Oakleys Gascan actual eye protection or not?

The Sunshine Kid

Provided they say on your head and a pellet doesn't come in at a strange angle, this applies to all safety glasses though.  I love Oakleys and have boots half a dozen pairs of glasses and half dozens watches, but I still wear mesh goggles for skirmishing.

The lenses are up to the task, but I'd never wear what are essentially just average sunglasses for airsoft myself.  There's more than likely going to be enough gap for a shot to get in and *fruitcage* up one of your eyes and at the you'd certainly want some sort of extra band to go behind your head and keep them on securely.

Personally, I don't recommend 'shooting glasses' that to anyone.  If you search around you can read up on the stories from people who've taken hits in the eye from unlucky shots that got through the gaps; makes me feel queasy just reading them.

Plenty of people do run them in games every week and are ok, but for me, not having a full seal around my eye pro is not acceptable.  Also I've seen that type (various brands) fail on numerous occasions when it comes to the lens connection to the frame.  My brother hit his head in to a low beam the last game we were at and knocked the lenses clear out of the frames of his eye pro, had to stop the entire game.  Can that happen with goggles?  I'd imagine it's possible, but it's a lot less likely in my experience and I wouldn't wanna be that guy losing his eye pro mid-game for a whole multitude of reasons.

I have to agree with CKinnerley. Plus the amount of 'shooting glasses' I've seen fog up is unreal, but I have a feeling that's the Titanic effect.

I have a pair of ANSI rated safety glasses that I take to games with me just for the chrono and shooting range. Then for the games themselves I set up my full seal goggles which are so comfy I could wear them all day if people didn't look at me weird for not taking them off at lunch *shrugs*

I've got a set of Gascans do you want me to bring them along so you can see how they fit your face next time were at Finny?  I've worn shooting glasses for the 8 years I've been playing, most of the time Oakleys as well, as long as there isn't a gap for the BB to get to your eyes and they stay on your face you should be fine.

The trick to using shooting glasses is try them on first, whats great for one person may not be for the next depending on the shape/size of your head/face some of the older M frame style really left gaps on my face but the new Radar shape doesn't.

Unless your eye pro is fully sealed around your face its not eye protection. All they will do is protect from frontal strikes. If your on a staircase, up a tree, leaning round and bb could easily make its through the small gap and potentially hit your eye. 

That said you could easily buy some sticky backed foam cut it precisely and fit it to the glasses yourself + a band to keep em on your head. 

I don't even trust Oakley M-Frames. Got to remember theres a massive difference between glasses built for soldiers and the like and glass built for airsoft. As mentioned above there are shooting glasses and being shot at glasses.  

Archived