Halo MA5 Assault Rifle - Testing the water

bankz5152

Now before I start this is going to take some time, possibly until theres confirmation on the Evike one or not. So after seeing Evike is potentially releasing the Halo Assault Rifle a day after I thought about turning a prop into one I got more excited. 

Alas i'll continue. Plan is to us a hollow fibreglass pre-built prop as I do not have Renegades god like skills to make my own. Probably from this guy here -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251652670443?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Got the measurements for it as well -

33" X 3" X 11" (L X W X H)

Stock is around 6.5" / 165 mm long

That said im unsure as to what his finished products look like, to me the prop looks a little short and stubby. Or is that just me?

$_57.JPG

Halo_CEA_MA5B.png

Ideally I want to build the MA5-D, just looks more 'right'. However no one does a kit I can use to make one, the ones that do are not hollow. This is also why I may well wait until/if the Evike version is released. If it isn't I may decide to make the MA37 - Halo Reach, which looks better and is more detailed but its not the iconic assault rifle we all love but has more space in the rear.... 

The idea is to get a cheap WE PDW then strip it down externally making it as small as possible then using what remains as the internals. So essentially stuff the whole PDW inside. I measured up my M4 from magwell to the end of the receiver which comes out at 195mm, 30mm longer than the prop. Shouldnt be too hard to knock up an extended stock piece. 

To secure the PDW the idea is to have left & right female RIS attachments where the front of the PDW would sit and and at the top at the rear, so it can slide in and out for maintenance. Then a long inner barrel running near to the length of the prop kit. 

Then use a P90 style trigger mechanism. Essentially a solid pull trigger with bars reaching to the rear to engage the PDW trigger. Mag release, bolt stop would all be extended to the props outer body using hollow ali tube & some long hex screws. As for the charging handle it should line up just below the cheek rest at the rear un-modified however If it proves reliable I will attempt to move it forward to be slightly more accurate. 

Got a friend of mine who can build me a round counter, should be functional as well.

The kit itself will be internally reinforced using fibreglass sheet where ever possible. I will also use some high density foam to reinforce/further support the PDW in the rear. So It should sit nice a snug. Depending on how much space I end up having at the make it will be run off VN mags though some preliminary research looks like full size mags should fit while remaining hidden, however that was on the MA5-D.

More of a get my thoughts out, get some feedback, there wont be any real progress until after xmas earliest. 

Finally -

First person to suggest make it an AEG gets an internet slap. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Little update. It looks like the airsoft version WILL be released! Just by Ehobby Asia not Evike (good news :) ) secondly also found another prop maker who does the MA5-D in resin but looks hollow enough to fit internals, possibly even actual internals (i.e not using a PDW as an internal chassis as I mentioned above) 

Though I reckon the purpose built airsoft version will be cheaper and easier to convert to GBBR.

Borrowed a mates WE M4 see if it is possible to cut the bolt in half and remove the need for a buffer tube. In short yes it is possible.

However it involves making a new charging handle system and a new return spring. Easiest way to make the return spring would be to make it like the Gen2 OB WE PDWs. A spring that pulls the bolt forward rather than pushes it.

Id prefer to use an M4 as they are cheaper and can be stripped down smaller than a PDW.

On my phone my spelling will suck

Ahhh cheers bud! Looks like what I want to do is totally possible then.

Looking at the WE it looks asthough it will keep full auto function due to the different trigger group design.

First thing ill do is get the parts together for the new recoil system, maybe even build a little of it.

Next will be waiting for word on the Ehobby MA5 and deciding from there.

On my phone my spelling will suck

• 3 weeks later...

Been look at my mates G5 while it would be almost perfect its just too long to fit any of the models I have found. Unless I make my own internal system out of a G5, which I dont have the time or skill to do I can't do it. 

So I will be waiting till the (hopefully) Ehobby MA5 is released...  

• 1 month later...

Update here!

Finally found a high/decent quality, hollow replica of the MA5-D from Etsy. Coming all the way from South Carolina... Not sure when it will arrive but pics as soon as it does. 

Then comes the hard part... I've got an engineer friend who said he would help me out so should work out quite well I hope. Also really want to of Land Warrior, I would really love to create a higher quality, bullpup, GBBR, with a working ammo counter - 32 rounds of course. 

Internal weapon choices are still TBD. Though as mentioned I do have access to a G5 & an M4. Hopefully I can get a system that will fit. 

A friend of mine though about using a smaller bolt carrier/BBU in conjunction with M4 mags. No idea how hard this will be however....

So heres the cast I got. Being dispatched this week, should arrive 10 days from then.

It is 1:1 scale and 35.5 inches long, as you can see the magazine is removable. Once it arrives I will be measuring up the stock, see what I can effectively get inside there

il_570xN.714586074_7rus.jpg

Archived