How To Connect My Old Third Party Modem To My New Supplier?

Tommygunn

The story goes that I was with my previous internet provider for whom I purchased a third party modem (TP-Link TD-W8951ND) because the supplied modem was naff. This and the previous modem worked flawlessly with my house burglar alarm and the connected dial out alert system, when everything was running and active.

However, I changed internet providers about 3 or 4 months ago and the modem which they supplied is not compatible with the burglar alarm, dial out alert system. Basically, if the modem is left on and the alarm is activated/tested the dial out alert is blocked by dial tone, noise etc and the designated phones will not receive a pre-recorded alert message.

Therefore, my question is, how do I go about getting my new internet line to work with my previous TP-Link modem?

This is quite crucial since my brother-in-law lives next door and he uses our internet. We are going away for Christmas and, of course, want the alarm fully active.

Cheers,

Tom.

The story goes that I was with my previous internet provider for whom I purchased a third party modem (TP-Link TD-W8951ND) because the supplied modem was naff. This and the previous modem worked flawlessly with my house burglar alarm and the connected dial out alert system, when everything was running and active.

However, I changed internet providers about 3 or 4 months ago and the modem which they supplied is not compatible with the burglar alarm, dial out alert system. Basically, if the modem is left on and the alarm is activated/tested the dial out alert is blocked by dial tone, noise etc and the designated phones will not receive a pre-recorded alert message.

Therefore, my question is, how do I go about getting my new internet line to work with my previous TP-Link modem?

This is quite crucial since my brother-in-law lives next door and he uses our internet. We are going away for Christmas and, of course, want the alarm fully active.

Cheers,

Tom.

It should just be a case of plugging your laptop into the modem once it's on the local network (Or simply browse to it) and then call your new provider, and ask for the authentication username // password. Your router will then connect and authenticate.

Doc,

I plugged the modem and my computer in and most of the lights come on, as they should, except the crucial one which is internet to the outside world light - not even red.

Thing is, in the change over to my current supplier, I'm sure their modem was simply plug and play. I don't recall entering any info at all, no fandagled numbers/codes into 'Network Connections' or 'Internet Options' and not even a user/email and password. Mind you I've hit my head a few times and had a few beers since then.

I seem to remember trying my 3rd party modem at the time of receiving the new modem and connection, out of curiosity, and not really understanding why it wouldn't work since I had to do very little to setup the new modem - just cables and, from memory, zero keyboard input.

Tom.

Archived