The need for STEEEEEL - recommend me a steel slide GBB

swatti

Sitting here devouring all airsoft news hoping something in my wishlist is being turned into an AEG I noticed I keep messing around with my 1911... Cycling the slide, pulling the hammer back, etc.

Before I start calling it "my precious" I decided to buy another pistol, STEEEEEL one.

Victim of my near perverted fondness is a Inokatsu M1911A1 "LE" and I proud to skirmish her. But I want more...

Since Christmas is coming I have the perfect excuse to buy something stupid and here's hoping it won't be from the local Mercedes dealer...

My initial idea was KSC MK23 with a steel slide but what other options are there "readily available" - no overpriced collectors bling, I want skirmishable gun. Price range being around 1k like the Ino was in its day, if less, all the better.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TM XDM with SPD Steel Slide and wii-tech nozzle with some SA springs

TM HK45 with RA-Tech Steel slide and cut Guarder 1911 spring

WE vs RA-Tech Gen 4 Glock 17 with WE COmag

Stark Arms Glock 17 full steel version (best marking, surface finish and kick harder than the WE build, also sounds the most like a real Glock unlike the WE ones where the sound is too "metallic") with fat base Stark Arms COmag (WE CO2 works too but not optimal) 

RA-Tech stainless Hi-capa with KJW CO2 magazine, hard to believe but it kicks harder than the full steel Kimber Royal II or Ino 1911... 

WE M&P9 vs RA-Tech steel slide and barrel with WE big bird CO2 magazine, it works, but you have to remember, we're talking about a WE M&P9 here

Mystery brand KJW based steel M9 with pot metal body with KJW M9 CO2 magazine, probably will require a lot of work to make it "look right", and already quite pricey if you can find it. 

The only steel slide I have is for the Marui P226 and I don't recommend it. In the long run, my stock P226E2 is cheaper to maintain, performs better, more consistent, etc.

Is a steel pistol even skirmishable?

You can, but in my opinion it cost me a lot and it wasn't nearly as effective as my stock pistol. I suppose it also depends on what you feel is "skirmishable"...I feel my steel Marui P226 is not "skirmishable", but others might disagree.

...? I've exclusively used only steel slide pistols for years, that XDM looks nothing like it does in that video now mainly because of how battered it is as it is my go-to pistol... it works like you see in the video above 9 months out of 12 in the UK weather, and competitive enough that I don't feel like I'm handicapping myself, I mean, it's a sidearm, I only use it at close quarter, and as long as one charge of gas can shoot all the rounds and lock the slide back... that's all I need. 

Steel has a close density to zinc. If you're able to use a pot metal slide normally where you play then the performance of steel wouldn't be too far off. Some slides are just designed chunkier, like say the P226 making the weight go up significantly which puts their acceptable operable temperatures higher. Want for anything steel I'd say choose guns that are equipped to handle it like large bore BBUs e.g. XDM, HK45, Mk23, Volante's Glock and 1911 upgrades.

I'd prefer to stay out of 1911s unless there's a non-railed long-nose SVI with 3.8 slide aviable... Kinda like Helsing's gun but short slide.

"Anyone? Well f... "

My Inokatsu is VERY skirmishable. In my evil experiments I managed to annihilate the original loading-nozzle so I swapped that to a metal-version and finetuned the cycle into less gas for the round, more for blowback.

I use refillable 12g capsules on it. Unless you fill em straight out of the freezer they won't take full 12 grams and still the inokatsu locks the slide back after full mag.

The factory-steel Glocks sound tempting, I can't say anything bad about the HK45 and the XDM but for some reason they don't seem so tempting.

Full steel M9 would rock but steel slide and pot-metal frame is a no no.

It looks like it comes down to MK23 and the Glock. From those two the MK23 wins due to me being epic Metal Gear fanboi and I'm not sure what mags to get for the Glock. Are those Glocks tm clones?

Actually no, I was going to say speculations only but since you're actually quite specific about it being a MK23, we probably won't see it for a while. They are releasing the USP compact this month, so it's only a matter of time before full sized USP's released, then another wait for people to start making accessories / steel kit for it, but even then that's only the USP, not the MK23.  

And thus and lo did many Christmastimes pass with no further sign in the heavens of a GBB MK23 from TM that would fit all the previous accessories and also accept a steel side.

And all the airsofters that had one with a steel slide, blessed though they be, did yelp as the mighty chunk of steel did pull down their trousers with it's sheer mass.

Steel is lovely but I'd suggest you need C02. They cycle on green but sluggishly and you won't get many shots out.

Theres quite few videos out there that say otherwise.

That sais, i WILL use CO2 if such option exists as i have the refillable capsules and thus CO2 is allmost free for me.

The factory-steel Glocks sound tempting, I can't say anything bad about the HK45 and the XDM but for some reason they don't seem so tempting.

Full steel M9 would rock but steel slide and pot-metal frame is a no no.

It looks like it comes down to MK23 and the Glock. From those two the MK23 wins due to me being epic Metal Gear fanboi and I'm not sure what mags to get for the Glock. Are those Glocks tm clones?

Like Blobface says, the Mk.23 really doesn't work very well. The slide is massive, in every sense of the word, and simply overpowers the old-fashioned KSC BBU. You would be much better served by something built on TM's newer 15mm architecture - the HK45 or xDM being the obvious candidates. As his videos demonstrate, those function really quite well just using propane, which is certainly more than can be said for my Inokatsu P226 (CO2 or nothing, really). If they don't do it for you, the Stark Arms G17 would be the most economical and certainly a very good choice - it's incredible value for money compared to all the other options. To throw a few more options into the mix:

• KSC/KWA HK USP - I wouldn't touch this for the same reasons I wouldn't buy the Mk.23 - it's too old-fashioned to support the slide's greater weight and the hop-up unit sucks.
  • KSC/KWA Beretta M9 - Again, I wouldn't personally buy this for much the same reasons as the above, but I think you can get nice aluminium frames for these so that shouldn't put you off.
  • TM SIG Sauer P226 - The slides are I think available under other brands for less money, and with KJW CO2 magazines and Wii-Tech's aluminium nozzle this gun is extremely competent if also extremely expensive. You can buy nice aluminium frames (from PGC, for example) and full steel control sets from Guarder to complement the slide. Not cheap, though.
  • VFC Walther PPQ - This has got to be the wild card of the group. I've never even seen one of these, and would be interested to see how it performs.

The logical choice here is definitely the Stark Arms GLOCK 17, though.

Have you looked at SRC's new steel M92f?

Why would you go to all the trouble of casting, machining and (badly) finishing stainless steel 92-series slides and frames, and then not engrave them and sell them under SRC's brand? Bizarre.

[EDIT]I take it back - for just an extra $40, you can get a 'Special Edition' which apparently does have trades. God, the finish on the slide is bad.[/EDIT]

That 92 in my eyes looks quite nice. SRC as far as I know don't make their own stuff so what is it based on?

Looks like she's co2-fed, I VERY MUCH approve and SRC seems to make the mags too...

I have a soft spot for SRC, I loved their XM8 and the gen3 G36-models have the best texture in the plastic if slightly unrealistic.

I've been hoping for a steel Beretta but this thing totally slipped under my radar.

With the TM rumours and mixed feelings about the KSC MK23 il put that on ice for the time being.

Details-wise it has the front lower frame of a M9 and not 92f or am I wrong?

That said, I'd go for the unmarked version, save 40 bucks, ditch the ugly grips for RS M9 grips and have local trophy-shop carve M9 markings on it.

I'm not sure what the coating process is called but there's a course making black-powder muskets etc and they black-coat their guns. Since it's steel, I could have mine coated too.

A little project sure won't hurt, the Inokatsu was "boring" as there was nothing to do.

Suppose I did all the mods mentioned, would that be a "M9" or how are the two different? M9 and M92f.

I can live with minor imperfections for that sub 500 price tag as long as it runs good and locks the slide back after last round.

But a small recap: SRC Beretta

- what system is it? Parts, faults, issues...

- can I turn it into M9? Looks like a M9 frame, what else do I need?

Archived