CAR-15 Survival Rifle?

Lowprofile

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'CAR-15 Survival Rifle

A simplified, lightened AR-15 developed for the US Air Force by Colt in the mid 1960s, officially designated the Colt Model 608.  
Intended for use by downed helicopter and aircrews, it was hoped that aCAR-15 would offer more fire-power to aircrews who had previously relied on pistol and .38 revolvers.  With a 10 inch barrel surrounded by a tubular handguard, a shortened pistol grip and simplified fixed stock the rifle could be broken down easily and stored in the aircraft until needed.

They weighed just under 5 lbs and measured 29 inches long.  They were often stowed with standard 20-round mags, they lacked the characteristic triangular shaped Bakelite barrel furniture and the M16A1’sforward assist and were fitted with a conical muzzle flash hider not seen on any other AR-15 or a moderator'

When did they stop using this?

I'm thinking something like this'd be perfect for those that play the "downed pilot"  in the named objectives at a lot of games for that extra bit of realisim.

Depends on the era don't you think? If it was to be a contemporary CSAR scenario then a MP5k would be more realistic imho.

Why the wonky stock and receiver extension? They could have just stuck with the usual CAR-15 furniture and keep with the same portability when the receiver is split.

Probably because this came first, or at least before the Car-15 Sliding Stock was that well known.

When did they stop using this?

I'm thinking something like this'd be perfect for those that play the "downed pilot"  in the named objectives at a lot of games for that extra bit of realisim.

Don't think it ever got past prototype, so they never started let alone stopped using it.

Personally I reckon its the ugliest AR Derived Design ever.

The only benefit I can see over other compact AR's of the time would be width? All the furniture seems to have been modified to be thinner, not shorter. So it's possible it was designed to be stowed in a large but thin place on the air units of the time?

Its interesting and I like it... As a concept its a bit *badger*s though. They did their best to make it smaller however stuff like a cut down pistol grip and slimline foregrip doesn't make up for the buffer tube and stock.

What - if any - was this intended to replace?

M1 carbine para model seems a far better option imo

It was supposed to replace the revolvers aircrew were issued.

They weren't expected to fight their way out of Dodge with these survival weapons. They'd be using them to shoot food to survive on.

It would have been packed down in a canvas bag with other gear inside the fuselage.

And weird calibre etc. stuff won't fly since the bullets aren't in the supply chain.

Older than the XM177 (609/10) but the spring loaded, triangular, stubby stocked 607 is older still seeing as how the survival rifle is designated 608. I'm thinking more on cost effectiveness, them assuming how little use it would probably get. Even that short pistol grip was taken from some 607s.

There's very little info on the 608, so not sure of the why's and how's. According to Black Rifle Vol 1, something like less than 10 of these were made. Anyone's guess I suppose. Not for nothing, but the 607 stock isn't spring loaded (at least I'm aware of)...from the real gun replica that I've seen (the version pinned down onto the lower), it's actually a very simple design, but definitely has more moving parts than the later 600 series stock.

I've always though they were spring loaded. Honestly I've only handled a TM and that one definitely had a spring inside. Not sure though if it already had one or the owner put one in.

Yes, I believe the Airsoft version of the stocks came with a spring (not sure why)...on the real gun, I think the lock lever might have had a spring to keep it in the locked position, but the stock most definitely didn't shoot out when it was unlocked (you had to unlock and then pull).

You can see in the photos there's a cross pin hole drilled into the lower since "608's" didn't have an end plate like the later carbines. This was the only way to secure the detent pin spring for the rear take down pin (on the "607" the same roll pin also held the lower lock rod in place). Therefore, if you're going for an AEG, I would think the only option would be a battery in the forward grip which would be a real pain to switch out (unless you have exposed wires in the back)? The grip might also be an issue, unless there's some sort of shorter motor you can use.

If you're making a gas blow back version, then you might need to drill that hole as most have the detent spring (at least PRIME lowers do).

It'll be an interesting project...

• 4 weeks later...

Great project choice; those early CAR 15's are fascinating, and your survival rifles distinctive handguard is pretty cool.

Ive always wanted loved the really early carbines, particularly with the iconic short mag and triangular handguards, which were just cut-downs.

I think this model xcould take crazy work to achieve, though. I really, really dislike the stock.

• 2 weeks later...

If you did build one it would have to be a GBBR since the shorened pistol grip would be far too short for an AEG motor. I'm a fan of obscure and strange Cold War era prototypes, would be interesting if someone did make one.

By sacrificing a bit of realism, a great stand-in grip for an AEG replica-ish version of this would be the VFC PDW pistol grip, which uses a medium-type motor (the decreased realism would be compensated by making the rifle better looking and more usable):

http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/product_detail1.php?item=VFC-PT-PDW34

This is the pistol grip which was used on the incredibly cute-looking VFC SR-635:

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/vfc-sr-635-aeg.html

According to VFC's site, they also make a Dark Earth version of the PDW pistol grip, couple one of those with a painted custom funky stock and handguard and a painted 20-round STANAG or a DE PMAG 20 for a more contemporary, two-tone CAR-15 Survival Rifle look :D.

It does look pretty spot on, but have you thought about how the handguard and stock? To me, the funkiest car15's were the early attempts at making carbines, and i did actually build one years ago; all you really need is an m4, a set of triangular handguards and D-ring, and of course the old-school mag, flashider, stubby stock- youre just cutting the handguard down to fit the shorter barrel its exactly what colt did on the real early models and imo one of the coolest black rifles ever: the iconic vietnam m16 squashed down. But thats simple youre just slightly modding off-the shelf parts, but that handguard and stock exist only as blueprints.....lets say I dont envy you.

Archived