  Like I say though, 100% rumour.

As with Big Als comment, The stock/body weight/lengthener is not removable without cutting it off with power tools at which point it's obvious to everyone that you have done so, leaving you in hot water and 5" barrels would be illegal to own anyway.

I would rather have one of the old colt factory made "survival 1911" with the detachable stock on the MSH (welded into place to appease UK law) and stick with the .45acp rather than rimfire cartridges that jam all the gakking time.

I don't think you can do that either, all semi autos must be rimfire or smoothbore (Please someone correct that if I'm wrong)

Finally as an ex UK Firearms Certificate Holder and Handgun Shooter I take it as a personal insult to suggest any UK Shooters would be so stupid as to create and use Section 5 Weapons in any kind of organised manner.

lol.. yes, that's what I was doing, insulting civvie shooters.  Feel free to take offence if you like, might want to re-read the parts where I said "rumour I heard" though.  I was not suggesting that's what goes on.

As with Big Als comment, The stock/body weight/lengthener is not removable without cutting it off with power tools at which point it's obvious to everyone that you have done so, leaving you in hot water and 5" barrels would be illegal to own anyway.

I would rather have one of the old colt factory made "survival 1911" with the detachable stock on the MSH (welded into place to appease UK law) and stick with the .45acp rather than rimfire cartridges that jam all the gakking time.

I don't think you can do that either, all semi autos must be rimfire or smoothbore (Please someone correct that if I'm wrong)

Nope can't be done for two reasons.

1. As you say rimfire only for semi autos.

2. The stock would have to be milled as a part of the frame at the factory.  If a separate stock is welded on UK Law does not recognise it.

I'd like to shoot semi auto pistols at multiple targets.

You know, IPSC style.

You can shoot practical courses of fire in the UK with pistols - they just have to be UK legal pistols (30cm+ length barrels, overall length 60cm+ IIRC) or airsoft/co2 pistols. We shoot practical comps at my club in Bedford; people use all sorts of firearms from .357 revolvers, 22LR semi-auto pistol and rifles to Winchester repeating rifles. I tend to use my S&W MP15-22 for the comps although I do have a .22LR pistol I might try this year if I can find a left handed holster for it!

Here's an old video of one of our clubs practice nights.

Check out the UK practical shooting association website (link below)

http://www.ukpsa.co.uk/

Interesting! Looks really cool and much fun. I can't imagine its easy to get a .357 magnum though?

No problem at all, plenty of people have Taurus .357/.38 pistols down the club, its one of the more popular revolvers in use.

You can shoot practical courses of fire in the UK with pistols - they just have to be UK legal pistols (30cm+ length barrels, overall length 60cm+ IIRC) or airsoft/co2 pistols. We shoot practical comps at my club in Bedford; people use all sorts of firearms from .357 revolvers, 22LR semi-auto pistol and rifles to Winchester repeating rifles. I tend to use my S&W MP15-22 for the comps although I do have a .22LR pistol I might try this year if I can find a left handed holster for it!

Here's an old video of one of our clubs practice nights.

http://youtu.be/GlQjLm2yzUA

Check out the UK practical shooting association website (link below)

http://www.ukpsa.co.uk/

That is exactly what I want to get into. Shame we English folk are limited to .22 for semi autos by our retarded knee-jerking government.

That is exactly what I want to get into. Shame we English folk are limited to .22 for semi autos by our retarded knee-jerking government.

It is a real shame that people can't use centrefire pistols in the UK anymore for target shooting....except that in certain circumstances they can!

There are people at my club that regularly shoot pistols like Webleys and .45acp 1911 pistols on designated 'heritage' nights. The rules governing the use of these firearms are VERY strict though and include things like not being allowed to take the pistols home with you (they must be kept locked away at the club at all times). The firearm has to be original and dated before 1919 - no modern 1911's allowed!?

There are only a few places in the UK that are allowed to run these heritage sessions - less than 12 clubs in all.

I gave serious thought into applying for this on my FAC but in the end decided against it (waaay too expensive!)

link below to the historical breechloading small arms assoc.

https://sites.google.com/site/hbsauk/HBSA-what-we-do/heritage-pistol-section-7-1-7-3

Archived