Magnetic Weapon Retainer?

Liquid_snake

I had a dream last night, and it was about magnets. 

I shant bore you all with the intricate, and often confusing, aspects of this particular dream but it got me thinking about the old magnets that the doors used to be on back in my school days. Now these magnets were fairly large and required pressing of a release button in order to break the attraction, very stiff items indeed. 

This had me pondering as to the application in carrying one's airsoft weapons as I for one when I found out in real life rifles tend to flop all over the place whilst on slings to be rather disappointing compared to the rock-solid load-bearing systems in games. So upon a quick googling of the matter I've found that my multi-million pound dream has already been taken and hence why I'm sharing this with you all currently instead of phoning the patent office. The best offering thus far appears to be Platatac's system which is simply a disc in a MOLLE pouch, although I would intend to run this system with a cut-down shotty rather than a full rifle. I realise this would involve attaching a matching magnet onto the side of the gun which isn't a problem due to the lack of a metal body (it would be running with a DE M56).

Has anyone got any experience with such products? Realistically I need the magnet to be able to hold the gun without It spinning around or indeed simply not being strong enough and dropping the gun, albeit there isn't much weight in it. 

Edit: Link to the Platatac offering: http://www.platatac.com/platatac-magnetic-weapons-attachment.html

I had this thought a little while ago. I was going to take a couple of square plate neo magnets and store them in a mag pouch on my back to retain my AK. But im not prepered to spend about $100 in magnets just to test a theory.

Though using a smaller magnet in addition to a sling is a good idea, i was thinking that the magnet had to be so strong that it was actually difficult to pull the weapon away from it.

This seems only applicable to steel-based weapons, AKA nothing from the M4 family (IIRC almost every airsoft M4 is made from either pot metal or aluminum, both of which are not significantly magnetic).

Same concept applies for mags (e.g. why those Eagle pistol mag pouches don't really work for GBB mags).

I suspect that once you get something strong enough to hold a RIF in place it'll be too strong to remove as fast as you would like, or at all. Also as you point out if you use a single magnet you would have problems with spinning. the use of two points for holding a RIF would work but then you have to be able to line up the gun with the two, or more, magnets. This may also mean you would likely have to have a rigid carrierwith magnets at either end which makes for another awkward item to carry. Also, most RIFs aren't manufactured from a magnetic metal anyway.

Nice idea but i suspect its restricted to being a cool functional accessory on the Mjolnir armour in Halo.

I really wouldn't think that the RIF would need to be ferrous in construction, it's not like there aren't plenty of ways to attach another small magnet or piece of steel to the forend of the gun so as to keep it out of the way with a 1-pt to take the weight.

Same concept applies for mags (e.g. why those Eagle pistol mag pouches don't really work for GBB mags).

Did Eagle do magnetic ones?  Their 'FB' pouches have formed inserts (plastic I presume) and Tac Tailor do their 'MagnaMag' pistol pouches.  Crying shame there's no way they'd work with the majority of airsoft magazines, nearly bought one once before I actually thought about it and about the materials used for GBB handgun mags.

I was hoping to run this system with a cut down DE-M56 shotty, the idea was to have it running on my back, on the right hand shoulder. I had intended to glue/attach a magnet to the ejector side of the gun to hold it in place but then started pondering what I've already described in this thread. I think perhaps at least one small buckle-type retaining loop would be needed, but would have to mounted fairly high up, maybe looped through the trigger guard in order for it to be undone quickly and easily. With that in mind however I think perhaps a better place to add a magnet would be the end of the barrel, yet one could overcome this with the use of a butchered open top mag pouch to simply slot the gun into and allow bare minimum needed retention without needing a bulky scabbard. Although on further thought reholstering the gun would be a hassle as your working with hands literally behind your back searching for the damn mag pouch and loop clip, I think in this manner the magnet would be hugely advantageous allowing a "snap-on" feature and ultimately halving the process.

Having gone full circle on this problem I've also been interested in mounting the shotty sideways across my lower back, just above belt line thus avoiding bashing elbows off the gun whilst using a primary. The open top mag idea would be better here albeit needing the investment in sidey-ways mounting adaptors. I believe it would work if the retaining strap attached to the trigger guard is moved slightly farther toward the mag pouch side thus adding a bit of tension to the whole affair, perhaps even looping it over the back of the pistol grip would push the gun both inward to the back and down into the mag-pouch acting as a "cup" of sorts.

All food for thought, I shall be experimenting over christmas when said shotty arrives, although its coming in "AL" flavour and thus to investigate this argument further I'll need to a) Decide if I want to essentially half the gun and B ) find out if it will be a viable skirmishing secondary or CQB laugh to replace the overly long AK74.    

Archived