I feel so emasculated right now.

aznriptide859

I watched a video the other day where a guy took a meteorite and made damascus out of it, then combined that with a chunk of railway track for the edge and made a sword.

The finished sword wasn't quite my style, but it was cool as hell to watch.

He's a girl too.

I read an article recently how traditional Japanese sword makers will spend days forging steel into something decent, where you can buy far higher grade from a foundry for way less time and money.

Apparently it's all *badger*s too about 'folding a blade 1000's of times' etc!

I know that's not the point, and I'm a fan of old customs and ways, but it did make you think a bit :)

Its the Japanese way, they like to do it their way, look at bows for example, they use a really large asymmetric bow,  they came into contact and fought with the Mongols who had much more efficient compound bows, did the Japanese pick one up and copy the technology, hell no they carried on using the traditional bow.  "We will continue to use the bows we know and we will practice with them until our technique is perfect!" 

Have you seen the other ones they've done? There's a bloody lovely axe and a massive bloody chisel (framing/chasing chisel, maybe?).

It's just lovely.

Also, with regards to steel, the thousand layers folding COULD have been useful, if they proper norse'd it up and folded it around a centre of harder steel, creating a laminated/damascus blade.

The idea of that is to have a 'softer' more flexible main part of blade, with the edge being made from stupendously hard (and as such, brittle) steel, which would cut better and hold an edge longer.

Side product of that is the awesome aesthetics you can get from damascus. And have a look at pattern welding, too. That craps crazy.

Archived